PDA

View Full Version : NJ Woodworking Show - Somerset

Prashun Patel
02-19-2010, 5:32 PM
I went to the show today during lunch.
I was not impressed.

There were some decent turning demo's, but the product offerings were kind of sparse.

TO be fair, I didn't stick around for the demos, but the one handplane rodeo I saw had some misinformation in it that kind of left me sour.

The best thing was the Lee Valley booth, where I finally got to try each and every one of the 20 planes I've been drooling over. It's the 1st time I was able to do that.

Man, so THAT's what sharp is, huh?

Baxter Smith
02-19-2010, 6:29 PM
Interesting. I am heading North on Sunday and had considered stopping by.

Ray Chalenski
02-19-2010, 6:51 PM
Was at the same show today and was also not impressed.It seemed about half the vendors didn't come.The coordinator of the show said there was another show this weekend and that's why they were light on vendors. But he promised next year it would be much better. On the bright side, no Sham Wow booths.:(

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2010, 7:09 AM
My wife and I will be attending the show today, and probably tomorrow.

We are members of the Hudson Valley Woodturners and will be spending part of our time at their booth, being sociable.

So, if you're going to the show, stop by the booth and say hello, it would be nice to see some of the faces behind the keystrokes. If I'm not at the booth, ask for Alan Z... I'll leave my cell phone number with whoever is there, so you can give me a call and perhaps we can grab some coffee.

It's likely that I'll be the only one at the show wearing a denim blue shirt with the words "Carpe Lignum, Torne Lignum", embroidered over the pocket, so don't be shy, say hello.

Hope to see you there..

glenn bradley
02-20-2010, 7:30 AM
The LV experience would have made my lunch hour ;-). LN doesn't seem to do the west coast anymore but in earlier years, being able to try LN and LV stuff, hands on, side by side was one of the best decision making assists ever.

Curt Harms
02-20-2010, 9:41 AM
There's one March 5-7 in Reading, PA. The show site is about 10 minutes from Industrial Abrasives in Reading. I'm going to check to make sure Industrial Abrasives allows pickup in addition to shipping. AFAIK this is a new show so don't know how well it will be attended.

Jim Mattheiss
02-20-2010, 2:28 PM
Just came back from the show right now.

Probably at least saw Alan Z in passing at the booth.

There were a lot of people there, and the line at Woodlines checkout was HUGE. In the past I think BOTH Woodlines and Peachtree were there to share the sales load.

I picked up a couple of acrylic pen blanks at the request of my kids. Didn't really buy anything else but LOML and I wandered around and she watched a lot of the woodturners.

I've only been going to the show for 2 years and my interest is moving from flatwork to turning, so it opens a whole new perspective.

Cheers

Jim