PDA

View Full Version : scoops

Sean Hughto
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I haven't had much lathe time lately. With the hour here and there I've been messing around making scoops. I roughly followed the procedure Richard Raffan describes in his Turning Projects Book. They are fun little quicky things to make, so I thought I'd share. Try one with a bit of scrap. Left to right Honey locust, apple, and ebony.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Sean those are great looking scoops. Well done. I need to try to do some as I have had some people ask.

Robert Parrish
02-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice scoops Sean, Richard Raffan makes it look easy in his video but I have ruined a few!

Curt Fuller
02-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Good looking scoops. The bowl and the eggs aren't bad either.

John Keeton
02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Sean, really nice pic with the bowl, eggs and scoops! Nice work, nice art!

Really like the scoops, and you are first class with an EBONY scoop!:cool: Not everyone owns one of those! Please send me some of your scrap ebony!

Sean Hughto
02-20-2010, 2:10 PM
Thanks, all. You are too kind. I'm finding that like most everything in turning, the difference between ok and great is in the details and nuances. I think these scoops are ok, but it will take another 50 I'm guessing before I have some that I'm really satisfied with.

John, I've amassed a few board and sticks of ebony here and there for use as accents (G&G square pins, knobs, etc.). This was a 5 inch offcut that I think had been slated for knobs at one point, but because of a check (that I could turn out in the handle area) I decided to make a "high class" scoop.

Steve Schlumpf
02-20-2010, 4:39 PM
Scoops all look great! I do think that is the first Ebony scoop I have ever seen! Pretty cool!

As a variation to the same style of turning - try turning a spatula. Turned a few of those years ago and we still use them everyday.

Sean Hughto
02-20-2010, 9:10 PM
Thanks, Steve. As a beginner, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to use ebony.:o:o I just thought the black would make a nice contrast with sugar or various spices.

I'm also a bit of the mind that I get such precious little time to do my woodworking hobby, that I'm gonna use whatever wood is on the pile that tickles my fancy. I love trying new woods for various projects and finding new favorites. Even using good wood, it's still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies and vices. :D

I definitely have some more utensil treen on my list. It sems like it will be good to go along with bowls I hope to give as gifts.

David E Keller
02-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Nice looking scoops! I like the ebony very much, and I agree that it would provide a nice contrast to sugar/flour, etc.