PDA

View Full Version : PC or SENCO Pin Nailer?

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 1:48 PM
I am about ready to bite the bullet and buy a pinner. With the sale at Amozon on the Senco and the sale at Woodcraft on the PC, they are basically the same price. I have always been under the impression that Senco's were top of the line in nailers, but not sure if that's true of the pinners.

Anyone used both? I have read the archive on the PC and know it will do fine and don't want to spend the money on the Omer. So what about the Senco?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Coffelt
10-28-2004, 1:58 PM
I've been looking at these for about a year, I almost bought one at the WWing show in February. From all indications I get form talking to store folks, reps, etc. the PC is a better gun. Now I have no experience with either, but I do own a couple of PC guns and then just bought the Senco special 3 pack this week. The Senco guns will be going back to Home Depot. They are not very well built in my opinion as they are very lightweight (metal wise, poor finish and the soft wrapping grip is a joke, but what do you expect for 3 guns for $199 price. The Senco pinner looks to be made like the guns I bought, and the same for the PC. The difference is my PC guns are built solid. Heck, I have two craftsman nailers and a CH stapler that I think are better made then the Senco's I just bought. If I was a pure hobbiest, the three gun pack is a nice set. So after this is all said, I would go for the PC.

Of course, the PC is more expensive and I am not sure how much in respect to other guns it will get used.

Ted Shrader
10-28-2004, 2:04 PM
Hal -

I am leaning toward the PC for many of the same reasons outlined by Scott.

Regards,
Ted

John Miliunas
10-28-2004, 2:04 PM
Sorry, can't say about the Senco, but I'm very happy with my PC! Just amazes how almost invisible the entry holes are. The unit certainly feels well built and, with the auto-adjusting for the length of nails used, it's a breeze to operate. :cool:

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 2:19 PM
Thanks Guys!

This is why I love this place. I have the PC Bammer and wish that I hadn't bought it now. At first it was great when building a shed far away from electricity. Now it's too unreliable, so I use a Bostitch finish nailer which is great.

Unless someone or something changes my mind, I'll probably pick up the PC.

Thanks,

Hal

Steve Clardy
10-28-2004, 3:11 PM
I haven't owned any Senco's, so can't comment there. Only time I was around one to try to use, one of my customers had one. [I forgot to bring a gun to the jobsite:rolleyes:]

He loaned me his, which was locked up, probably from sitting around and not getting used.:o

I am an avid PC fan, kinda like my Fords.:D
Out of the probably 25 PC tools I have, there is only one that I regret buying, the detail sander.
I have 11 nail guns,seven are PC, including the pin nailer, three are Grizzley, one Pro-air. Pin nailer is a very nice gun, never missed fired.
So that's what I suggest.

Steve

John Miliunas
10-28-2004, 3:24 PM
Out of the probably 25 PC tools I have, there is only one that I regret buying, the detail sander.

Funny you should mention the sander. I bought one a long time ago and rarely used it. Recently, I did have need for something to get into a LOT of tight spaces, so I figured I'd give it a go. It actually did a pretty nice job! Trying to hog off a lot of material would be tedious, as paper changes would have to be done often, but for lighter, touch-up work, it seemed to do the job quite equitably. No, not a tool I grab often and yes, I could probably have done without it, but I had bought it at a real good deal and it came in handy. :cool:

Steve Clardy
10-28-2004, 3:46 PM
Funny you should mention the sander. I bought one a long time ago and rarely used it. Recently, I did have need for something to get into a LOT of tight spaces, so I figured I'd give it a go. It actually did a pretty nice job! Trying to hog off a lot of material would be tedious, as paper changes would have to be done often, but for lighter, touch-up work, it seemed to do the job quite equitably. No, not a tool I grab often and yes, I could probably have done without it, but I had bought it at a real good deal and it came in handy. :cool:
This detail sander is actually the second one I've had. Long story coming!!
First one came in a box of goodies I ordered from the now defunct Trendlines.
I ordered some pipe clamps pads, etc, etc, and when I got this HUGE box, I opened it up, and in the bottom was a PC detail sander, which I DID NOT order. And I was short a clamp pad. So I called them up, told them the details, and they said they would get a clamp pad right on it. I asked, WHAT ABOUT this SANDER? Guy said, keep whatevers in the box, no charge. Cool.:D
After using it some, I was so disappointed that I wanted to send it back. But I ended up giving it away. NO moola lost on that transaction.:)

