PDA

View Full Version : #14 Walnut Vase

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 6:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance on the foot. This is the final product. 6" across the rim, and 5.75" tall. The foot is barely shy of 2". One coat of Deft satin over shellac over BLO. It will get a couple more coats of lacquer.

Thanks, again, Ken Fitzgerald for a beautiful piece of walnut!!

Doug W Swanson
02-19-2010, 6:09 PM
John,

The vase looks great. I think the foot looks good but I didn't really see anything wrong with it before.

Do you want to come up to Minnesota and give me a few lessons?:)

Doug

Brian Effinger
02-19-2010, 6:12 PM
That was quick, John. :) It looks good, and I like the flair to the foot. Also the finish is really bringing the wood to life.

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 6:18 PM
That was quick, John. :)Thanks, Brian and Doug!! I left the office at 11am today!;)

And to add to the mix, I had to make my donut chuck in order to finish the bottom!! That went a lot quicker than I thought it would. Sandwiched the base and 4 separate donut blanks, drilled all the holes, bolted them together, screwed on the faceplate, chucked in the lathe and trued them up. Then, took the gouge and cut the donut hole in the top layer. I will do the others as I need a particular size.

Baxter Smith
02-19-2010, 6:22 PM
Looks good. Pretty wood with a nice finish! The dovetail foot goes well with it.

Eric Kosanovich
02-19-2010, 6:24 PM
looks like you kept it the same good job.
not sure why but this one is vary appealing to me.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2010, 7:00 PM
Very nice work John! Beautiful wood and a real clean curve to the form! You should be happy with this one! What does your wife think?

Ted Calver
02-19-2010, 7:13 PM
Very nice John....I'm imagining the appraiser on some future Antiques Road Show explaining to a lucky person that they have an authentic early John Keeton worth big bucks!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2010, 7:27 PM
Very nice piece John. I really like the curve from the lip to the foot. Form and finish look great.

David E Keller
02-19-2010, 8:24 PM
Great piece... That's beautiful wood and a nice form. I like everything about it.

Curt Fuller
02-19-2010, 8:48 PM
That 'turned' out so nice! The foot really looks good and gives the vase just enough elevation to make it look great.

gary Zimmel
02-19-2010, 8:50 PM
Great finished piece again John.
Looks like you got some good shop time already this weekend....

Tony De Masi
02-20-2010, 9:15 AM
Well done John and quick as was said before. You seem to be leaving the office early quite a bit now too. I guess you may as well retire now that the vortex has the hold on ya.

Tony

steven carter
02-20-2010, 9:30 AM
Very nice John, I like the way the foot goes in and the back out. Beautiful wood. Do you plan to buff after final finish?

Steve

John Keeton
02-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for looking again at this piece! And, again, for all the nice comments. I feel like I am wearing you all out with posting every piece I do. Sorry for hogging bandwidth!!:o:o

....I'm imagining the appraiser on some future Antiques Road Show explaining to a lucky person that they have an authentic early John Keeton worth big bucks!!Now that is funny!! Everytime my wife questions another tool or wood purchase, my response is "I am saving up for a good estate sale!":D

What does your wife think?This one was a winner with Mrs. Keeton! Simple lines, and pretty wood.

I guess you may as well retire now that the vortex has the hold on ya.

TonyOnly one thing keeps me from doing just that - money!

Do you plan to buff after final finish?

SteveSteve, I do not have a buffing system....yet, so I just hand buff with 0000. Seems to work well since it is a satin finish anyway.

Ted Calver
02-20-2010, 12:37 PM
John...ya gotta get a buffing system..well worth it!

Joe Wiliams
02-20-2010, 12:44 PM
.... I feel like I am wearing you all out with posting every piece I do. Sorry for hogging bandwidth!!:o:o
No need to be sorry, you are quite the inspiration.;):)

Curt Fuller
02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I do not have a buffing system....yet, so I just hand buff with 0000. Seems to work well since it is a satin finish anyway.
I don't own any stock in Craftsupplies or any other turning supply outfit (Although I wish I did every time someone comes down with the turning virus) so I'm not promoting any thing here. But I would also suggest you look at a 3 wheel buffing system. Over the last few years I've gone through different phases of what finish I like best, oil, poly, lacquer, etc. I've hand buffed with different waxes, even used an old buffing wheel on an old grinder, and overall I thought I was getting a pretty good finish. Then my wife and kids gave me a Beall system for Christmas. So I've been going back and buffing some of my older stuff and using it on my new work. I'm just blown away by the difference it makes. A while back this link to buffing was posted http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Wax/Wax-6-Buffing-b.html and it's really a great tutorial on buffing.

Toney Robertson
02-20-2010, 2:12 PM
Nice piece of wood and you did it justice.

Toney

Michael Jasani
02-20-2010, 3:17 PM
Mr. Keeton you are on a grand and very fast paced journey, very deep into the vortex!!! Great job!

John Keeton
02-20-2010, 4:29 PM
Toney and Mike, thanks for looking and for the comments!!

Curt, Ted, I have looked at the Beall system and they were demo'ing it at Woodcraft a month or so ago. It is probably on the short list of things I "have to have." I can see where it would make a real difference in the quality of a piece.

Joe, unless I can climb out of this vortex, you may get sick of seeing my turnings!!