PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush with Cermark cleaning?

Randy Digby
02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
So, what do you clean your airbrush with when spraying Cermark - water or DNA or other?

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
DNA, I buy at least a quart size, you have to run a lot of it through to get it clean.

Dee Gallo
02-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Randy,

When you are done spraying, dump the extra cermark into the container, take the cup off, turn the brush upside down and spray it wide open into a garbage can/paper towel to empty it. Don't bother spraying DNA, it's a waste and it wears your cone faster.

I recommend getting a small (3-4") plastic bowl and filling it partway with DNA. Drop your parts in there so they're covered as you dismantle the airbrush. Clean the cone and tip first, and use a wired (scrubby) pipe cleaner to swab them out in the DNA bath.Use a green scrubby or small strip of sheetrock sanding screen on the outside. Shake them off , coat with dish soap and wash again in water. By now the soaking paint cup should be practically clean, just swoosh it around, use the pipe cleaner to clean out the siphon, the screen works well on the cup's inside, soap and wash again. With practice, this will take a hot minute or 2 at the most.

Put the brush back together and spray air through it for a second and you're good to go next time.

This technique uses the least amount of DNA and time. Just remember to remove the set screw over a towel AWAY from the sink or you WILL lose it. It's a rule. I've seen it a thousand times. Each piece should be handled carefully and set aside on a towel so they don't roll around and go down the sink. I've had to take apart plenty of traps after a student lost his cone or tip with slippery soapy fingers.

These parts are only white metal, so they dent easily - don't drop them! And just turn the set screw hand tight. The body is also white metal and it's easy to strip when you unscrew and screw those things a million times.

This is the voice of experience speaking, good luck!

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
02-21-2010, 8:25 AM
I just dump every piece in a cup of water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes... come back, blow/wipe everything dry, put it in storage. Never had a problem.

Darryl Hazen
02-21-2010, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the mini-tutorial Dee ! :)

Gary Hair
02-21-2010, 1:57 PM
I just dump every piece in a cup of water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes... come back, blow/wipe everything dry, put it in storage. Never had a problem.

Ditto, water works fine for me.

Dee Gallo
02-21-2010, 6:48 PM
It is always procedure to clean with whatever thinner is specified. I just checked my Cermark jar, and Ferro does recommend water for thinning and cleaning. So the cleaning with water Dan recommends is the right thing to do.

I jumped on the DNA suggestion before I checked my facts, but the cleaning of an airbrush is always the same anyway. The DNA instructions are what I would do for shellac. For Cermark, just use water.

A pristine airbrush is the only way to guarantee results.

Sorry if I confused you or anyone else in any way!

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
02-21-2010, 7:04 PM
Dee,

Some of the Cermark types (Thermark is another brand, too) use water as a base, others use DNA. It won't matter either way, though, so use whatever you're happiest with...

Randy Digby
02-21-2010, 7:27 PM
Thanks for your replies. I had cleaned it last night with water before I posted and I guess now that was ok. I guess I'll find out how good I cleaned it when I go down in about an hour to use it again.

Good point about thinning Cermark with water. I never read the label, just thinned it with DNA last night. Of course, we all know that shredders were invented immediately after instruction manuals! :)

Thanks gang.

Dan Hintz
02-21-2010, 8:13 PM
I think mine with DNA so that it evaporates more quickly... nothing wrong with it as water and DNA mix without issue.