PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had problems with Firefox 3.6 ?

Harry Hagan
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I installed 3.6 yesterday and switched back to Firefox 3.5.8 when I couldn’t scroll in the forum.

It was also noticeably slower than 3.5.8.

I’m using an IBM ThinkPad and running MS XP.

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm on 3.5.7 still here at work. Looks like 3.5.8 is trying to download. Haven't seen the 3.6 yet. I'll have to look at home and see what the latest download was. Jim.

Ken Garlock
02-19-2010, 1:39 PM
Hi Harry.

I just installed the latest release, 3.6 and it appears to be working just fine. My system is a home brew Intel MB and 3.2 Ghz processor with 1 GB ram.

Scott Shepherd
02-19-2010, 1:57 PM
3.6 working fine here, scrolling fine too.

Roger Fournier
02-19-2010, 2:14 PM
Works fine for me, too.

Larry Browning
02-19-2010, 2:16 PM
I've been using 3.6 ever since it came out, maybe a month or so. It works fine, seems to be a bit faster than 3.5.x to me.

Harry Hagan
02-19-2010, 2:52 PM
Different hardware/software combinations don’t always have an identical response to the same software. I sent Mozilla a comment on my problem and will reload the 3.6 in a month or so to see if they’ve fixed the glitch. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave Johnson29
02-19-2010, 4:08 PM
Hi Harry,

I have been using it for a few weeks now and all is fine. Start it in Safe Mode and see if that fixes it.

If so, it will be an Add-on. try disabling them all then Enabling them one by one until it stops scrolling. Probably one that has not been updated for 3.6.

Hold down the Windows key and press "R" for Run
Then Enter...
firefox -safe-mode
Click OK.

Harry Hagan
02-19-2010, 4:57 PM
Hey Dave,

I’ll try your safe-mode suggestion. My laptop doesn’t have a “windows” key but I know how to access the “run” window. The problem is that it won’t scroll a page. Try reading this forum without the ability to scroll.

As I stated earlier, 3.6 was quite a bit slower than 3.5.8—both loading and running. The only advantages to 3.6 over 3.5.8 for me are the security enhancements.

Harry Hagan
02-19-2010, 6:02 PM
Dave,

Back again. Tried it in Safe Mode with Add-ons disabled—same story. Might be a conflict with my mouse hardware/software. I’ll reload 3.6 in a month or so and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck Wintle
02-19-2010, 6:35 PM
I installed 3.6 yesterday and switched back to Firefox 3.5.8 when I couldn’t scroll in the forum.

It was also noticeably slower than 3.5.8.

I’m using an IBM ThinkPad and running MS XP.

No problems here! :D

Ted Calver
02-19-2010, 7:02 PM
Harry, Have you tried your settings? Tools...options...general...Browsing check the scrolling boxes??

Dave Johnson29
02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Tried it in Safe Mode with Add-ons disabled—same story.

Hi Harry,

When you want to scroll a page, what are you using? The scroll bars on the right + left click or the mouse wheel or what?

Dave Johnson29
02-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Have you tried your settings? Tools...options...general...Browsing check the scrolling boxes??

Hi Ted,

I suspect you have an Add-on that has added that option in to the General tab. I am not aware of the "scrolling boxes," option and they do not appear on my version.

Maybe Harry could install that Add-on?

Ted Calver
02-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Dave...my mistake, it's on the advanced tab

Dave Johnson29
02-20-2010, 5:31 PM
Dave...my mistake, it's on the advanced tab

Hi Ted,

OK, thanks, got it, but neither of those options should affect Page scrolling.

If using a wheel mouse, it should be possible to set the number of lines scrolled per notch of the wheel. Maybe that will help Harry.

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I loaded 3.6 this morning here on the home computer. Scrolling works fine for me.
Two new/different things I have noticed...when I open a picture and it's taking too long to load, if I click on it, it opens in a new tab (normal), but the new tab opens next to the one I was in, instead of all the way to the right. I think I like it, but it will take a little getting used to which one to close. #2 is the custom navigation bar backgrounds you can load. I've got a LiveStrong one on now. There are only what, 3500 different ones? Some are a little weird too. ;) Jim.

Chris Kennedy
02-21-2010, 6:27 AM
I forget which version of Firefox it was, but the Firefox on my 64 bit Vista machine started acting strange after one of the recent updates. It would be slow to load, it would have trouble with certain pages (my work Google e-mail account), and then it did this strange thing that if you were using it, closed it, and tried to open it again later, it would tell you there was a session already running. I chalked it up to the 64-bit Vista not interacting well with it.

I downloaded Chrome, and really like it. I still use Firefox on my XP machine without any problems.

Cheers,

Chris

Harry Hagan
02-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I’m back. I didn’t realize this discussion had continued.

IBM calls the round red button the TrackPoint. The TrackPoint is a cursor-pointing device manipulated by your index finger. Pressing the blue bar activates the scroll feature and when used in conjunction with the TrackPoint, the user is able to scroll a screen image without using a scroll bar. The red bars retain the same functions of a standard mouse: Left click, Right click.

The blue bar does not function when Firefox 3.6 is installed on my ThinkPad.

I’ll try upgrading to 3.6 or higher in month or two and see what happens.

