PDA

View Full Version : Whats the value of old Crafstman BS 113.24290, 1969

Rob Giordano
02-19-2010, 4:07 PM
New at woodworking, tools etc. I can boy this old band saw. Model number 113.24290, according to OWWM the print date of the manual is 1969. I have not yet seen the saw, but I am told that it is in good working condition. I am not sure about what kind of projects I might use it for just yet, but do not want to pass it up if it is a bargain at $150. I don't know how to determine value. Of course more importanly can I expect it to perform reasonably well? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. There is a photo at OWWM.

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2010, 7:17 PM
I have one of these Band Saws. I used it infrequently for many years for occasional light curved work, never tried resawing with it. Mine has a metal stand open on two sides. It worked fine for what I used it for.

Currently it's disassembled, some of the parts have been cleaned, I have new bearings for it and will hopefully finish restoring it one day. It's one of those projects that got put on the back burner.

I would think that for $150-250 you should be able to find a decent, newer 14" BS on CL that would be a better saw and allow you to do more tasks than this saw can comfortably handle.

Also keep in mind that you may have to replace the bearings.

Charlie Plesums
02-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I had a benchtop bandsaw, probably 10 inch wheels, for long enough to believe I didn't want a bandsaw. Finally I was convinced that a 14 inch bandsaw was minimum size (not only for the width you can cut, but for the amount the blade has to bend around the wheels. I got a Jet, then a Grizzly G0555 (which I still have), now up to about $500 new. You might expect to find a used one, maybe 5 years old, for $250.

I believe the 40 year old Craftsman you are looking at is a 12 inch. I would not consider it a bargain at $150

Greg Peterson
02-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I too would pass. I'd take a chance if they were asking $50. But at $150 the seller either doesn't know better or is shooting for the stars in hopes of hitting the moon.

Norman Pyles
02-20-2010, 1:01 PM
I would pass also. I picked up a Delta 14" open stand with a Kreg fence, and a bunch of extras for $150 2 years ago. Good luck with your band saw search.

Rob Giordano
02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks all, I passed on it...I'm learning.

glenn bradley
02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks all, I passed on it...I'm learning.

Good decision IMHO. I sold that saw with a half dozen TW blades, cool blocks, some other aftermarket stuff and a mobile base for around $125. a couple years ago.