PDA

View Full Version : Bad Moon A'Risin' - or......??

John Keeton
02-20-2010, 6:06 PM
or Saturn, or Halo Moon, or.....????

No. 15. I think this piece is either one you love or hate. My wife likes it, so that is a plus!:)

Claro Walnut, and some more of the Big Leaf Maple burl that was left over from the hollow form. 8 3/4" x 1 3/8". BLO, shellac, and one coat of Deft satin so far.

This is pretty far out there, so be honest with me on this one. If ya' hate it, I can take it! Even if it looks horrible, you gotta admit - the wood is purty!:D

Ain't you all sick of these yet??!!??:confused:

Dennis Ford
02-20-2010, 6:14 PM
I am certainly NOT tired of seeing your posts, you have been doing some great work. The workmanship on this one is very good, but the details detract from the wood in my opinion.

Kevin J Lalonde
02-20-2010, 6:23 PM
Mr. John all I can say is "KEEP UM COMIN"! I started turning a couple months before you and to be honest as you have seen my posts, I AM IN NO WAY THE SAME LEAGUE YOU ARE IN BUDDY!! Thats a really sharp looking piece. Great job.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2010, 6:32 PM
John that is a beauty. Really well done. All I can say is keep'em coming. Oh and if the wife likes it we don't count I hope ya know.:D;)

David Christopher
02-20-2010, 6:35 PM
John, I see some great craftsmanship and beautiful wood but I dont care for the design....but on another note you are puttin these things out like a machine,
that is great from a reformed flat worker:D

Steve Mawson
02-20-2010, 6:43 PM
What Bernie said about the wife. You know that already though I am sure. Can't say this piece does a lot for me however I am very impressed with you exploration of different techniques and forms. This piece has to be "art" so who am I to judge that, most of the things I do would be more on the functional side. Just me but the stand takes something away from the piece.

Did you turn the burl on this piece or turn and then apply? As fast as you are turning out new pieces you must be HIGH on something-oh turning of course:cool::D. Keep at it man, I enjoy looking at everything you do.

Fred Perreault
02-20-2010, 6:45 PM
John, you are a great contribution to the site.
Please, keep it up............

Bob Borzelleri
02-20-2010, 7:10 PM
John...

I'm not a platter guy (yet, I guess), but I like what you did here. I agree with an earlier post that the stand detracts from the shape/design or maybe adds to it in a way that takes away from the platter. I'd like to see it shot without any visible support.

...Bob

Brian Brown
02-20-2010, 7:11 PM
John,

Put me on the love it list.

Steve Schlumpf
02-20-2010, 7:19 PM
John,

Excellent!

You got the turning stuff down pretty good - now we have to start thinking about the photos....

David E Keller
02-20-2010, 7:53 PM
It's certainly beautiful wood, and it's a very interesting form. I don't care for the addition of the contrasting burl... at least not in the way it currently appears. It's just a little too busy for me.

Great execution and nice wood, but I'm just not crazy about it.

John Keeton
02-20-2010, 8:10 PM
Thanks guys, for the honest comments, and for letting me post my whimsical pieces!!:D

I knew this piece wasn't for everyone. There was a pretty good chunk of the burl left, and I knew if I could turn away part of it, and leave some voids, it would be very rustic. The Claro had some nice grain in the rough, but it surprised me with how it turned out - very heavy.

The inspiration for this piece was a large metal decorator piece we have on the mantle. It turned out pretty much as I had envisioned it (which can only mean I have a sick mind!:rolleyes:) Granted, it is busy!

Just me but the stand takes something away from the piece.

Did you turn the burl on this piece or turn and then apply?Steve, the stand is just one of the many little easels my wife has in her stash. I needed to prop it up with something to take the pic, but I guess I could have leaned it against my trashcan...er, my photo tent, to take the pic.

On the burl, I bandsawed a circular piece of the burl, put it against my chuck with a piece of drawer liner for friction, and jammed it with the tail stock. I trued it up, and got the bottom flat. Then cut a recess in the Claro -
And, glued it in, clamped it with the tailstock, and took a 30 minute lunch break!

Then, I just turned what you see, cutting down into the walnut between the beaded circles of burl.

- now we have to start thinking about the photos....Steve, I think about the photos everytime I take one!!:D:D:p You are right, though. I need to build a little tent like you guys have, and dress up my pics a little. I did iron my pillow case again!:o

Ted Calver
02-20-2010, 8:49 PM
John, You're cranking out some seriously nice work! I'm with Steve on fixing the photos. I built a tent and it worked well but got to be a pain in the tush to take apart and set up. I spent thirty bucks on a pop up tent and another thirty on a graduated background and am now much happier.

charlie knighton
02-20-2010, 9:00 PM
very nice....keep using the tailstock, it is very useful

Michael Jasani
02-20-2010, 9:16 PM
John the rustic, metalic look appeals to me! count me in as an admirer! Next you gotta post a picture of your "showroom" .....I am sure you must be short on shelf space! Keep on turnin

bobby lynn
02-20-2010, 9:35 PM
I agree with your wife John. Nice piece.

