PDA

View Full Version : Most durable assembly table ever

Matt Follett
02-19-2010, 3:41 PM
I need to share my luck. So I have an assembly table, essentially a beefed up version of Norms worktable. For the top I had a 3/4" piece of mdf coated with Poly, poplar edge banding worked well untill this weekend.

We had a party for my son's b-day, after which I put the styrofoam coolers (thought to be water tight) on the bench and was going to put the extra drinks back in the fridge the next day. Next day comes, coolers were slowly leaking, and the water seeped into the top where there were scratches, and where the screw attached the top to the torsion box, leaving 1/4 inch swollen mounds in the mdf. Tried sanding it flat when I thought table was dry, but 2 days latter and the mounds are now divits.

So i figure maybe I will do a new top, formica and mdf, which with BORG pricing for the materials and contact cement and tax will be about $80. At this point I start looking for other options, I found a company that sells sheets of HDPE (white cutting board plastic) and PVC for sign companies, marine appplications, etc. Long story longer, I was looking for a thin sheet of HDPE to top my bench with (1/8" or 1/4") figuring it is just about indestructable, 2 minutes later the guy shows me a cutt off he has, 3/4" Seaboard marine grade HDPE (Higher grade HDPE, UV treated, nice slight texture). I had it cut to my necessary size of 44" x 54", $100 out the door :D. I can safely say baring the house buring down I will never need to replace this top again, Once I get it installed and route the edges I will take a couple of pics.

Jason White
02-19-2010, 4:25 PM
If it's MDF, why not just put some putty in the divots, sand them smooth, then paint the top with floor paint instead of clear poly. Cheap and fast.

You could also apply laminate over the MDF. Just scuff up the poly first so the contact cement will stick.

Jason

I need to share my luck. So I have an assembly table, essentially a beefed up version of Norms worktable. For the top I had a 3/4" piece of mdf coated with Poly, poplar edge banding worked well untill this weekend.

We had a party for my son's b-day, after which I put the styrofoam coolers (thought to be water tight) on the bench and was going to put the extra drinks back in the fridge the next day. Next day comes, coolers were slowly leaking, and the water seeped into the top where there were scratches, and where the screw attached the top to the torsion box, leaving 1/4 inch swollen mounds in the mdf. Tried sanding it flat when I thought table was dry, but 2 days latter and the mounds are now divits.

So i figure maybe I will do a new top, formica and mdf, which with BORG pricing for the materials and contact cement and tax will be about $80. At this point I start looking for other options, I found a company that sells sheets of HDPE (white cutting board plastic) and PVC for sign companies, marine appplications, etc. Long story longer, I was looking for a thin sheet of HDPE to top my bench with (1/8" or 1/4") figuring it is just about indestructable, 2 minutes later the guy shows me a cutt off he has, 3/4" Seaboard marine grade HDPE (Higher grade HDPE, UV treated, nice slight texture). I had it cut to my necessary size of 44" x 54", $100 out the door :D. I can safely say baring the house buring down I will never need to replace this top again, Once I get it installed and route the edges I will take a couple of pics.

Van Huskey
02-19-2010, 7:39 PM
Now that is definately a cool table top!

Mike Cruz
02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Yes, I would love to see the pics!

Matt Follett
02-20-2010, 8:26 PM
I attached top to the table using pocket screw through the legs into the bottom of the HPDE so the top is completely smooth. I then rounded over the top and bottom edges.

David Christopher
02-20-2010, 9:11 PM
very nice, that should last a life time....where did you get it ?

Allen Schmid
02-20-2010, 9:33 PM
Matt, Love the table and all but what really caught my eye was the tapper out the front of the fridge in the background!!:)
Allen

Mark Boyette
02-20-2010, 9:47 PM
that starboard is good stuff. I use it on my boats and we also use it quite a bit at work. Nice product.... We are paying $180 for a 4x8 of 3/4" so you did well.
Mark.

Mike Cruz
02-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Mark, which side of a boat do you put starboard on? :D

Hugh Jardon
02-21-2010, 8:32 AM
The opposite side to where you drink the port, of course.

Rob Hough
02-21-2010, 8:33 AM
How flat is HPDE? I've heard stories where it is not generally very flat. I'm also curious how one would flatten that material? I've thought about using it, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend that much money over some MDF and tempered hardboard.

