PDA

View Full Version : Streaking after using Danish Oil?

Niels J. Larsen
02-20-2010, 8:48 AM
Hi,

I recently built a coffee table of Wenge, and finished it using Danish Oil.
I searched the Net for guides on applying the finish and did the following:

1. After using my ROS up to 180 grit, I hand sanded with the grain with 220 grit.

2. After sanding I applied a coat of Danish Oil and hand sanded with wet/dry paper of 320 grit. Let it dry overnight.

3. Next a new coat of Danish oil (no hand sanding) - dried for about 15-20 minutes followed by buffing with a lint free cotton cloth. Let it dry overnight.

4. Same as number 3 - only a slightly longer drying time.

Now I have streaks when viewed in low light and I can't figure out why.

Any help appreciated.

Conrad Fiore
02-20-2010, 9:14 AM
Niels,
Are the streaks glossy and dull and do they follow the grain of the wood?

Niels J. Larsen
02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
The streaks appear somewhat similar to the overall finish. They follow the path that I took with the cloth when applying and buffing the finish - i.e. along the grain. I've tried rubbing with my finger but it seems I cannot remove them.

Did I let the oil dry too long or have I buffed too little leaving some oil left on the surface to dry?

Casey Gooding
02-21-2010, 9:28 PM
Did you wipe off the excess after you sanded during the first coat?? If not, that's most likely where your streaks are coming from. If that's the case, your only real option is to sand it smooth and start reapplying the finish.

Niels J. Larsen
02-22-2010, 1:15 AM
Did you wipe off the excess after you sanded during the first coat?? If not, that's most likely where your streaks are coming from. If that's the case, your only real option is to sand it smooth and start reapplying the finish.

Yes I did, but perhaps I wasn't thorough enough.

I'm considering using a card scraper to start things over and then reapplying the finish.

Thanks for your help :D