So, a few years later, I was working on a staircase that had a lot of intricate trim, and despertatily needed something to sand this trim with. So----W.W. Grainger was having a clearance sale on PC, and I bought another sander, thinking it was probably NEW AND IMPROVED!!! from a few years back. Wrong:confused::confused::mad:

All the little pad thingies vibrate off. This is especially irrating when you're on a ten foot scaffle, and it goes to the floor about every two minutes:o

And the factory paper that comes with it?:mad: Another story.
Here I am hi-jacking Hal's thread.:rolleyes:

Steve

Ken Garlock
10-28-2004, 3:58 PM
Well Gents, in a attempt to claim the title of "curmudgeon at large" will have to say that the only PC tool I have is a jig saw. I bought it as a referb. from Amazon. It does a decent job, but I completely detest the spring loaded blade holder. Every time change blades, I invent some new words for my vocabulary.

I have both the 15 ga. and 18 ga Senco nailers, I have not had a jam and they continue to work as I expect - perfectly. The 18 ga. can even nail a finger when it is backing up two boards, not a smooth move on my part.... The pin nailer may be a totally different thing. I don't know about it, but my limited experience with Senco has be good. Senco was the only framing nailer the framers used when building our house.

Greg Narozniak
10-28-2004, 4:38 PM
I will be the outsider here. I own the Senco and I have been very happy with it. I got it last year @ the Woodworks show in Ft. Washinton (Actually bought it from Jim Senco) The gun is well balanced and I have put a lot of pins through it and it has not malfunctioned once. I like the soft gripvery comfy in hand.

The PC has somewhat of a saftey in the trigger lock and you do not have to change the magazine for different size pins where you do have to on the Senco but @ the time I paid $125 (With an assortment of Pins) for the Senco and the PC was $140 @ the PC booth and they were not budging on the price. For me it made it a no brainer

If both prices are the same I think it's a toss up. Senco has always been a world class tool and this one is no different. If You like the PC go for it and Ditto on the senco.

Post your decision

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 5:22 PM
Greg,

You made a comment that I have question about. Different magazines for different size pins. I'm looking at the Tool Crib/Amazon catalog. Model #FP10 with a milti size pin pack 1/2" to 1". I don't see a mention of magazines. Could this be a different model?

Senco $129 NO SHIPPING, NO TAX
PC $129 no shipping 9.5% tax, take home now.

Richard McComas
10-28-2004, 5:25 PM
I’ve been using Senco guns for 30 years and find them to me excellent guns, but I don’t have the pin nailer. My Senco guns have been so reliable that I haven’t had the need to upgrade in a lot of years so I guess I really don’t know if over the years they have dumb them down to compete with the competition. Oh BTW my place of work also has a whole line of Senco guns, most bought in the last 7 years and are use my a bunch of different people of which some have the altitude it not mine so they abuse them. Those guns have also held their ground very well.

I’ve wanted a pin nailer for some time now and have been doing some research myself. One good source Ive found is the Wood Web’s professional forums. According to the posters on this site (who make the living with tools) overwhelming recommend for a pin nailer either the Senco or the more expensive (about double) Ormer. When I finally spring for my pin nailer it will be the Ormer.

Scott Coffelt
10-28-2004, 6:12 PM
Richard, don't get me wrong. Senco makes a very nice tool in what I think is their pro line. I think they came out with a cheaper line, more for hobbiest. That's what I bought, I don't think PC has the same split. The pin nailer may actually be part of the pro line and not hobbiest. I know the Senco gun (SFN250 I think) I used many years ago was built like a tank, at the time I wanted to buy it but it cost about $100 over what I bought and I couldn't spend that much.

