PDA

View Full Version : Question about TurboTax software

Louis Brandt
02-20-2010, 3:07 PM
Hello,

I know that TurboTax Deluxe edition allows you to do up to five federal returns on one copy of the software, but does anyone know whether it allows you to do more than one separate state return using only one copy of the software? What I mean is, can I do a state return for myself and one for someone else, by purchasing only one copy of the software and downloading the forms for the particular state, as long as both of us are doing returns for the same state?

Thanks,
Louis

Bob Vavricka
02-20-2010, 4:00 PM
Louis,
I think the numbers (5 Federal and 1 State) refer to the number that you can file electronically without having to pay anything more. So if you want to file additional state returns from the same state,electronically, you would have to pay the rate they charge to file the extras electronically. However, I think you can use the software to create and print additional returns beyond the 5 Federal and 1 State and file them by mail without paying any additional charges.
Bob V.

Louis Brandt
02-20-2010, 4:03 PM
Thanks Bob,
Yes, that was what I was referring to. I want to be able to print and mail two separate federal and two separate state returns (for the same state), using one copy of the software and downloading the specific state forms once. I'm not going to e-file either of them.
Thanks,
Louis

mike holden
02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Louis,
You may find that the software "hiccups" on using a second ssn.
You can of course, use the original name and ssn, then put in the second set of data, print it out and transfer the numbers by hand under the second name and ssn.

Using it for two or more people without buying a second copy is a violation of the EULA, so I would expect the programmers to have closed any simple use of the software twice.

Mike

Matt Meiser
02-21-2010, 4:43 PM
The way I read it the 1 state restriction is on the software download for 1 state. Meaning you can't file for say New York and California without paying more.

You are allowed to file 5 returns. There is a charge, at least in my state, for eFile at the state level and that's up to $29.99+tax this year (yes, a tax on filing your @@#$% taxes!) I bet that has to be payed on each state return eFiled.

I love the new "flag" feature that lets you mark items you want to come back to. That's a long time coming. I hate the new registration screen that doesn't allow you to "never show me this again."

Louis Brandt
02-21-2010, 5:03 PM
I'm not talking about e-filing either the federal or state returns. I'm just talking about the possibility of doing two separate federal and state returns (for the same state), with one copy of the software and without paying extra.
Louis

Howard Garner
02-21-2010, 5:08 PM
I'm not talking about e-filing either the federal or state returns. I'm just talking about the possibility of doing two separate federal and state returns (for the same state), with one copy of the software and without paying extra.
Louis

I did one for a good friend last year with no problem. State and federal

Howard Garner

Deirk Feiner
02-21-2010, 5:18 PM
Basically you set up new files for each return. This thing works wonders if you are an investor and you invest in MLP's and get K-1's. Short answer yes, multiple returns as many as you want.

Louis Brandt
02-21-2010, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure that I could do at least two federal and state (same state) returns (printed, not e-filed), with one copy of the software.
Louis