PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Lathe Plans

Mark Kelly
10-28-2004, 6:02 PM
Hello. Anyone know where I can get plan for a small wooden homemade lathe? I have a copy of plans for a very large lathe capable of doing spindles up to 8 feet long. However, all I want to do is small stuff and was wondering if anyone had or knows where I can get plans for one. If not, I will guess I will have to fabricate them from the larger ones! Thanks.

Dave Crabbs
10-28-2004, 7:33 PM
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here are a couple of links.
This one has a couple of different lathes. http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?page=archive
Then I found this one. http://www.mimf.com/articles/lathe/
I don't think it would be to difficult to modify the plans you have now. I would guess about the only thing you would change would be the bed length.
Hope this helps,
Dave

Jim Becker
10-29-2004, 12:07 PM
WOOD Magazine published an article in the April 1987 issue for a shop-built lathe. While it's a full-size project, it can likely be scaled to your needs. Since that issue is very long out of print, you'll need to scour EBAY and other sources for a copy. I've had the pleasure of turning on the original from the article as it sits in Managing Editor Marlen Kemmet's home shop...very nice, smooth machine.

Michael Stafford
10-29-2004, 2:12 PM
The magazine Shopnotes has comprehensive plans for a mini-lathe in Issue #73 which was in the last few months. The plans include several optional attachments...

Mark Kelly
10-29-2004, 5:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Does anyone know where I can get the metal parts for the lathe? Do they sell just individual pieces like that? I plan on getting the motor from Grizzly or a motor supply warehouse.

Allen Murphy
10-11-2008, 8:37 AM
I am interested in the large lathe plans. I rebuild farm wagons and need to turn axels. Thanks-Allen

Curt Fuller
10-11-2008, 9:22 AM
The magazine Shopnotes has comprehensive plans for a mini-lathe in Issue #73 which was in the last few months. The plans include several optional attachments...

I know a guy that has built this lathe and it is really a neat little machine. If you can get those plans, it's a good one. His uses a 1/2 hp swamp cooler motor.

Wayne Bower
10-13-2008, 9:56 AM
Mark, I have built the shopnotes lathe. I still have it and do use it once in a while. It does work well within its limits. I have turned several bowls with it a was successful. It is not an easy build but is doable. I enjoyed the challange. I also make my own tools. You may contact me if you wish.