Alan Turner
10-29-2004, 1:17 PM
I have the Senco 23 g. pin nailer. It is OK, and I suspect it and the PC have the same deficiiency -- i.e., neither is adjustable for depth of countersink. This can matter if you are trying to shoot a 1" pin into hard maple.
I would look at the Omer if I were going to use it a lot. I believe that the depth of countersink is adjustble, and it takes up to 1.125" pins. It is about $260, I think.

I visited a cabinet shop, which has several pinners, and the guys there only use the Omer.
I have not used the Omer, and so am just passing on hearsay.
On the SEnco, there is no separate magazine, but rather you need to make an adjustment for your pin length. No big deal. But, mine jammed early on, and it took 2 mos for a warranty repair. I think I left one or 2 pins in the gun byp accident, there is a small magnet I believe at the head, and so it was stuck. I did a partial disassembly, but got nervous about voiding a warranty.
So, now, when done, I do not leave pins in the gun, but instead empty it, then close the slide, and shoot out any that are remaining. Once or twice there was one or 2 left, and I have had no trouble since then.
Were I buying today, I would go for the Omer as I can't stand buying things twice. DAMHIKT.
In fact, Hal, want my Senco? And, I will replace it with the Omer.
Alan

Royce Meritt
10-29-2004, 2:11 PM
I own both the PC 16 ga. finish nailer and 18 ga. brad nailer. Had VERY good luck with both. What exactly is a pin nailer? What makes it different than a brad nailer and in what situation would you need the pin nailer as opposed to the brad nailer? Thanks.

John Miliunas
10-29-2004, 2:46 PM
I own both the PC 16 ga. finish nailer and 18 ga. brad nailer. Had VERY good luck with both. What exactly is a pin nailer? What makes it different than a brad nailer and in what situation would you need the pin nailer as opposed to the brad nailer? Thanks.

Not a stupid question, at all! For a long time, I thought I could just do with my brad and big stick nailer. The pin nailers are great for very fine finish work. They leave a hole, as the term implies, virtually no larger than a pinhole! In many woods, depending on where exactly in the grain you place it, the entry hole is virtually undetectable. I've used mine for face frames or when just needing to lightly tack something down. Quick and efficient. :) :cool:

Hal Flynt
10-29-2004, 3:39 PM
Update

Well I went to Woodcraft to get the PC, but they have been on back order for 30 days so far and no "available date" as of now. I decided to order the Senco form Amazon and it should be here by next Thursday. I'll do a review.

I can't see the OMER just now since I will probably shoot a couple hundred pins a year. ( I may surprise myself.)

Thanks for all the input!!!

BTW, I saw the Rikon 18" bandsaw at Woodcraft and tomorrow David Marks will be at the Knoxville store.

So many tools and so little money.

Richard McComas
10-29-2004, 5:15 PM
Richard, don't get me wrong. Senco makes a very nice tool in what I think is their pro line. I think they came out with a cheaper line, more for hobbiest. That's what I bought, I don't think PC has the same split. The pin nailer may actually be part of the pro line and not hobbiest. I know the Senco gun (SFN250 I think) I used many years ago was built like a tank, at the time I wanted to buy it but it cost about $100 over what I bought and I couldn't spend that much.

You must be referring to the Accuset line on guns Senco was producing. Again I have no personal experience with that line but have read and I quote “their a piece of junk” I had no idea that you were referring to that line.

Richard McComas
10-29-2004, 5:19 PM
I have the Senco 23 g. pin nailer. It is OK, and I suspect it and the PC have the same deficiiency -- i.e., neither is adjustable for depth of countersink. This can matter if you are trying to shoot a 1" pin into hard maple.
I would look at the Omer if I were going to use it a lot. I believe that the depth of countersink is adjustble, and it takes up to 1.125" pins. It is about $260, I think.