Donny Lawson
02-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Great work.How long did you say you have been turning?
Donny

Baxter Smith
02-20-2010, 11:24 PM
You are right, it is out there! It probably will also be the most interesting turning I see posted tonight. And since I find it interesting, I like it.:) Won't be just another bowl on the shelf!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-20-2010, 11:56 PM
John I'm jealous, really, you are so good, that's an exceptional piece, a real wall hanging and I do like it a lot, a beauty, thanks for posting, and yes your wife has a good eye, not uncommon with women you know :D :cool: :cool:

Doug W Swanson
02-21-2010, 12:11 AM
John,

I'm not really sure if I like it as a bowl/platter but when it is displayed in the plate rack, it looks very nice.

The colors work really well together.

Keep 'em coming!

Doug

Justin Stephen
02-21-2010, 12:11 AM
I like that quite a bit.

James Williams 007
02-21-2010, 12:32 AM
I absolutely love this piece! It struck me as a little dark but on closer inspection you can really see the grain of the walnut and burl and it gets more interesting! I have five roughed out bowls drying and I have never finished one yet but the more work I see you and others producing the more I know how much I have been missing by not turning. Thank you for your constant inspiration I hope that I can turn with your creativity when my skills are more honed.

alex carey
02-21-2010, 1:29 AM
Definitely NOT tired of your posts, keep them coming, i'm hoping you get to 100 by the end of April.

It's an interesting piece, wood is nice, im guessing I'd like it a lot more in person, pictures probably don't do it justice.

Tony De Masi
02-21-2010, 8:14 AM
John, put me on the list of I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'll have to look at it some more I guess. One thing I do know is that you have become a skilled turner in a very short time and one who thinks as an artist too. I do like your thinking in using up the rest of the burl and how you used it too.

Tony

Jeff Nicol
02-21-2010, 9:31 AM
John, It caught me in a very nice way, it gives you the perception of age in its style and looks. The display is perfect for it, as I think it looks antique it could have been used as a ceremonial bowl/plate and would have held a prestigious place in the owners home or temple. Well so my imagination is running away with me, but I like it a lot!

You are blowing the competition out of the water for best new turner! I have to finish some things so I can post a picture so I can feel good again!

Keep them coming,

Jeff

Curt Fuller
02-21-2010, 10:54 AM
And, glued it in, clamped it with the tailstock, and took a 30 minute lunch break!

Well, that's a relief! I knew you hadn't been sleeping much lately, but at least you're slowing down for a little nourishment now and then.

John, I would say this is your best work yet. I really like what you've done, it's very creative. In fact, so creative I'll probably try to copy the idea.

Just an idea for displaying something like that, I have a friend that turns professionally. He makes these to hang plates, platters, and artistic work on the wall in the small gallery he has at his shop.....http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/platehangar.jpg

Brian Effinger
02-21-2010, 1:57 PM
I really like it. Definitely a piece of art with the raised maple portions. Actually I'm glad you supplied the profile photo - I would have never guessed the burls were raised like that, and I think it adds to the piece.

Besides, as long as your wife likes it, it doesn't matter what anyone else says. :)

Brian

gary Zimmel
02-21-2010, 4:50 PM
You just keep cranking them out John.
Another great piece. And nice touch adding that burl on the bottom.

Are you running out of space yet to display your turnings...

GLENN THOMAS
02-21-2010, 5:55 PM
John,

Very nice piece. To me it has an "ancient artifact" feel to it. I dont know if that was your intent but I really like this one. I also like the bottom. This would look really nice on display in my living room.

GT

John Keeton
02-21-2010, 7:35 PM
Thanks a lot for commenting - even those that didn't care for it! I knew it was a divisive piece, and some wouldn't like it at all.

I did intend for it to have the rustic,"ancient" look, and I cut the burl so some of the rings would have voids. The Claro really had a lot more grain than expected and that was a nice surprise as I think it added to the metallic/rustic appearance.

Curt, nice idea on the hanger! I will have to save that pic for future use.

Leo, thanks so much for your comments! I have looked at a lot of your work, and your support means a lot.

Already working on the next one!! I'm tellin' you, a monster has been created!! You will eventually get sick of this stuff.

Sean Ackerman NY
02-21-2010, 8:00 PM
LOVE it, very cool John. I enjoy the dark theme, or at least that's how I interpreted it. Has a different flavor than most pieces I see on here.

Roger Bullock
02-21-2010, 10:20 PM
John, put me in the I like the look and feel of this piece. Nice use of both woods. As far as getting tired of looking at your work, no way, it is always good to see what you are going to come up with. Keeps me coming back to the creek to see John's # ..... ??.

Keep them coming every few days until one of us passes out.....then drop back to one a week or so.

Roger Bullock
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Maybe since Steve has that time travel thing going on, he could tell us in advance what your next posted project will be.

steven carter
02-22-2010, 8:53 AM
John,

Put me in the like it a lot category. Reminds me more of the planet Mercury.

Steve

James Combs
02-22-2010, 9:33 AM
Here is one more vote for the "Like it a lot" category. I am also with the "Ancient Artifact" group and the very envious/jealous groups.:)

Tim Hughes37
02-22-2010, 1:29 PM
A beautiful piece! Great job!!

Scott Lux
02-22-2010, 8:21 PM
John,

+2 on the Love it. Me and Mrs. both think it's a very special piece. And she's a tough judge.

Lux