PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Making Router Bit Sets

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
In a few months I will be building many cabinets for our kitchen. I currently have a Bosch 3-pc set that I have used on a dozen or so doors - the panel raiser has a 2-flute cutter. I see Freud has a 4-flute cutter but doesn't appear to have a back cutter option (undecided if I want a back cutter). Whiteside had a 3-flute cutter but their panel raiser with the back cutter is only a 2-flute design.

Two basic questions:

1) any noticeable difference between the 2, 3, and 4 fluted cutters?

2) I've never back cut my doors. I usually make the panels thin so they are flush with the frame or let them be proud of the frame. With this big project I'm thinking sanding will go much quicker with the panel/frame being flush but want nice solid doors so I thinking of using a back cut design. Any thoughts on back cut versus non-back cut doors?

Mike

Steve Kohn
02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I have no practical experience with the multiedge cutters, but it makes sense that the more edges cutting wood would give better performance (and less likelyhood of chipout).

Anyway I just got an email from Peachtree with the door and cabinet maker sets on sale. Check it out.

Glen Butler
02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
1. More flutes will inherently give you a cleaner cut. But I am not qualified to answer this question because all my router bits are 2 flutes.

2. If you look at any professional cabinet shops they will have the raised panel flush with the frame. It just looks right. Back cutting isn't completely necessary but it looks more finished. Cabinets shops use shapers for there doors and the back cut is done at the same time as the raised panel. So it is easier to do the back cut than to not because the tenon is cut at the same time and to the right thickness. After the profiling is done and the doors are assembled they are run through the wide belt sander and a substantial amount of material is taken off. This ensures the whole door is flush and clean.

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I have no practical experience with the multiedge cutters, but it makes sense that the more edges cutting wood would give better performance (and less likelyhood of chipout).

Anyway I just got an email from Peachtree with the door and cabinet maker sets on sale. Check it out.

Thanks - I got an e-mail on those bit sets and they are tempting but am afraid to try them on such a visual/big project.

Ken Garlock
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Mike

I have the panel raising bits with back cutter from Eagle America (http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v186-5715/ea_-_door_construction). They look like the ones from White Side, because they are just relabeled W S bits.:cool: I have run around a dozen panels through my Incra router table with PC 7518 router. I ran them through in a single pass, although most people recommend multiple passes. By very slowly feeding the panels past the cutters, a single pass will and does do the job.

Don't forget to 1) do your end grain cuts first.:eek: and 2) set your router speed LOW.

Yes, I would buy the same bits from Eagle America again.:D

scott spencer
02-19-2010, 1:20 PM
If all else is equal, more cutters equate to a cleaner cut. Whether or not it's worth the upgrade from your Bosch set is the debatable part. The Freud set is the best I've used...it not only has more flutes, but they're cutting angles offer some advantages too. Freud offers their sets with or without the backcutter. I'm sure the Whiteside and Infinity sets are great too.

eric buggeln
02-19-2010, 1:49 PM
Anyone try the cabinet set from Sommerfeld tools? I own mostly Whiteside bits and have been real pleased with them, but was intrigued by Sommerfelds bits all being set at the same height? Any thoughts would be appreciated, Eric

Peter Quinn
02-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I haven't tried the Whiteside panel raisers, I have tried a few two wing cutters and the Freud Quadra cut panel raisers. The Freud's work great and are worth looking at. Two cutters are full profile, two are hoggers that cut only the deepest part of the profile with a steep shear angle I think to ease the cutters burden at that point. I find the Freud's work work so well that I won't buy any others for the router.

I prefer to do the back cut on panels that need it as a separate step. I do most of my panels now on a shaper which easily spins a back cutter but I still prefer to separate that cut. As far as using a back cutter or not it mostly depends on design choice. For commercial production it is all but essential to have the panels flush with the frames for wide belt sanding. For small shop custom work you can make them the same thickness or proud as you desire, but obvously sanding post assembly becomes more challenging.

Rick Gooden
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I have freud quadra cut panel raisers and whiteside 3 wing, both designs work better than standard, but I personally prefer the whiteside. I don't use back cutters but prefer to plane the panel down for flush front with the rails and stiles. I personally like this look, but may be in the minority. Just develop your own style, concentrate on quality of build, and enjoy the art.