PDA

View Full Version : My Incra/Jessem gloat.

Bill Wyko
02-19-2010, 8:16 PM
I always wanted the best of both worlds. Guess what.....I got it. Perry at Incra is just great to deal with. I can only say good things about the whole company. BUT......I really wanted a feed mechanism that moved more fluidly. When I called Jessem and asked if the miter slide would work with an incra fence, It was like I was cussing in church. I decided to take the chance anyway and order the miter slide. With some very minor mods it worked out perfectly. Now I have the grab handle with the sliding tube AND the ultimate in accuracy you get with an incra fence. (It'll split a sharp pencil line 24 times) Here is my contraption.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/22120304/383034709.jpg

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2010, 8:50 PM
A very fine looking contraption it is, indeed! Enjoy. I imagine it would have been fun to hear your conversation with the Jessem person.........

Louis Rucci
02-19-2010, 9:40 PM
I always wanted the best of both worlds. Guess what.....I got it. Perry at Incra is just great to deal with. I can only say good things about the whole company. BUT......I really wanted a feed mechanism that moved more fluidly. When I called Jessem and asked if the miter slide would work with an incra fence, It was like I was cussing in church. I decided to take the chance anyway and order the miter slide. With some very minor mods it worked out perfectly. Now I have the grab handle with the sliding tube AND the ultimate in accuracy you get with an incra fence. (It'll split a sharp pencil line 24 times) Here is my contraption.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/22120304/383034709.jpg

I have the Jessem Router table and have had the same idea for the last 2 years. I've been spoiled with my Incra LS-TS on my Jet contractor saw and wanted the same accurate adjustment I so love.

Can you provide details on how you set this up so I can do the same?

Thanks,

Louis

Van Huskey
02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Now this is thought provoking.

Mark Valsi
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
YES, PLEASSSSSSSSSSE

let us know how you set it up. I want to do the same thing !!!

Mark Valsi
02-19-2010, 10:38 PM
And, how about a couple close up photos ??

robert micley
02-20-2010, 9:34 AM
i have looked at this jessem tool. it seems like overkill for over 200 dollars. also what does it do that any miter gauge in at slot doesnt do? if you have a miter slot in your router table why not just use a miter gauge in that.

Eric Gustafson
02-20-2010, 10:42 AM
i have looked at this jessem tool. it seems like overkill for over 200 dollars. also what does it do that any miter gauge in at slot doesnt do? if you have a miter slot in your router table why not just use a miter gauge in that.

Bill is my BIL, so I can answer for him on this account. The Jessem Miter rides on the INCRA positioner. This gives you a super, no slop miter that can be repeatedly positioned anywhere on the table. Invaluable for making dovetails, box joints, etc.

Bill Wyko
02-20-2010, 1:10 PM

I have no miter slot on my router table. This allows me absolute accuracy right over the bit. Even slop in a miter slot will show in the work I do.

Bill Wyko
02-20-2010, 1:13 PM
The way I did this was simple. I just used 2, 3/4"h x 1"w x 1-1/2" L blocks and spaced it higher. I'll ad pics shortly.

Mark Carlson
02-20-2010, 1:30 PM
I noticed you also have the wonder fence. Do you need to take the wonder fence off to use the jessem?

~mark

Bill Wyko
02-20-2010, 5:30 PM
Yes for now. If I build an extender to move it away from the fence it'll still work. What I want to do is have a couple blocks of aluminum made so It can be set up either way easily.

Bill Wyko
02-27-2010, 5:34 PM
A little update. It works great. :DI even use an incra shop stop to stop the throw of the Jessem. I think this is a match made in heaven. It has real solid control and having the stop there to limit the throw really is a nice touch. I'll post more pics next week.

Rick Moyer
02-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Sounds great, Bill! Now maybe you'll finally be able to put some quality into your work, as it's really been lacking so far:D:D:D!
Can't wait to see what you turn out next! keep those humi pics coming.

Barry wines
02-28-2010, 4:31 PM
Since you guys are know so much about these two jigs I am wondering if you could share some insights about these two jigs that might steer me to one or the other since I want to buy one or the other? Thanks

Grant Wilkinson
02-28-2010, 4:45 PM
Very nice, Bill. I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. I already had the Jessem fence and Mitr-Slide. So I got the Incra LS Positioner and attached it to the Jessem fence. They work great together and, like you, I get the advantage of precision fence movement.

