PDA

View Full Version : Different types of wood

Gene Hobbs
02-19-2010, 9:49 PM
Hello everyone
Does anyone know where I can find different types of wood for building trophy bases. I am looking for walnut. Cherry and Maghogney 10 inch wide by 5 inch thick by 8 foot long.

Thanks in advance
Gene

Scott T Smith
02-20-2010, 3:28 AM
5" thick? Whoa.....

Give Kyle Edwards up in Iron Station a call. He has a dedicated slabber and mills a lot of walnut.

Gene Hobbs
02-20-2010, 9:13 AM
Scott
Thanks so much. I will get in touch with him. 5 inch is thickest I will need. I want to make my own double and triple layer bases for custom trophies.

Thanks Gene

Jay Allen
02-20-2010, 10:22 AM
That seems like a waste of a solid block of wood? Coundn't you miter thinner pieces to get the same effect?

Frank Drew
02-20-2010, 10:39 AM
I want to make my own double and triple layer bases for custom trophies.

Does this mean you could laminate, rather than start out with a solid 5"?

A problem is that kiln operators don't like to dry really thick material because it takes a long time and it's somewhat tricky to avoid drying defects, so, even if you could find someone to saw out 20/4 hardwoods (and it's all but impossible to find Mahogany in that dimension), what you get might be green so wouldn't be suitable for your purposes, at least not without years and years of air drying.

Gene Hobbs
02-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Well now I'm not sure which would be best to use. All I know is I custom build large motorsport trophies and the only place I have found to get the bases I need is at a place called HAL Woodworking. They are very nice bases but when you get a rush order its kind of hard when they have a 4 week waiting period. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks Gene

Conrad Fiore
02-20-2010, 1:50 PM
Gene,
Is there endgrain showing on the sides of those thick bases. It looks like the thick sections may be mitered and a cap placed on top and the thinner bases are definitely glued up.

Jay Allen
02-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Any response? Details?

Gene Hobbs
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Conrad
I'm not sure I have 3 big bases coming in Wed of this week. I will let you know when I recieve them. I just hope they are worth the well over $200.00 ea that I paid for them.

Darnell Hagen
02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
10"x5"x8'= 33.3 Bf @ $200 = $6/bf

Where I am those are reasonable wholesale prices for 4/4 stock in those species, let alone 20/4.

jim gossage
02-22-2010, 9:28 AM
5" thick wood will be highly likely to move over time and may even split. The thicker the piece of wood, the more likely it will be close to the pith, and therefore less stable. I just looked at a trophy with a 3" base and it is hollow, with 4 pieces of wood mitered together. With a solid block you will have endgrain on 2 sides, which I wouldn't think would look good on a high end trophy.