PDA

View Full Version : Restoring old hand saw

Gil Knowles
02-19-2010, 2:02 PM
Hi
I have an old back saw I want to restore.
It has 3 saw nuts and I have managed to get out 2 but the third one just spins when I am trying to remove it.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks
Gil

David Gendron
02-19-2010, 2:22 PM
Go to Bad Axe Tool Work web site under article and you will find a great tutorial on saw restauration. Also at the top of this page, you go into the FAQ section and there is a few thread about saw restauration! Good luck!

Jonathan McCullough
02-19-2010, 4:12 PM
Have you tried finger pressure against the other, non-screwdriver side of the saw nut? You can also rig something up with a couple of clamps and a soft face, say a round piece of leather with dry, tacky rubber cement, and backed by a piece of wood to hold the other side of the nut while you're unscrewing on the other side. That would keep it from marring anything while holding it secure.

I've heard some nuts are nearly impossible to get off, but I haven't had that problem yet.

James Ogle
02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I've run into this a couple of times. I take a piece of 1x, clamp it across the saw nut with a 1" square of leather over the nut. This usually provides enough friction to allow me to turn the bolt. The other option which I have only had to resort to once is to take my soldering iron and heat up the "nut" side, the half the other screws into. WHen it is good and hot I take a piece of ice and apply to the screw side and then it uncrewed easily.

Jonathan McCullough
02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Ooh, that soldering iron/ice trick is clever.

James Ogle
02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Just be careful and don't forget about it. It is easy to scorch the sorrounding wood. No it wasn't on the saw but an old desk I was taking apart once. Luckily it was the screw holding the top on from underneath so the added "rapid oxidation" was well hidden.