PDA

View Full Version : Spring has arrived in the Northwest

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2010, 4:28 PM
Apparently we're having some of the best weather in country right now so I have to gloat, that's so unusual. Sunny most of the week, and the weekend so far, hitting 62 yesterday and may top that today. OK, so it was freezing at 6am. :o

The flowering cherries are in bloom already, several weeks early, and the first daffodils will bloom any day.

Here's the first of my bonsai to bloom, a Japanese Quince.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2010, 4:51 PM
Joe,

Sadly I have to agree with you.

Our trees are budding....we have been in the 50's for several weeks now. The snow in the mountains is starting to recede and it's only February.

It's going to be a long fire season!

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Joe,

Sadly I have to agree with you.

Our trees are budding....we have been in the 50's for several weeks now. The snow in the mountains is starting to recede and it's only February.

It's going to be a long fire season!
Even so, yesterday down on the waterfront I could see the Olympics across the water, and there was still more snow on them than I have seen in years.

How was your snowfall compared to normal? Here at the house we had zero.

tyler mckee
02-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm already mowing the lawn and washing my truck! don't usually do either of those for another month or two! Im in skagit county and we only got a dusting of snow this year, maybe 1/2".

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Joe,

We are below average....way below.

Dan Mitchell
02-21-2010, 1:17 AM
Even so, yesterday down on the waterfront I could see the Olympics across the water, and there was still more snow on them than I have seen in years.

How was your snowfall compared to normal? Here at the house we had zero.

I live about 3/4 mile from the sound in Edmonds, a bit cooler here, than to the east, but I've also noticed the stunning and so rare mountain views. And enjoying the warm no-snow winter, especially after last year's ice. Keep expecting a cold snap, but soon it will be too late!

Greg Peterson
02-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I have several 'love bites' from pruning back my roses yesterday. Daffodils are blooming, tulips are coming up, Sweet Woodruff is spring up, Bee Balm and Hydrangeas are waking up. Sadly I lost one of my blueberry bushes. But I have several new ones to take its place. Today is mowing and edging day.

Last summer was brutal and I don't look forward to another summer like that, but I will enjoy the bright, sunny weather while we have it. March and April are usually pretty soggy.

Phyllis Meyer
02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Joe, that's beautiful! Very jealous of your weather! Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Paul Atkins
02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Even with the upcoming storm, the almonds are blooming, but the bees are too cold to come out today. Thousands of acres of blooms here and the aroma is great.

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2010, 1:08 PM
Even with the upcoming storm, the almonds are blooming, but the bees are too cold to come out today. Thousands of acres of blooms here and the aroma is great.
Beautiful blossoms, I can smell them from here. I have a little flowering almond for future bonsai starting to leaf out. We have been known to get snow after blossoming here, which breaks lots of big branches, and while it's possible not likely this year. It was 28 this morning but should be above 60 again later today. I think we'll take a nice long afternoon walk in the woods.

Greg - I have never had to mow before about April, but mine is in need of a haircut too. Time to change the oil and see if the old faithful Sears will start up after resting since October.

Craig D Peltier
02-21-2010, 1:43 PM
I have several 'love bites' from pruning back my roses yesterday. Daffodils are blooming, tulips are coming up, Sweet Woodruff is spring up, Bee Balm and Hydrangeas are waking up. Sadly I lost one of my blueberry bushes. But I have several new ones to take its place. Today is mowing and edging day.

Last summer was brutal and I don't look forward to another summer like that, but I will enjoy the bright, sunny weather while we have it. March and April are usually pretty soggy.

Greg where do you live? Doesnt say in your profile here on post?

Carlos Alden
02-21-2010, 4:20 PM
Like Ken, but a bit cooler up in Spokane. Lots of sun. Drove to mid-state over the weekend (Yakima) and the hills were ALIVE with green over everything.

This dry and mild winter was SO necessary to balance out the slam we had last year - lots and lots of snow and a very long winter, as in 5 months of it. Heck, we could still even get a big storm or two, but even if we do it will be so much easier to tolerate and get through because we have not had to deal with the snow yet (well maybe a teeny bit...)

Carlos