PDA

View Full Version : Wife's in a cast - stupid ice!

Mitchell Andrus
02-19-2010, 3:43 PM
Well..... this trip to the house in NC isn't going too well. My wife came down a few days ahead of me and slipped on some black ice and broke her wrist. Made a few small fragments at the end of the large arm bone the hard way. Bummer.

Wednesday to the Dr., Thursday for a CAT scans, Friday for pins and a rod and cast and Oxycontin. Thank GOD for good drugs (the photo tells the tale).

Good thing I'm flexible enough at work to tend to her and she can tele-commute when her head clears a bit. We're 700 miles away from 'home'. She drove her own car so it'll be a few weeks before she makes the trip back.

Careful on the ice everybody!

Sean Troy
02-19-2010, 3:47 PM
My prayers for a complete and speedy recovery. Make sure she drinks LOTS of water while shes taking the pain meds. Those will back you up so fast.

Mitchell Andrus
02-19-2010, 4:24 PM
I forgot to mention, her surgeon put together a 6 person team and went to Haiti about a week after the quake and stayed for 10 days. Told us some fascinating stuff, and some really horror stories.

One thing he did mention more than once, he said he's never seen such patience and good manners among a populace which had been so put-upon in his life, and he'd served in the Peace Corps in 10 3rd-world countries for nearly 15 years.

Harry Hagan
02-19-2010, 4:27 PM
I hope she feels better soon, mends quickly, and that you have great insurance.

I should show this to my neighbor: He asked me the other day why I was so meticulous about clearing the snow from my driveway and sidewalks . . . duh . . . so somebody won’t fall and get hurt. Medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering could likely result in a lawsuit too—especially since a local ordinance requires sidewalks to be cleared within 24 hours of a snowfall.

Belinda Barfield
02-19-2010, 4:44 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news, Mitchell. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery!

Phyllis Meyer
02-19-2010, 5:57 PM
Please tell your wife she will be in our thoughts and prayers! I hate ice too...one of my biggest fears!:eek: You watch some chick flicks with her while she is mending!

Phyllis:)

Mark Engel
02-19-2010, 6:21 PM
Black ice SUCKS!

Hope she gets to feeling better real soon.

Mitchell Andrus
02-19-2010, 7:03 PM
I hope she feels better soon, mends quickly, and that you have great insurance.

I should show this to my neighbor: He asked me the other day why I was so meticulous about clearing the snow from my driveway and sidewalks . . . duh . . . so somebody won’t fall and get hurt. Medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering could likely result in a lawsuit too—especially since a local ordinance requires sidewalks to be cleared within 24 hours of a snowfall.

Actually, she had shoveled a path and it was clean but wet. It dipped below freezing just before a delivery of some furniture came, just after dark. With the light coming from over her shoulder she thought it was just wet.... Black Ice. I would have thrown a little salt, but we didn't have any here.

Mitchell Andrus
02-19-2010, 7:04 PM
Please tell your wife she will be in our thoughts and prayers! I hate ice too...one of my biggest fears!:eek: You watch some chick flicks with her while she is mending!

Phyllis:)

That's funny.... It's Julie, Julia tonight.

Mitchell Andrus
02-19-2010, 7:06 PM
O.R. details...

They – thankfully – didn’t need to open and put in any plates or screws. The rod and pins are simply to stretch the hand back out to normal position so the bones could fall into their correct place and they did. She’s got fingers free so she isn’t completely one-handed, but she’s splinted past the elbow for now so there are limits to her reach and she’s got to keep it elevated, what a PITA, pile up the pillows and forget sleeping in bed for a while. No idea when the external stuff comes off. I’d guess three weeks at least.

She’s quite mobile and the drugs are working but I’m thinking the real pain happens when the bones start knitting… and the cast starts itching. HA!!

I talked to a woman a few days ago who broke BOTH at the same time! EGADS!!!

Jim Rimmer
02-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Very sorry to hear about this. Hope she mends quickly and has little after effects.

Chris Kennedy
02-20-2010, 8:12 AM
She has my sympathy.

Literally the first time I dealt with snow and ice, I had flown back to Michigan after Christmas break, and walking back from the airport shuttle to my apartment, I discovered black ice the hard way. I broke my dominant arm up by the elbow.

As Harry said -- a lot of people I know wonder why I am so aggressive about clearing snow and ice, but it is worth the extra effort in my opinion.

Hope her recovery goes well.

Cheers,

Chris