PDA

View Full Version : Help With Byrd Head Installation on Grizzly G0490

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2010, 9:54 PM
First off things are going much easier/quicker than expected.

When I removed the old head I found a copper shim under one of the bearing blocks. I spent a good time making sure my tables were parallel before the Byrd head installation, but, what worries me is that I somewhat remember someone saying Grizzly said the shims are for processing the jointer and sometimes they are left installed by mistake.

I'll probably install the new head with the shim but is it supposed to be there?
(I know, I know, if someone else asked this I would say if the beds were parallel and level with the cutters leave it in.)

Thanks,

Mike

Dave Clermont
02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Mike - That was me. My table was off about .006 from front to back - When I spoke with Grizzly support they were the ones that told me about the shim and had me remove it and that did it both tables were now flat from front to back. My shim was under the bearing block on the back (pulley). The tech's explanantion to me was sometimes they are put in at the factory to get the tables dialed in - and sometimes they are in a rush and the shim is not actually needed...

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey Mike - That was me. My table was off about .006 from front to back - When I spoke with Grizzly support they were the ones that told me about the shim and had me remove it and that did it both tables were now flat from front to back. My shim was under the bearing block on the back (pulley). The tech's explanantion to me was sometimes they are put in at the factory to get the tables dialed in - and sometimes they are in a rush and the shim is not actually needed...

I put mine all together with the shim and every thing is aligned correctly so mine must have needed one. It only took about 1-1/2 hours for the entire installation. I was very hesitant to buy this head but like many others can't believe the difference. It makes a different noise while running without load but it's unbelievable how quiet it is when milling the lumber. I didn't understand what others meant about the wood sticking to the outfeed table but it's as though a vacuum is sucking the wood against it. I scrubbed the surface of the face joined wood with some chalk and couldn't see any of the reported scallops. Now I'm ready for my 600bf of rough sawn lumber.

Mike

glenn bradley
02-20-2010, 8:27 AM
it's as though a vacuum is sucking the wood against it

My condolences Mike. Now, like me, you will look askance at your planer and say "why can't you do that?" :D:D:D

Larry Slotylak
02-20-2010, 2:38 PM
Regarding the sound with the shelix head under no load, I noticed the same thing. The sound under no load is more of a growel than the high pitched whine that you get with the straight blades. After hearing the growel, at first, I thought I may have damaged the bearings when I installed the shelix, but gues that sound is normal.

Mike Goetzke
02-20-2010, 4:05 PM
Regarding the sound with the shelix head under no load, I noticed the same thing. The sound under no load is more of a growel than the high pitched whine that you get with the straight blades. After hearing the growel, at first, I thought I may have damaged the bearings when I installed the shelix, but gues that sound is normal.

Yeah - that's the sound. I'm almost wondering if it's the drive belt you can hear now since it's so quiet. Because it almost sounds quieter under load.