PDA

View Full Version : Mold or bruised

Eric Kosanovich
02-19-2010, 2:21 PM
Hello all,
Here is a project i am working on and thair seem to be some thing going on i don't understand in photo #3 there is a black spot just under the bark on the right side. It only seems to be in the sapwood. I can cut it away but after five mins or so it comes back. I cant tell if it is some type of mold or bruising.
Edit: almost forgot this is green wood

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2010, 8:07 PM
Eric, it's what's called brown rot, Cherry is the wood this will happen with.
The funny part is that the wood around it is just fine and solid, it can go for quite a long way in a log and become just very soft, yours seems to have just started, I think it is caused by a fungus, though never sought any answer on it, as I just know what it is, and can not change it.
I have made some pictures of it and will add them, if it is not too soft you can soak some CA into it and then turn it, that's what I did with the shallow crotch-wood bowl that's shown here.
142600 142601 142602142603

charlie knighton
02-20-2010, 5:42 AM
thanks for showing and answer, i will watch for it

Eric Kosanovich
02-20-2010, 5:54 AM
Thanks Leo,
i think i'm going to spray my woodpile with an antifunga of some type.
also it can germinate and infect at temperatures between 32 and 90° F when wet.
germination takes only 5 hours. Here in Maryland it has been wet from back in December and we still have 15" of snow on the ground.

Eric Kosanovich
02-22-2010, 3:09 AM
Leo here is a little better pic.
It appeared right away however this pic was taken about fore hours after turning.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-22-2010, 3:49 PM
Leo here is a little better pic.
It appeared right away however this pic was taken about fore hours after turning.

Eric what you have here (the bluish black) is the staining of the wood by iron oxide, the tannin in the Cherry (others like Red Oak etc will do this too) is reacting with any steel or iron that gets in contact with the wood, your wet hand held onto the lathe and then the wood will already do this.
Something to keep in mind if you are finish turning something, as for a roughout it doesn't usually matter as the stain is turned away when returning the piece

Eric Kosanovich
02-23-2010, 6:41 AM
Leo,
I think you hit the nail right on the head and yes it is happening to the Oak and other wood as well. Makes a lot of scenes now that i think about it the anti-fungal is not working or the alcohol and/or bleach. All my wood is vary wet most of it is green so i can see where this would happen. This has been vary frustrating for me I was even thinking about burning all the wood I have and start over. Oh great gods of the vortex I thank you for your profound words of wisdom.