PDA

View Full Version : Learning Staves with Malcolm

John Beaver
02-19-2010, 8:37 PM
This is a little vase I started in a workshop with Malcolm Tibbetts.
I cut and assembled the Ash staves with the Walnut veneer in a one day class. I then built the Wenge rim and turned it back at home.
The class was a ton of fun, and I definitely learned many tricks from Malcolm.

6 x 5 Ash, Wenge, Walnut

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2010, 9:42 PM
John - congrats on being able to take a class with a Master! Great looking vase! Looking forward to seeing your next piece!

John Terefenko
02-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I would love to be able to take one of his classes. I do need to get more involved with segmenting and I think Curt Fuller's poperii bowl pushed me over the top. I think I will try that.

Nice work on the staves. Learn from the master, can't beat it. Thanks for showing.

Richard Madison
02-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice work John B. Looks like you maintained vertical grain alignment with the rim and foot. Malcolm would be proud.

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-20-2010, 1:56 AM
John, great to see your piece posted here.

Richard, right you are. The top rim would have been so much easier to install as a horizontal ring of segments placed upon the top end grain staves. John has not said so, but I assume, not only is the top rim vertical grain, it's also fitted to the staves with a half mortise/half tenon type of joint, which provides side-grain to side-grain strength within the vessel wall.

Roland Martin
02-20-2010, 8:43 AM
Wow, what a great opportunity to learn, & learn you did. Very good job on the staves, appear to be very tight. Nice work.

John Beaver
02-20-2010, 12:25 PM
John has not said so, but I assume, not only is the top rim vertical grain, it's also fitted to the staves with a half mortise/half tenon type of joint, which provides side-grain to side-grain strength within the vessel wall.

Yes I did do a mortise/tenon joint for the top rim. I also followed Malcolm's teaching and made a floating bottom. I'm not certain it was necessary on a base this small, but it's a neat solution to the wood movement issues.

David E Keller
02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Great looking piece... looks like a good student and a great teacher were involved.

Curt Fuller
02-20-2010, 12:55 PM
It looks like you were a good student! That's a very nice looking vase.