I visited a cabinet shop, which has several pinners, and the guys there only use the Omer.
I have not used the Omer, and so am just passing on hearsay.
On the SEnco, there is no separate magazine, but rather you need to make an adjustment for your pin length. No big deal. But, mine jammed early on, and it took 2 mos for a warranty repair. I think I left one or 2 pins in the gun byp accident, there is a small magnet I believe at the head, and so it was stuck. I did a partial disassembly, but got nervous about voiding a warranty.
So, now, when done, I do not leave pins in the gun, but instead empty it, then close the slide, and shoot out any that are remaining. Once or twice there was one or 2 left, and I have had no trouble since then.
Were I buying today, I would go for the Omer as I can't stand buying things twice. DAMHIKT.
In fact, Hal, want my Senco? And, I will replace it with the Omer.
Alan

Al you can get the Omer PR 28 (5/8 to 1-1/8 pins) at the Nailzone for $245.

Scott Coffelt
10-29-2004, 7:15 PM
You must be referring to the Accuset line on guns Senco was producing. Again I have no personal experience with that line but have read and I quote “their a piece of junk” I had no idea that you were referring to that line.
No actually, I just bought a deal this week at HD where you got a Senco Brand FinishPro 15 gauge angle nailer, Finish Pro Brad Nailer and Finish Pro stapler all in a single case for $199. There were no store displays and the box was shrink wrapped so I could not look at until I brought home. The guns themselves are a partterned silvery color. I attached a picture from the HD web site.

You bring up a good point, I wonder if they decied to continue with the thought of a hobbiest grade gun, but only keep the Senco name. I decided to take back and will eventually buy either the PC angle finish nailer or the Professional grade Senco.

I also plan to eventually buy the PC pinner.

Mac McAtee
10-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Well here goes. I bought my 23 ga. pin nailer from Harbor Freight. The price was right. The tool has a nice finish and fit. It works quite well for my use. As a test, right out of the box, I put a stick of 100 pins in it and drove every last one of them into a piece of cherry. Not one bent pin, not one jamb nor one misfire. I would think that unless you are some kind of production shop, and I would even consider it for that, the Harbor Freight tool will do all you expect and more for about 1/3rd the price. You could buy 3.5 of them for the same price as one Omer.

John Miliunas
10-29-2004, 10:42 PM

OK, now I must interject here on the Accusets. When Woodcraft was selling them off before Senco pulled the name, I got both, the stapler and a brad nailer. I've used both quite extensively (no, not to the degree of a production shop...) and have been very pleased with each of them. :) I'm not sure who wrote what or where, but they've served me quite well, though if either of them ever dies, I will most likely be replacing with either a PC or Bostitch. Just MHO... :) :cool:

nic obie
10-30-2004, 1:19 PM
I wasn't sure I'd use a pinner very much so I bought the $59.95 HF gun thinking that if I liked it I could always replace it with a better one if it broke.

Well, I find I'm using the gun more than I thought I would, and the little HF hasn't malfunctioned once. It has a switch you have to toggle when switching between 1/2" and 1" pins, but that's no big deal.

Jim Becker
10-30-2004, 1:36 PM
OK, now I must interject here on the Accusets. When Woodcraft was selling them off before Senco pulled the name, I got both, the stapler and a brad nailer. I've used both quite extensively (no, not to the degree of a production shop...) and have been very pleased with each of them.The current Senco pinner is virtually identical to the Accuset version I have...pretty much the only one they brought forward when they killed the black and red line. (I have almost everything sold under Accuset except for a 16 guage gun). Good tools...very comfortable in the hand. And surprisingly, our buddy Norm actually has some of them in the NYW and you can see them on a few of the shows from a couple years ago.

To Nic's point...I'm the same way. The pinner gets used more than I ever anticipated--even for temporary jigging!

Mark Singer
10-30-2004, 3:01 PM
Ihave the PC finish nailer and pin nailer....both are great and do have adjustable countersink depths. I have the finish nailer for 5 years and have used it a lot....it still runs fine...

