PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly saves the day

Andrew W. Thomas
02-19-2010, 6:56 PM
I want to reiterate that I was in no way upset with Grizzly that I was able to order the G1023S, with it later being denied, just bummed and surprised it didn't auto-reject the order....

Anyway.... Grizzly called me today and asked me if I was aware that the G1023Z was still for sale at the closeout price and I said I was unaware of it and would look into it tonight. I hopped right onto their site and found all the closeout saws were not listed (good work Grizzly!) so called back and asked for the saw details. Finding out that only the fence was the difference between the Z and S, I ordered it along with the mobile base for a total of $1002... only $2 over budget!

If anyone was still looking to get the S call up Grizzly and ask them if any Zs are available. I ordered mine around 1230 today (CST) and they said there were still a few left in the PENN warehouse but they're NOT LISTED ON THEIR WEBSITE.

Thanks to everyone for pointing me towards Grizzly, can't wait for the saw to arrive and I'm glad I didn't have to go the CS route.

Glen Blanchard
02-19-2010, 8:19 PM
Andrew - I am very glad that you were taken care of. And kudos to Grizzly for taking the initiative !!!

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2010, 8:38 PM
Congrats! Glad it worked out. Good things happen when you don't get bent out of shape. And I don't count saying that you are disappointed counts in that category. Kudos to Griz for making the right thing happen again! Jim.

Joe Leigh
02-19-2010, 9:44 PM
Now I"M confused...I called this morning and was told that the 1023Z was also NOT available. I would have placed my order this morning if I had been given accurate info. Very frustrating.

Dave Lee NC
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Keep trying. I had the same thing happen over the last few weeks. Was trying to purchase a G0490 and kept being told no stock and discountinued. Finaly bought a Jet and today was told that they have Grizzly in stock. It seems to be hit and miss getting someone at Grizzly that can check inventory.

Now I"M confused...I called this morning and was told that the 1023Z was also NOT available. I would have placed my order this morning if I had been given accurate info. Very frustrating.

Curt Harms
02-20-2010, 8:57 AM
I wonder if they got a "gentle suggestion" from upstairs about your situation;).

Shiraz Balolia
02-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I wonder if they got a "gentle suggestion" from upstairs about your situation;).

The 1023Zs are likely sold out. They got removed from the web site yesterday early in the morning as we were running low. When I checked around 5:00 pm Pacific time yesterday (Friday afternoon), there were only two showing in stock and those are probably gone today.

Joe Leigh
02-20-2010, 12:33 PM
The 1023Zs are likely sold out. They got removed from the web site yesterday early in the morning as we were running low. When I checked around 5:00 pm Pacific time yesterday (Friday afternoon), there were only two showing in stock and those are probably gone today.

Well, that was a full 8 hours AFTER I asked the salesperson to check inventory....guess I'll look elsewhere for a tablesaw.

Greg Peterson
02-20-2010, 12:44 PM

My first thought, too.

I'm very familiar with inventory systems. I'm responsible for making sure our inventory system is up and running and accurate. While we only have hundreds users hitting our system at any given moment, these users NEED to have an accurate count. We can not call them back later in the day to tell them we didn't have a set of brake pads or an idler arm. They have a car on the rack, a mechanic waiting for the part and a customer expecting to pick up their car at a particular time. Perhaps some of us have had a service manager call us and say our car won't be ready today because they can't get the needed part today?

The system has to be able to tell them at the time they try to order any given part whether or not we have that item. Occasionally our system counts get off, but this is human error, not a matter of the system not being aware. Losing a system count on a spark plug sku or brake pad sku, typically high volume skus, is one thing. High dollar, relatively low volume skus is another.

As wildly popular as this particular TS is/was, I'm curious as to how their system lost track of the available quantity. This is strictly a professional curiosity. I'm aware of Grizzly's outstanding reputation and I am by no means disparaging them. I think it's obvious from this thread they know how to take care of their customers.

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, that was a full 8 hours AFTER I asked the salesperson to check inventory....guess I'll look elsewhere for a tablesaw.

Joe, make another call. Tell them Shiraz posted today that there were 2 in the system as of 5:00 yesterday. (Not sure which time zone Shiraz is in.) Have them double check for you. It's a free call, all it will cost you is your time.
Another thought, are the Shop Fox versions of this saw also discontinued? If so, maybe there is a smoking deal on one of them. I know they have local retailers, but they are also available online. I think the 1677 was the left tilt model #. Worth checking out. Jim.

Shiraz Balolia
02-20-2010, 5:21 PM

Yes, I understand, but bear in mind that there may not have been enough, or any, inventory in the warehouse that would be shipping to you. We do not cross ship big machines from other warehouses unless we absolutely have to, and heavily discounted items do not fall into that category. We almost never ship to the East Coast from our West Coast plant due to expense and the increased possibility of shipping damage. If this was a small item it could easily have been shipped from another warehouse via UPS package service. However, machines cost substantially more to ship the farther you are from the customer's location.

We are sorry you did not get the saw you wanted. We put up a bunch of different discontinued tablesaws on clearance starting in November last year and having been running out of different models. These were discountinued to make room for new models with riving knives. We still have the largest selection of Tablesaws. Some of the new models are also on back order due to demand, and others are expected soon.

Don Dorn
02-20-2010, 5:38 PM
Guess I'm not getting it - I've had my 1023SL since 2003 and I love it. That said, if I were buying a new one, it would definately be one with a riving knife even if the older model were available. I think they are so much safer, I completely understand why they are phasing the older models out. The difference in money I'm sure makes a difference, but after the money is long gone, the riving knife model remains there to serve.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2010, 5:45 PM
Don,

Obviously the buyer's were looking for a good price on a respected saw.

Riving knives weren't popular until recently. So purchasing one without a riving knife at a good price is personal decision.

Tony Shea
02-20-2010, 5:55 PM
I have had an inventory issue with Griz as I posted on the other thread. But I wanted to clear that I was in no way being negative about them in general. I'm actually extremely impressed with all the great customer service I see in these forums about Grizzly and will not hesitate to make my next large machine purchase through them. I'm glad to see another thread about Grizzly taking care of another satisfied customer as this day in age with larger companies is very hard to come by. I think i'm going to break out the 8" jointer here in the near future.

Joe Leigh
02-20-2010, 7:06 PM
Yes, I understand, but bear in mind that there may not have been enough, or any, inventory in the warehouse that would be shipping to you. We do not cross ship big machines from other warehouses unless we absolutely have to, and heavily discounted items do not fall into that category. We almost never ship to the East Coast from our West Coast plant due to expense and the increased possibility of shipping damage. If this was a small item it could easily have been shipped from another warehouse via UPS package service. However, machines cost substantially more to ship the farther you are from the customer's location.

We are sorry you did not get the saw you wanted. We put up a bunch of different discontinued tablesaws on clearance starting in November last year and having been running out of different models. These were discountinued to make room for new models with riving knives. We still have the largest selection of Tablesaws. Some of the new models are also on back order due to demand, and others are expected soon.

Shiraz,
Thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate the effort. I'll recheck the availability of the new 1023R series on Monday. Hopefully they can move that May availability date up a bit. The riving knife, serpentine belt and improved dust collection is probably easily worth the extra $350.00

Paul Ryan
02-20-2010, 7:11 PM
Shiraz,
Thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate the effort. I'll recheck the availability of the new 1023R series on Monday. Hopefully they can move that May availability date up a bit. The riving knife, serpentine belt and improved dust collection is probably easily worth the extra $350.00

Joe,

Personally I think that is the best choice. I am not knocking the old 1023 but for extra $350 I think you will be much happier with the new "R" in the long run.