PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting, SSL, Domain Names oh my!

Scott Shepherd
02-20-2010, 8:17 PM
I've worked myself into a brain freeze here. I registered a domain name some time ago with one company. I liked them as you can pay monthly if you so wish. However, the account I registered it on does some stupid stuff to the original domain name that's tied to the account and I need to have a dedicated IP address, all of which isn't possible with it's current setup. So I go to move it to a new account and you have to pay in advance for a year, which I don't want to do. So I decide to move the account to a new company that will allow more flexible payment options.

I don't want the domain name and the hosting at the same place. I had that go south on me once before and I just don't want them in the same place now.

So I setup a new account with "B" and my domain is registered through "A". I got the new nameserves for "B" and I input them into the account at "A". All is good there.

"B" is still setting up my account so I don't have the ability to see and do all I will be able to do, so I'm asking this because I can't recall how it works and I can't get into it to the level I need to because they haven't got it all setup yet.

So the question is that I have a dedicated IP and I have a SSL certificate that needs to be installed. Does the SSL certificate get installed on "B", or does that go with the domain name that's on "A". When I clicked on it on "B", it said basically "the domain name is not registered with us" and it wants me to move it over, which I really don't want to do unless I have to.

I used to know all this stuff, but for the life of me, I can't recall if it goes with the domain name or if it goes with the hosting account.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

paul cottingham
02-20-2010, 9:16 PM
If I understand what you are asking the ssl certificate goes on the server where you are being hosted.

Darren Null
02-21-2010, 2:24 PM
Short answer: SSL cert goes on "B"

Domain name in one account. You can often buy the SSL certificate from here too.
I use & recommend namecheap.com and the $10/yr SSL certificates they do.
Point your domain at the hosting by editing the DNS server setting here. Your host should tell you the name of the DNS servers to use in the welcome email.

Hosting. This is where you buy the space and the IP address (you have to have an IP address for an SSL certificate to work). You install the SSL certificate here by:
1) Generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) (either use SSL/TLS manager in cPanel, or email support & get them to do it for you)
2) Take your CSR to where you bought the SSL certificate from and use the CSR to get a certificate generated
3) Take your certificate back to your hosting and install it (either use SSL/TLS manager in cPanel, or email support & get them to do it for you)

I use these guys for hosting: http://www.1websiteshostingpromotions.com/
$10/yr (+$50/yr for an IP address). Cheap, cheerful, have a proper cPanel and you can always move to expensive hosting if you run out of toys.

PM me if you need talking through anything.