Sal Morgani
10-31-2004, 10:46 AM
I bought the PC pin nailer. I had to glue some small moulding I made out of mahogany to a case and there was no practical way to use clamps, so I thought a pin nailer would be just right. I could apply the glue to the piece then pin it to the wood to prevent it from slipping and since the piece is so small the pin would hold it while the glue dries. I am either doing something wrong or the gun is defective. Yes the pin is small but either the surface head of the gun is to sharp or the plunger that pushes the pin in is larger than the pin because the entry hole for the pin is much larger than the pin itself. Any thoughts? Sal

Jim Becker
10-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Sal, you will still need to fill those pin holes (your eyes are pretty sharp at picking them out) and the easiest and best way to do that is right before the final clear coat. Use a colored fill pencil that is the same color as your nearly finished project or just a hair darker. The holes will virtually disappear and the final clear coat will cover them totally. For small moldings that need to remain removable, such as those that hold in glass, you can just use the pinner without glue (angling the pins gives a little more holding power) and then touch the holes with the filler pencil to hide them.

Byron Trantham
10-31-2004, 10:56 AM
I do not have any experience with Senco. I did buy the PC piner from Amazon. I love the thing! The only thing I hate is the safety trigger. :mad: I always forget to engage the safety trigger. I'd buy another one. :D

Jim Becker
10-31-2004, 10:59 AM
The only thing I hate is the safety trigger. I always forget to engage the safety trigger.
The Senco/Accuset I have does not have a safety trigger...it's the one thing you need to be careful with regarding many pinners. They really can "shoot" fasteners across the room! :o

Byron Trantham
10-31-2004, 11:10 AM
The Senco/Accuset I have does not have a safety trigger...it's the one thing you need to be careful with regarding many pinners. They really can "shoot" fasteners across the room! :o

Jim, you got that right. I tried it and it will put a pin across the room! :eek:
I like the idea, I'm just not used to it as my other nailers don't have this feature. ;)

Richard McComas
10-31-2004, 2:07 PM
I bought the PC pin nailer. I had to glue some small moulding I made out of mahogany to a case and there was no practical way to use clamps, so I thought a pin nailer would be just right. I could apply the glue to the piece then pin it to the wood to prevent it from slipping and since the piece is so small the pin would hold it while the glue dries. I am either doing something wrong or the gun is defective. Yes the pin is small but either the surface head of the gun is to sharp or the plunger that pushes the pin in is larger than the pin because the entry hole for the pin is much larger than the pin itself. Any thoughts? Sal

One of the features of the Omer is the driver is the same size as the pins, so I''ve been told.

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2004, 4:19 PM
I plan to order the Porter Cable (at this point). I found a place that has it for $124.97 and $6.98 in shipping. Amazon should price match and knock off another $1.50 from the total (10% of difference). The best deal on the Senco is $115 and another $1.30 off that for a price match.

PC has a safety feature, comes with 2,000 pins and also has a auto size feature as advantages over Senco.

Now my question, for those that have the PC how's the experience been with denting with the nose? I read some reviews that said it was a problem, but sometime users are at fault more than anything.

John Miliunas
11-10-2004, 9:59 PM
Now my question, for those that have the PC how's the experience been with denting with the nose? I read some reviews that said it was a problem, but sometime users are at fault more than anything.

Scott, I haven't had my PC for that long and the limited use it's seen, has all been in hardwoods, primarily Maple & Cherry. Can't say that I've noticed any "denting". I've been quite pleased with the results, even in Ambrosia Maple, which is somewhat softer then the other hardwoods. :cool:

Hal Flynt
11-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Well I ended up with the Senco from Amazon ($129.99 free shipping with 1000 pins) because the PC's were out of stocak and backordered at Woodcraft.

This is my first Senco, so I don't have another to compare it too. I have had the Airy brad and stapler combo for about 6 years and this Senco has much better fit and finish. It doesn't have the autosize of the PC, but it's extremely simple on the Senco. The magazine simply slides backwards or forwards to a marked index on the side which then has the pins sitting proud of the slot about 3/16". There is no depth adjustment that I can find and this gun shoots the pin dead flat out of the box. I haven't played around with the pressure settings on my compressor yet and I think its at 75 psi at the gun. No denting on the material that I can see and no noticible recoil like my brad nailers or finnish nailer (Bostich). I even pinned a 1/8" end grain cutoff to a long grain piece and no splitting, denting or anything else, but 2 tiny pins. I would like to counter sink these pins maybe 1/32", But all in all I like what it does.

There was another piston/driver in the case which is a nice feature.

Sounds to me like either are fine pinners.