Thanks again for your interest and input.

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2010, 10:14 AM
IBM calls the round red button the TrackPoint.

<groan>Harry, I feel for ya! :(

I have a an older Toshiba I use on one of the CNC machines that has that stupid stick they licensed from IBM for a short time. I got a USB wireless mouse pronto.

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
it would tell you there was a session already running.

That's not an uncommon behavior for FF since about version 1.5. It takes about 30 seconds after you click "Exit" before FF actually finsihes all the clean up and updating operating files before it actually stops running.

If you try to run it again immediately after an Exit, even though you cannot see it running it will give that message.

One some rare occasions when you get that message, it will not shut down at all and you will not know it is running, so open the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) or (Right click with the cursor in the bar at the bottom of the screen), click "Processes" and look for Firefox.exe and click it. Then click "End Process" and wait about 30 seconds.

Myk Rian
02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
That's not an uncommon behavior for FF since about version 1.5. It takes about 30 seconds after you click "Exit" before FF actually finsihes all the clean up and updating operating files before it actually stops running.
Especially the first time you exit. That takes longer to clear it from memory.

Harry Hagan
02-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Dave,
I actually LOVE the TrackPoint !!! Sometimes it requires a good rap on the head—like my teachers did for me when I was goofing off in school.

It’s one of those things you either love or despise.

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2010, 5:35 PM
Dave,
I actually LOVE the TrackPoint !!!

Harry,

Maybe my hands are too old and shaky, but when I get close to a click-point, just nudging it that last 1/16" always results in at least 3 over-shoots.

Something like the little triangle to the left of Folder names. I can spend days scooting around there. :D:D

Larry Browning
02-22-2010, 1:48 PM
Dave,
I actually LOVE the TrackPoint !!!
It’s one of those things you either love or despise.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why anyone would not DESPISE that stupid eraser head thing. Have you used anything else to control the cursor besides that torture device? Sorry, it's just that I have never run across anyone that actually liked them. For me, this is the worst pointing device out therem followed closely behind by track balls and touch pads.
Of course this is coming from someone who can only use a regular mouse. Everything else I have tried seems to require me to think about how to use it. With a mouse I don't conciously think about it. It just becomes an extention of my mind, I just think "move the cursor there" and it just goes there. With any other type of pointing device, I have to think about how to make the cursor go there.

I just got a new wireless mouse for my work computer and really like it. It has a feature that I really like. Side to side pressure applied to the wheel cause horizonal scrolling. This is fantastic when working in a spreadsheet!
This is probably not new stuff to most of you, but it was a "GEE WHIZ!" moment for me.

Chris Kennedy
02-22-2010, 8:17 PM

If you try to run it again immediately after an Exit, even though you cannot see it running it will give that message.

One some rare occasions when you get that message, it will not shut down at all and you will not know it is running, so open the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) or (Right click with the cursor in the bar at the bottom of the screen), click "Processes" and look for Firefox.exe and click it. Then click "End Process" and wait about 30 seconds.

Especially the first time you exit. That takes longer to clear it from memory.

This was MUCH later. We're talking hours. The first few times I was surprised, especially after I hadn't used the computer in a while. I checked the Task Manager and it didn't register a Firefox session. The only solution was to restart. I had been running Firefox for years without any trouble and then after a recent update, we started having trouble. Something happened between it and Vista, I think.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Chris

Jim Becker
02-22-2010, 9:25 PM
For the life of me I cannot figure out why anyone would not DESPISE that stupid eraser head thing. Have you used anything else to control the cursor besides that torture device? Sorry, it's just that I have never run across anyone that actually liked them.

Any laptop/notebook computer that DOESN'T have a trackpoint "eraser head thing" isn't welcome in my life. I hate touchpads...I'm a "right mouse button" user and that's difficult to do with a touchpad, but perfectly comfortable with the pointing stick. I will say that I prefer the IBM/Lenovo version over the one on my Dell as the former has the extra scroll button that really makes things work well.

I now have a small wireless rodent for use when I have to get on my daughter's netbooks that only have a touchpad or for other times when traveling with my Dell (work machine) that sitting back away from the keyboard is more comfortable. But for the latter, I sometimes forget I have the mouse and my hands land on the keyboard and the pointing stick quite unconsciously.... :)

Larry Browning
02-23-2010, 2:13 PM
Any laptop/notebook computer that DOESN'T have a trackpoint "eraser head thing" isn't welcome in my life. I hate touchpads...I'm a "right mouse button" user and that's difficult to do with a touchpad, but perfectly comfortable with the pointing stick. I will say that I prefer the IBM/Lenovo version over the one on my Dell as the former has the extra scroll button that really makes things work well.

I now have a small wireless rodent for use when I have to get on my daughter's netbooks that only have a touchpad or for other times when traveling with my Dell (work machine) that sitting back away from the keyboard is more comfortable. But for the latter, I sometimes forget I have the mouse and my hands land on the keyboard and the pointing stick quite unconsciously.... :)

sometimes I really wish I could use some other type of pointing device that didn't require it to be detached from the keyboard when I am traveling. No joy so far. I guess I am just too set in my ways to change.
The world would a very dull place indeed if everybody did things the same way and always shared the same opinion.