Matt Follett
02-21-2010, 9:20 AM
How flat is HPDE? I've heard stories where it is not generally very flat. I'm also curious how one would flatten that material? I've thought about using it, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend that much money over some MDF and tempered hardboard.

It is quite flat, and in 3/4" format extremely heavy, even a little heavier then a 3/4" sheet of mdf. More importantly the thickness is very unform. HDPE is fairly flexible, so it definetly needs support, but if what you are supporting it with, i.e. a torsion box it is pefectly flat then the hdpe will be flat. If the hdpe has a slight bow you can definetly pull it down to the table/known flat surface with screws. In 3/4" thickness it is plenty rigid to let it overhang 3" over the edge of the torsion box so you can clamp to the edge (that the overhang I have), you could proably do the same with 1/2", but it may flex a little. Anything thinner then 1/2 would need a sheet of ply or mdf to support it.

The stuff I used, seaboard, is intended to be used for marine applications, and the product definetly has a more strict production process then regulary HDPE, they use a special extrusion process to keep it flat since it can be used for hatch covers, etc., here is the product info I pulled off the modernplastics website:

SEABOARD™ Premier, High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheet -manufactured by Compression Polymers Corporation, is a high density polyethylene (HDPE) sheet formulated to meet the adverse conditions of marine and outdoor environments. Offered to you by Modern Plastics, SEABOARD™ Premier, High Density Polyethylene is the toughest marine high density polyethylene sheet on the market. It is impervious to salt and moisture on boats with extreme hardness that resists scratching better than competing products. It will not rot or discolor like teak and other solid woods and will not delaminate like wood laminates. In addition, SEABOARD™ Premier sheets are stress-relieved and UV stabilized specifically for harsh, outdoor, sun-exposed environments.
SEABOARD™ Premier sheets meet FDA requirements for use in applications that come into contact with food.
Other attributes of SEABOARD™ Premier, High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheet products include:

SEABOARD™ is a trusted brand with long term documented usage
Food Safe - FDA Approved
Easy to fabricate, cut with standard woodworking tools
Low maintenance finish, easy cleaning
Hides scuffs and scratches
Will not rot, splinter, discolor or delaminate when exposed to humidity or water
Extreme Strength & Hardness
Excellent thermal resistance
Excellent long-term stability
Standard colors (all with Matte finish): Polar White, Mercury Gray, Craft Gray, Black, Seafoam, Sandshade
SEABOARD™ Premier, High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheet applications include:

Recreational boat items such as, Benches, Seats, Hatches, Doors, Grab rails, Step and Dock boxes, Rod & Cup Holders, Chairs, Tray Tables, Frames, Trim
Ship and Fishing Components
Playground Equipment
Swimming Pool Equipment
Park and Recreational Outdoor Equipment
Engineering specifications for SEABOARD™ Premier, HighDensity Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheet Products:

Tensile Strength – 4,500 psi
Flexural Modulus - 260,000 psi
Flexural Strength - 5,070 psi
Heat Deflection Temperature @66 psi - 82 (Celsius)
Vicant Softening Point - 130 (Celsius)
Hardness (Shore D) - 69
- .960.Density (g/cm)
To your point there are other plastics that are more rigid like PVC that if not flat would be nearly impossible to flatten with srews in a 3/4" thickness

Matt Follett
02-21-2010, 9:24 AM
Matt, Love the table and all but what really caught my eye was the tapper out the front of the fridge in the background!!:)
Allen

That is kegerator 2.0, complete with my modified Hurst t-handle shift knob for tap handle. First one was a free fridge that died, spoilling $100 dollars of keg beer, this one was a scratch and dent fridge that was new, I can post some pictures of that project too if you'd like :)

Matt Follett
02-21-2010, 9:27 AM
very nice, that should last a life time....where did you get it ?

I got it at a place called J Freeman , five minutes from where I work outside of boston. This stuff you definetly want to buy local, shipping would be astronomical, if you google HDPE sheets for you area I am sure you would find someone close.

Rob Hough
02-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Hmmm... Now the question is - can I find the same sweet deal? :)

That stuff would really be great for me, as I tend to be a slob at glue up time. :)

Roy Nemmers
02-23-2010, 9:54 AM
SEABOARD™ is a trusted brand with long term documented usage
Food Safe - FDA Approved

That table looks great and since its food safe you could butcher a deer or an elk on it. What a cool multi-tasker. :D

Van Huskey
02-23-2010, 5:37 PM
That looks like it makes a great table top if you can get a good deal on it like you did!