PDA

View Full Version : What's with THIS guy Phil Hendrie?

wells conklin
02-19-2010, 7:38 AM
Anybody out there heard -- or heard of -- this radio guy Phil Hendrie? He has the most outrageous interviews, one with a guy named Floyd Bonnafine... I thought it had to be a put-on. I've never heard his show where we live, but we heard him while on a road trip in Minneapolis.

John Coloccia
02-19-2010, 8:10 AM
I listened to him when he was on in California. He is absolutely HILLARIOUS, and it's almost impossible to believe that he does all of the characters himself, live...until you see him do it, and then it's even more amazing. He's a little crude sometimes, but he's a gem.

Ernie Nyvall
02-19-2010, 8:16 AM
Yeah, Phil Hendrie is also the guy he is interviewing. He does several voices, and really does a good job of the interview so that people think it is two different people. It's amazing how fast he can change from one voice to the other or one personality to the other. He does take calls from the public who are usually very upset with the mockup interviewee, although from time to time he will catch someone who agrees with the mockup. You know then that the caller is really a wacko. When a caller is upset with the mockup, Phil will agree with the caller against the other personality and keep the caller going pretty good, and it can get real crazy.

Mike Cruz
02-19-2010, 8:37 AM
Sounds like the Greaseman got an alter ego.

John Coloccia
02-19-2010, 7:28 PM
I would post some Phil Hendrie videos, but a lot of the ones I know have off radio chit chat between him and his producer, and there's a couple of naughty words in there. Just do a google search for some of his videos. Boy, I was really upset when he retired. He would keep me company on my daily commute through the desert of California.

He also donates all of the proceeds from his CD sales to My Friends Place. They help homeless youth in California. At least, I think he still does this. I believe he's helped other centers in Miami as well when he was based in Florida.

Anyhow, he's worth checking out if for no other reason than to enjoy the circus act of one person seamlessly improvising 2 or 3 characters at the same time, while chatting with callers (who amazingly have no idea it's all a joke).

Greg Peterson
02-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Jay Santos from the Citizens Auxiliary Police was my favorite character.

Van Huskey
02-20-2010, 3:43 AM
Sounds like the Greaseman got an alter ego.

Used to listen to him in the late 80s when I was in DC, is he still around?

Patrick Doody
02-23-2010, 9:16 AM
I would post some Phil Hendrie videos, but a lot of the ones I know have off radio chit chat between him and his producer, and there's a couple of naughty words in there. Just do a google search for some of his videos. Boy, I was really upset when he retired. He would keep me company on my daily commute through the desert of California.

He also donates all of the proceeds from his CD sales to My Friends Place. They help homeless youth in California. At least, I think he still does this. I believe he's helped other centers in Miami as well when he was based in Florida.

Anyhow, he's worth checking out if for no other reason than to enjoy the circus act of one person seamlessly improvising 2 or 3 characters at the same time, while chatting with callers (who amazingly have no idea it's all a joke).

Huge Hendrie fan here.

He came out of retirement about 2 years ago, and the show format changed a bit, there's more political commentary now and he still has his characters that he "interviews" but rarely has live callers interact with them, which was my favorite part of the old show format. He is one of the most talented people in show business, though I like the old format of his show waay better. after seeing some of his webcasts and how much work went into the show during commercial breaks i can see why he changed the format, looked like an extremely stressful job, screening all of those calls looking for good callers.

If you have a chance check out the play by play work he did on a fictional football season, some classic stuff right there.

Jeff Wright
02-23-2010, 3:23 PM
Found this:

http://www.newphilhendrieshow.com/

Mick David
02-23-2010, 3:29 PM
Used to listen to him in the late 80s when I was in DC, is he still around?

He got fired some time in the '90s for making an inexplicably bad, racially insensitive comment involving people getting dragged behind trucks. He said a few bad things before then (I also listened to him in the '80s and '90s), but that one got him bounced pretty much permanently.

Van Huskey
02-23-2010, 5:09 PM
He got fired some time in the '90s for making an inexplicably bad, racially insensitive comment involving people getting dragged behind trucks. He said a few bad things before then (I also listened to him in the '80s and '90s), but that one got him bounced pretty much permanently.

I am surprised he lasted that long. I am very open to shock comics but some of the things he said made me CRINGE, the ones I have in mind I can;t even convey the general idea on a public forum. I enjoyed listening to him but like so many of his ilk sooner or later find the line that crossed allows no return.