to use as a glue pot. The lowest setting
of the heat control heats the water to
155-160 degree's. I am looking for
145-150. Will a router speed controller
work to control the temperature?
Thanks for your help Peter

Danny Burns
02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
The temperature of the water is not the temperature of the glue inside the pot.
Usually there is a 10 degree difference or so, varying on air temperature.

You should be very close with your pot set on low.

Loren Hedahl
02-20-2010, 11:29 PM
A router speed control would work great!

I used one for awhile on my Rival pot until I noted that the glue temperature was very close to 145deg with the pot set as low as possible and the speed control as high as possible. So now I just hook it up dierct.

Dan O'Sullivan
03-17-2010, 7:05 PM
I have been using the Rival Hot Pot Express for 3 years now. I put a pirex measuring cup(1cup size) in the Rival. I fill the Rival at least half full with water. I fill the pirex measuring cup half way with hot hide glue. I need 160 degree water to maintain the glue cup at 140. I have tested this temperature relationship many times. My temperature control dial is not at the bottom.(all the way to the left-counter clockwise)

Note: I keep the lid down when maintaining the 140 glue. Additionally, the more water in the Rival, the more constant the glue temp stays near 140.

This is a funny post when I think of the details. On a visit to Colonial Williamsburg, the guys had their pot sitting above a fire. They kept it warm and got to work. So, if you keep it near 130-150 I think you will be OK.

dan