PDA

View Full Version : Pictures From Portland, Oregon Tool Event

Jim Koepke
02-20-2010, 1:10 AM
Here are some pictures from the Lie-Nielsen Tool Event in Portland, Oregon today.

Angie Kopacek from Lie-Nielsen can be partially seen here. She is standing behind the guy in the yellow tee-shirt. The guy in the yellow shirt is talking to Glenn Drake. There is also a fellow Creeker in this picture.

She surprised me by pronouncing my name correctly after having read it earlier. I figure it must be that her last name is similar to mine and joked a bit about how we might have shared the same name centuries ago. She blamed that one on her husband. She is also very knowledgeable about the products Lie-Nielsen manufactures and helped Randy with some questions he had about his plane.

Here are various shots of some of the Lie-Nielsen tables and display.

The plane on its side is the #62 with a hot dog. I had called ahead to pick one up at the show. Someone packed a #4 in my bag instead. I must be a #4 magnet or something. That is why she wanted to talk to me and apologize for the mistake.

With the tables set up, I was able to try the #62 with a shooting board and it is a great improvement on my current planes. So, one should be here in a short while.

Here are some of the tools from Bridge City. I liked the multi-saddle-square-bevel-dovetail-thing-a-mabob.

This is a variable blade angle pitch plane. So someone does make one.

I was afraid to ask how much. If I don't know, I can hold on to the dream that some day I may be able to afford one. Yeah, right!

Traffic is no fun trying to get out of Portland on a Friday afternoon. But it was a nice day for a drive.

I think the pub that Randy and I visited has more flavors of ale than Baskin Robins has for ice cream. A chocolate and a double chocolate stout. Four or five India Pale Ales and various other permutations of that carbonated malt beverage.

I also got a DVD on inlay as a bonus for my purchase.

Also saw the Tight Mark™ marking gauge. Decided it was nice enough to purchase one since they decided to let me have free shipping. When it arrives, I will try to do a write up on the difference between it and the Veritas marking gauge.

jim

Callan Campbell
02-20-2010, 1:27 AM
Thanks for sharing. I'll try to do the same if I make it to the show here in April. That "multi-tool" was a mess of stuff in one small package. What pray tell was the cost of that thing? And how many operations was it supposed to do faster, better, etc than your previous 5 tools:D
Anyway, enjoy your new plane, once you got rid of that pesky #4 that is....

David Gendron
02-20-2010, 1:32 AM
Thank you Jim for the pictures, It look like it was a busy place! Good for you on the tite-mark, I sure love mine, I can see an other one in a near future. Did you have any chance to try there panel saws? Did you keep the #4;)?

Jim Barrett
02-20-2010, 1:33 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the pics and write up...I'll be attending the event next week in Seattle. You will like the Tite-Mark. It is much nicer than the Veritas marking gauge. I am interested in checking out some of the BU planes...

Jim

Jim Koepke
02-20-2010, 1:55 AM
To all,
You are welcome for the pics. It was a somewhat small venue, but it was fun.

Callen,

I think the multi tool was $299, ouch!

David,

The panel saws were there to try, but I did not give them a chance. I did try the variable pitch and the 15 ppi dovetail saws. They do cut a thin kerf, but they are much slower cutting than the saws I currently have. I like my Bishop #10. I should have tried the panels saws just for the heck of it, but didn't think of it. I have all kinds of old saws that I would really have to do some fancy talking to make SWMBO think I actually deserved another.

Jim,

Just handling the Tight-Mark at the show made it quite evident that it is much easier to use than the Veritas. I will likely use both of them and a few of the others I still have.

I have never had much luck with my #12 scraper plane. Trying the LN #112 was kind of thrilling. It is always a joy to use a tool that works as intended.

My plane till is not even finished and already it needs a redesign.

jim

Randy Bonella
02-20-2010, 3:52 AM
Hi Jim,
Nice to meet you face to face and what better place and day to do it! Sorry you got stuck in that nasty traffic. Shouldn't have been that bad but ODOT had some wrong signage up and snarled traffic for several hours. Glad you got home safe.

Great show and lots of knowledgeable people there. Just found out that Bridge City tool works has their show room less than a mile from my house :eek: I'd better hide my wallet, checkbook and credit cards. What fine tools they had on display!

I'll be heading back tomorrow with my LN 5 1/2. I fussed with it tonight when I got home. Works better but still not quite right. I'll let them take a look and see if it is the tool or just the user....

The Green Dragon was something else. Yup definitely beats Baskin robins on numbers of flavors. Will need to go back and check out more of their selection.

Thanks for the pictures and good conversation!

Randy...

Tom Winship
02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Jim, I got mine on Thursday. I used it a little Thursday evening and was pretty satisfied with it. Yesterday, I decided I would run the risk of screwing it up and put a 30 degree secondary bevel on it. Wow! I should have taken a picture, but I took a full width shaving less than .001" thick about 5 inches long.
Glad you are getting yours soon.
Tom

Matt Ranum
02-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Looks like a great event. I would be like a kid in a candy store at one of those events.

Note to self: If you ever go leave the plastic home.