PDA

View Full Version : Top Selling Item

Liesl Dexheimer
02-20-2010, 5:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's your top selling item? Glass awards? Acrylic Awards? Trophies? Plaques? Signs? Name Tags? Something else?

Gary Hair
02-20-2010, 6:55 PM
That really depends a lot on the market anyone targets. I do a huge amount of sandcarved pavers, rocks, benches, etc., in spring and summer and a fair amount of Cermarked metal all year round and dye subbed murals, tiles and awards throughout the year. I do the other things you mentioned as well, but not as high a percentage as the ones I mentioned.

Curt Heggemeyer
02-20-2010, 7:10 PM
Im just getting into lasers here but I own a sign shop and right now I have it busy doing acrylic lettering and edge lite signs as well as mirrors and gun stocks.

Curt

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I really haven't made anything ahead of time to sell in a year or so. My best selling work (most common orders) are cut acrylic lettering/logos, most 1/4", followed by parts for manufactured items.

Viktor Voroncov
02-21-2010, 3:14 AM
I am selling lasers, so I have not popular items :) But among our customers very popular items like attached on picture. I don't know exactly how they named in English - may be warderobes numbers :confused:
Are they popular in USA/Canada?
The advantages of this products easy visible - big orders, especially for schools/theaters/congress centres, together with number you also can engrave sticker to hanger, repeatability if number is lost/broken and etc.

Dan Hintz
02-21-2010, 8:30 AM
Viktor... maybe "coat check numbers"? You hand a person behind a desk your coat, they hand you a number for later pickup?

That's the closest thing I can think of to your description. If that's correct, they're just as popular here for bigger events/parties.

Viktor Voroncov
02-21-2010, 9:05 AM
Yes, Dan - you are right!

Ed Maloney
02-21-2010, 9:20 AM
I am selling lasers, so I have not popular items :) But among our customers very popular items like attached on picture. I don't know exactly how they named in English - may be warderobes numbers :confused:
Are they popular in USA/Canada?
The advantages of this products easy visible - big orders, especially for schools/theaters/congress centres, together with number you also can engrave sticker to hanger, repeatability if number is lost/broken and etc.

Nice material. What is it?

Ed

Viktor Voroncov
02-21-2010, 9:26 AM
IPI plastics - www.inoplas.com

Bill Jermyn
02-21-2010, 9:43 AM
I do mostly industrial cutting and marking - mind you, there is a lot of local industry here.

• I do lots of stainless steel tags for manufacturers or utilities (I get them cut locally by waterjet or laser shops)
• anodized motor nameplates
• acrylic cutting
• marking of plain or anodized aluminum & delrin etc. parts
• some signs
• lamacoids
• panel faceplates

I do some badges, trophies & awards, but I try not to encourage it. The prices most people are willing to pay just doesn't justify the time. There are too many people doing it for a hobby.

I recently had a walk-in tell me he was getting trophies from a guy in another city, but he was interested in finding a local source. I asked him how much he was paying now and he said "$5 including the engraving". Needless to say...

Viktor Voroncov
02-21-2010, 9:54 AM
And how about Alumamark and 3M Laserable films like 7846 - are they popular in USA/Canada?

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2010, 11:44 AM
i don't know anyone using the 7846, but I have used the similar Rowmark Laserlites a few times. Isn't 7846 limited to just one color (black)?

Michael Hunter
02-21-2010, 1:39 PM
I found that the black top layer of 7846 tended to flake off unless you were very careful with the finished labels.
I now use Laserlights exclusively for this sort of job.

Viktor Voroncov
02-21-2010, 1:40 PM
No, they have three types of films - black matt/engrave white, black glossy/engrave white and silver/engrave black. This film is security label stock, when sticked - impossible to remove. Also is resistant to oil, gazoline and etc. Main area for this films is industrial marking (look on VIN stickers on your car - they made from this type of films).
Difference from Laserlights is that you CAN REMOVE Laserlights, and CAN'T REMOVE 3M films.

Liesl Dexheimer
02-21-2010, 2:51 PM
Interesting responses, I have wanted to get into signage a little more as we produce a little bit of everything but our top seller is name badges followed by awards & signs.

Viktor Voroncov
02-21-2010, 2:54 PM
Liesl, look wider :rolleyes: And still question about Alumamark - is it popular?

Liesl Dexheimer
02-22-2010, 6:44 PM
Just to expand a little on our top selling items...I didn't list other things we have done only because I was listing the majority of what we do. However, I have done a fair amount of glassware & wine bottles that I failed to mention along with pen boxes & other random items.

As far as AlumaMark is concerned, it is a good replacement for rotary engraving aluminum. I hated having to rotary engrave aluminum & then try to letter darken it, it never works out. I think AlumaMark is a good choice when a customer wants a metal product other than black coated brass & still needs it to be laser engraved.