Steve Walls
02-28-2010, 5:14 PM
Yes for now. If I build an extender to move it away from the fence it'll still work. What I want to do is have a couple blocks of aluminum made so It can be set up either way easily.

Bill, Check with John, he sells the MFT dogs on ebay, he's easy to work with and if he can, he'll machine the aluminum blocks to your specs, Toolimprovements@comcast.net

Don Bullock
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Sounds great, Bill! Now maybe you'll finally be able to put some quality into your work, as it's really been lacking so far:D:D:D!
Can't wait to see what you turn out next! keep those humi pics coming.

My sentiments exactly. When it comes to accuracy Bill is already way ahead of most of us. I can't imagine what he'll be able to do with this set up. Yes, Bill we're waiting for the details. Some more tutorials on your techniques would be great too.

Bill Wyko
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
I'll be trying a new inlay design I came up with shortly. I'll take pics once I figure out how to get the last little detail. I should be using it on the next humidor. Thanks again for all the wonderful compliments as well. You guys are truly an inspiration.:)

Louis Rucci
03-22-2010, 7:15 PM
Bill, Check with John, he sells the MFT dogs on ebay, he's easy to work with and if he can, he'll machine the aluminum blocks to your specs, Toolimprovements@comcast.net

Bill if you get John to make those blocks let me know. I'll want to purchase a set also.

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Rucci
03-29-2010, 7:15 PM
Very nice, Bill. I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. I already had the Jessem fence and Mitr-Slide. So I got the Incra LS Positioner and attached it to the Jessem fence. They work great together and, like you, I get the advantage of precision fence movement.
Can you provide detailed pictures on how you attached the two?

Thanks,

Louis

Steven Wayne
07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I am very curious about how this has worked out for you. Could you post a photo of how you mounted the Jessem piece?

Prashun Patel
07-16-2013, 9:15 AM
I've had the same dissatisfaction with the 'right angle' jig that comes with the Positioner. Can't wait to see pics; I'm going to do this too.

Bill Wyko
07-20-2013, 9:25 PM
Been using it for quite some time now, still works perfectly. I've done thousands of dovetail joints using it & it's never gone out of adjustment.

Steven Wayne
07-20-2013, 9:37 PM
Bill, thanks for replying! Could you post a few photos of how you mounted them Jessem slide?

Bill Wyko
07-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Sure no problem but that fence is at my shop at work, I go back on Tuesday.

Bill Wyko
07-21-2013, 12:00 AM
If you look at the pic on page 1, at the ends where the red loop that holds the rod, you can see a small 2"x1/2"x1" block at each end. That's about all it takes, it was a very easy transformation. I'll still take some close up pics next week.

Steven Wayne
07-21-2013, 1:47 AM
I have had the Incra setup for a couple of years and love it. I recently bought a big lot of tools from a guy that was retiring. In this I got a Jessem router table setup. This is what I came up with today. I used a piece of angle iron I had lying around. This setup is no less stable/rigid than with the Incra fence. I can easily install the Incra fence if I want to with the two fence mounting screws.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RGRd-ir2vcg/Uet020PteAI/AAAAAAAAHfo/mQ1rNx5UXDw/s800/IMG_8086.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uKs5kKhN3-g/Uet03a2S5rI/AAAAAAAAHfw/EfQ7jXLTBOw/s800/IMG_8087.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FKmGLzQeYck/Uet037aeepI/AAAAAAAAHf4/eQBQjICN8oI/s800/IMG_8088.jpg

Bill Wyko
07-21-2013, 7:27 PM
I'm liking that way too. I have 5 incra fences, I may have to set up another one your way. Thanks for the pics.

Steven Wayne
07-22-2013, 12:01 AM
I plan to fabricate a dust extraction port off of the Jessem piece on the top rail of the fence. Not sure what to use yet. Thinking it would be handy or cool to use something clear..

I want to put this positioner/fence setup on a dedicated table. Been thinking about either the Incra or WoodPeckers table and stand.

Bill Wyko
07-22-2013, 4:26 AM
Check out the new Incra dust collector,iIn the video it looks like it does a great job.
http://www.incra.com/images/rta_cleansweep_main.jpg

Steven Wayne
07-28-2013, 12:47 PM
I have bottom side dust collection via a box enclosing the router under the table. I was referring to sorting out topside dust collection. It's halfway there thanks to the Jessem part.

Bill Wyko
07-31-2013, 7:06 PM
Cool, thanks very much.