PDA

View Full Version : String Inlay-First Attempt

Jeff Willard
02-20-2010, 9:26 AM
Small box from a firewood pile rescue. Of no consequence. Critiques welcome-advice appreciated.

Michael Peet
02-20-2010, 9:42 AM
I have neither critiques nor advice. I think they look great.

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
02-20-2010, 9:53 AM
Jeff - very nice detail and design.

Your timing is perfect - I've been thinking about something similar, but on a solid wood small table top. Question - what happens to the stringing during seasonal wood movement?

Mike Henderson
02-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Looks good. How did you produce the string?

Mike

[Looking at the pictures again, it looks like you have the LN inlay set, which has the tool to make the string.]

mike holden
02-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Jeff,
Nicely done!
Amazing how fast and easy that is, isnt it?

Cutting the slot for the inlay is the easy part, tell us how you cut the stringing.
Mike

Jim Koepke
02-20-2010, 1:10 PM
Very nice. This is another one of those things that is on my list to learn.

At the Lie-Nielsen Tool Event in Portland I picked up their two DVDs on string inlay.

Not sure if it will be tonight, but I think a batch of popcorn and a note pad are in the very near future.

Thanks for sharing,

jim

Jeff Willard
02-20-2010, 1:24 PM
Question - what happens to the stringing during seasonal wood movement?

I don't know :eek:. But I'm sure I'll find out.

Mike and Mike,

Actually I don't have the entire set-yet. I just purchased the straight line and radius tools. I do have the advantage of a Laguna bandsaw equipped with a Driftmaster, so it's easy to tweak the thickness of the string. After that I simply sliced the string to the desired width with a homemade slitting gauge. I built a makeshift shooting board for it out of a piece of MDF with a piece of ash for a fence. I'll fashion something more durable a little later.

Jim,

I'm glad you got the DVD's. Since I don't have 'em you can tell me all the stuff that's in 'em :D. This is all done seat-of-the-pants.

Andrew Gibson
02-20-2010, 8:15 PM
Looks great to me. I really need to pick up this skill, I have had a few projects I wanted to try it on but never went for it... guess I need to try something small to get my feet wet like you did.