PDA

View Full Version : plunge router help

Bob Mantica
02-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I own a porter cable 893pk router kit the plunge base seems to require quite a bit of presure in order to move it. Since this is my first plung router I was wondering if that was normal.

Steven J Corpstein
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't own the PC plunger, but make sure you're loosening the lock enough, and I use Top Cote on the tubes of mine. It makes them very slippery and the plus is it protects from any corrosion.

glenn bradley
02-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Obviously this is quite subjective. I am 6 foot but weigh only about 165 so I'm no linebacker. I can plunge my Mil with one hand if desired (its not), with either the 1-3/4 or the 2-1/4HP motor installed. The DW618 I had briefly plunged easily as well. It was returned for other reasons. With the release . . . well, released . . . I sure wouldn't want to grunt to lower the cutter. Many things I use a plunge for require more finesse than that would allow. If it can't be corrected, I'd look for another router; this is not something you will dislike less over time.

Norman Pyles
02-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I had a 690 plunger, and the lock took a little getting used to for me. Had to unlock it before you plunged it, not sure if the 890 is the same. Also there are 2 different models of plunge bases for the 890. The new one is based off the DW 618.

Greg Hines, MD
02-20-2010, 1:04 PM
I have an 890, and have no trouble with it. I also have a 690 that I had a lot of trouble with, and I removed one of the springs to lighten the load. It made it much easier to use on a router table.

Doc