PDA

View Full Version : Next Plane to Buy

Kirk Amidon
02-19-2010, 4:23 PM
The project I am ready to begin, a set of oak built ins for the basement, will include a good number of mortise and tenon joints, along with raised panels, all of which I want to build with hand tools. I currently have an array of bench planes from #3’s to a #7, a low angle block, and a trio of combination planes (45’s & 55).

A couple of practice panels has led me to believe I need another plane. :) The issue on the panels is getting a smooth transition between the rabbit and the sloped face, as my bench planes can’t get in there cleanly. Would the better choice be a shoulder plane or a skew rabbit plane?

Which of those two planes would be the better all round choice – meaning it has many other uses beyond just the raised panels? Or, is there something else I should consider?

Thanks
K

lowell holmes
02-19-2010, 5:00 PM
Actually,
I think you need both.:)

Mark Stutz
02-19-2010, 5:07 PM
I'm not sure what you are refering to by the transition between the rabbet and the sloped face. I take the slope all the way to the edge. If the panel isn't fielded then they can be done with a bench plane, but a skew plane of some kind will make the end grain work much easier. A skewed wooden rabbett, rabbetting block like LN 140, #289, #46 all will work.

Sounds like you need a wooden panel raiser!:D After all a new project should require at least 2 new planes!:D;)

thsi thread will show how I did one, but I've used various techniques just to try them.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34097

Mark

Jim Belair
02-19-2010, 5:09 PM
I'd say the shoulder is more versatile given your other planes. You can cut a rabbet with your 45 or 55 but a shoulder plane is best for trimming shoulders. Not sure which, if either, is better for raising the panel.

Jim B

Jonathan McCullough
02-19-2010, 6:44 PM
You have all the planes you need to raise panels. If you want a little lip or relief between the main field and the angled parts, just make like you're cutting a rabbet on all four edges. If you're using a 45 you can put an angled wooden part on the fence to get a consistent angle. If you're using a 55, one of the fences already has an adjustment so you can cut a rabbet at an angle.

A shoulder plane might be useful for the tenons though.

Kirk Amidon
02-21-2010, 6:45 AM
Interesting stuff, I had seen your post Mark, and along with one from D Cohen they inspired me to try my hand at it. I had not looked close enough to see that you had gone all the way to the edge with the angled part. That actually makes it easier.

Jonathan <gasp> no new planes needed? Oh the horror!!!

Thanks all

Todd Bin
02-21-2010, 8:54 AM
You have all the planes you need ...

Wow, with comments like that I'm surprised you haven't been censored from the site.;) You can never have too many planes and if the OP thinks he needs another one then let's recommend one. :D

You need to raise a panel. Well, they make a plane just for that. It's called a panel raiser. It is a wooden bodied plane. You won't be able to find one in a store (at least I don't think so). But looking on e-bay or around the web you should be able to find one.

Good luck

Maurice Ungaro
02-21-2010, 9:26 AM
There is also this option from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=59999&cat=1,41182,41192&ap=1 (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=59999&cat=1,41182,41192&ap=1)

With the optional longer fence rods, you can add a bevel block to the fence to raise panels.