PDA

View Full Version : Question on stationary sanders.

Jack Gaskins
02-19-2010, 10:18 PM
For a general purpose sanding machine which type could you get the most out of? Osilating Edge Sanders/Belt-Disc combo units/Disc units. I would like to add a sanding machine to my list of things to get but trying to think of which type I would probably get the most use out of. For now, I am only doing woodturning and some light flat work but nothing major or indepth.

Richard Madison
02-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Jack,
About 20 years ago got an inexpensive Craftsman 6x48 belt sander with disc. Despite the fact that it's junk, have used it extensively all these years, and it's been a very good tool for the price. Seldom used the disc and finally just removed it. A good quality 6x48 sander would prove extremely useful, both in flatwork and even in the kind of segmenting and stave stuff that I do these days. Look for a precise arrangement for setting belt tension and tracking.

Needing a good quality disc sander a few years ago, I made a 15-3/4" disc and table for use on the lathe. Works great and usually turn it at 150 to maybe 250 rpm, which gives good control of the sanding process with zero vibration.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2010, 12:35 AM
I bought a belt/disc combo made by delta. I use both a lot.