PDA

View Full Version : Choose 2 please

bobby lynn
02-19-2010, 9:30 PM
I would like your opinion on the best 2 bowls out of the 4. Would also like to hear ur honest opinion on the bad aspects. I bought a PM3520b 15 months ago (first lathe I've ever used) because I thought I would enjoy turning bowls which I do. 2 of these bowls I'm entering into a art contest just to get some feedback so youall get to pick the 2.
1st picture is elm crotch,13 3/4"x3 1/2,AO,buffed with Trip. & WD.
2nd is spalted hackberry,11 3/4"X3,AO,not yet buffed.
3rd isspalted ash NE, 9 1/2x7x2 1/2,AO,buffed with Trip.& WD.
4th is redwood burl(3" board) 13"x3,AO,buffed with Trip&WD.
Thanks alot.:)

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 9:37 PM
All are nice, but if I have to pick two, then the elm crotch for form, and the redwood burl for interest! I like the spalted hackberry, as well, but I think it would do better with a different base/foot. Beautiful wood, though.

The NE bowl is very nice, but the wood is a little plain. If it had a little more spalting, then it would have both nice form and character in the grain, and would easily be a favorite.

BTW, good luck in the contest whichever you enter!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2010, 9:48 PM
Bobby - good luck with the upcoming art show!

I really like the Redwood Burl because of the unique wood characteristics and the overall form. Next choice would be the spalted Hackberry and find the zone lines from the spalting would bring a lot of attention.

Good luck!

Baxter Smith
02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Since you asked!:) The redwood and elm I find the most interesting in form and color. The hackberry is interesting but looks too thick/heavy for my tastes. The NE is uninspiring for some reason. Too plain, not enough color..

Good luck in the contest!

Thom Sturgill
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I would like to see profiles as well as top/bottom, but the elm crotch and the burl do it for me. The hackberry borders on too much spalt.

Dick Sowa
02-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Which ones you enter really needs to be determined by what kind of show it is. If there are other turners entering, then I would opt for something technically difficult or something that stands out from other turnings. That would make me suggest both the NE and the square bowl. For non-turners, a bowl is just a bowl, no matter how breathtaking the grain is.

Mike Peace
02-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Ditto what Baxter Smith said.

Richard Madison
02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
As mentioned, really can not tell without profile views.

alex carey
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
redwood and hackberry

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Elm crotch and spalted hackberry although I think a smaller foot like the Elm Crotch on the spalted hackberry. All are really nice.

Reed Gray
02-20-2010, 1:54 AM
That elm crotch sure looks like cherry to me, but I like it and the burl octagonal bowl. The spalting on the hackberry si over powering, but looks really neat.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
02-20-2010, 5:37 AM
elm crotch and redwood burl

Robert McGowen
02-20-2010, 7:27 AM
Elm crotch stands out to me. Not too sure about the others. What kind of show is it? The ones that I have done required you to submit photos for the entry judging and they never actually saw the bowl unless your entry was chosen from the photos.

Roland Martin
02-20-2010, 8:27 AM
Elm & N.E. Ash. Nice work on all of them though. Good Luck!

steven carter
02-20-2010, 9:38 AM
Elm crotch and redwood burl for my .02

Donny Lawson
02-20-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm a sucker for spalted wood so I would have to jump all over the hackberry and the redwood burl.
Donny

bobby lynn
02-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies so far fellows.
I'm attaching profile views as requested. I didn't like the bottom of the spalted hackberry bowl either. I had a smaller foot on it and when it was in the donut choke I screwed it up. This wood was very punky.
This is a state wide Arts Council show where cities nominate local artists. We were nominated from our town. (We live in a small town). We have to take no more than 4 entries to them and you all are picking the 2 bowls and we are also sending in 2 glass etchings. The etchings are framed in walnut and spalted sycamore frames that I made. The Indian etching was etched by my wife and I did the turkey.
Thanks for the help.:)

David E Keller
02-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Elm crotch and redwood... the spalted hackberry is a close third.

bobby lynn
02-20-2010, 9:27 PM
Added profile pictures. Would like more comments as I have only 2 days left before I have to pick 2.

Thom Sturgill
02-20-2010, 9:58 PM
I'd still go for the Elm and Redwood, though the NE bowl looks better from that angle.

Mark Hubl
02-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Call me crazy, but I like the spalted piece and the NE the best. I like the crotch piece also, but find the outside a bit severe. The spalted piece could be a bit thinner, but sometimes when you see a piece in person thick does work. The NE could have a little bit more outside curve for a more organic feel. Good luck.

Bill Bolen
02-21-2010, 12:04 AM
elm and the ne. Good luck to you...Bill...

Richard Madison
02-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the profile shots. Elm crotch and maybe the redwood burl. Wonder if any of the judges is/are turner(s).