PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and a quick question for you experts...

Chris Williams 2975
02-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Very new to woodworking and need a little help with wood identification. Might not be the right spot on forum to post this, and if so any direction as to where it should be would be appreciated! See the pictures below:

Chris Williams 2975
02-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm planning to build some sort of base, maybe with a drawer and legs to raise this antique piece off the ground. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Darnell Hagen
02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
The gables look like stained birch ply.

Chris Williams 2975
02-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Dumb question I know...but gables? Sides?? Thanks for the quick reply!

Chris Williams 2975
02-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Another dumb question I'm sure...but any methods for more precisely matching stain colors if in fact it is the birch plywood that has been stained? I am assuming it would be a trial and error test on some material I would be using to construct the base to determine the correct formula. Thanks again!

Mike Cruz
02-20-2010, 2:36 PM
Yes, it is likely stained. What you might need to do is get some plywood (whatever you will be using to make your base) and do a bunch of test splotches. Your best bet is to get a couple or three different colors (cherry, mahogony, and walnut) of stains. Most likely, if you are lucky, it will be cherry or mahogany. If not, you may have to do a little mixing of some of the stains to try to get it right.

The important part with the mixing is to do two things: Always test on a clean/unstained piece of wood/plywood (of the same material you will be useing). In other words, don't restain on top of a swatch spot you have already stained on. AND always remember/write down whatever ratios you used when mixing so that you can achieve the same results again.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it went!

Ben Abate
02-20-2010, 2:39 PM
Chris,

Sometimes you can find a local distributor of stains and such. Here is an example of what I found here in Pittsburgh. I found two companies that will match a stain for you. You take them a piece of what you have and they'll match it for you.. They'll do the sanding schedule and the application schedule for you. This way you can't screw it up unless your method of application is wrong. I know some Sherwin Williams stores will also do that. But the companies that I'm talking about are where the pro's buy. I'm fortunate to have a businss so I do buy there.

But don't be discouraged, you can possibly find a local cabinet maker to do this for you. Some guys are very good at this, I'm not. I have a very difficult time matching stains. I"m sure if you find a one or two man shop that will give you the time of day they'll help you out.

good luck.

Ben

Chris Williams 2975
02-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks Ben and Mike! Very helpful information!! I think I will take one of the doors off and stop by my local Sherwin Williams, Woodcraft, etc. and get some ideas. I also have a buddy in the specialty wood business (Tide Water Lumber in Greer, SC for any one interested...awesome folks!) and may get his opinion as well. I will try and post some pics once I get going on it.

Quick question to anyone that may feel inclined to answer...would I post a topic in the "Design" section for hints/ideas on a design for my stand for this piece? Thanks!!

george wilson
02-20-2010, 11:03 PM
That older piece of furniture could be made of a number of stainable soft woods. Tupelo was used a lot because it can be made to resemble better hardwoods like maple or cherry.

Chris Williams 2975
02-21-2010, 8:27 PM
Thanks George! I guess to hard to positively identify from pics.