PDA

View Full Version : Raster Engraving

Steven Resnick
02-20-2010, 1:08 PM
I’m trying to make some drink coasters out of Baltic Birch and when I raster the photo image that I created in Photograv and then laser it into the wood it doesn’t seem to be very dark. Is Baltic not the way to go? Is there some other wood to use that is a 1/8” thick?
I have to say it did a fine job rastering the image.

Thanks,
Steven

donald bugansky
02-20-2010, 1:15 PM
Steven,

I've played with a lot of baltic birch and playing with the power settings allow me to darken things. Since it's running through Photgrav first, maybe you should darken it there and then laser.

I made a buch of Presidential Seal coasters and more power gave me a darker - higher contrast output.

Tim Bateson
02-20-2010, 1:38 PM
Laser, then move table down 5 or so clicks & laser again. The first will give you detail and depth. The second pass will be slightly out of focus that will darken the engraving.

Bill Cunningham
02-21-2010, 2:13 PM
I usually select 600 dpi, back off 1/8", and use the over burn to darken the job.. If it does not darken to a level you like, some brown Rit fabric dye in a spray bottle does wonders.. Just make sure you seal the wood first (before engraving), with a coat of lacquer etc..