PDA

View Full Version : Arts & Crafts columns?

Brian Penning
02-19-2010, 7:33 AM
Looking for suggestions as to what wood columns would look like in the A&C style.
I've got to wrap the 3 interior sides of a couple of 16 foot high, 8" X 8" columns with some oak.
Wondering what the details should look like at the edges and where probably a couple of 8' boards would butt against each other.
Perhaps a book suggestion?
TIA

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2010, 10:31 AM
The edge details are going to look simple, but for a true A&C look, you should taper the column pieces. The architectural term is "battered column". The base and capital should be simple as well, maybe with rakishly chamfered edge on the exposed sides (not a mitered edge, but chamfered).

Hope this offers some ideas.

Brian Penning
02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
The edge details are going to look simple, but for a true A&C look, you should taper the column pieces. The architectural term is "battered column". The base and capital should be simple as well, maybe with rakishly chamfered edge on the exposed sides (not a mitered edge, but chamfered).

Hope this offers some ideas.

Appreciate the reply. Know where I could see some examples of this?

Michael Weber
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Maybe this? Simple but attractive.

http://www.pacificcolumns.com/columns-composite-endura-craft-square-tapered.php

Robert Reece
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
What kind of budget are you on?

16' tall? That's pretty tall for any kind of taper.
How about wrapping the top 8' in frame and panel assemblies (quartersawn oak would be preferable).

Then the bottom 8' could be tapered.

Brian Penning
02-19-2010, 12:14 PM
What kind of budget are you on?

16' tall? That's pretty tall for any kind of taper.
How about wrapping the top 8' in frame and panel assemblies (quartersawn oak would be preferable).

Then the bottom 8' could be tapered.

I'd say high end budget wise.
I like that frame and panel idea but is it A&C style?
I'm making 10 different pieces for someone, all in the A&C style.

Robert Reece
02-19-2010, 1:14 PM
I don't know exactly what constitutes Arts and Crafts. I was thinking about a panel like the side of this dresser:

http://www.artofthecraft.com/_prod01.htm

With 16' vertical to work with, you may have to play with the proportions and the number of panels to get it to look right. I'd also use some kind of small trim wrap between each set of panels. For example if you wrap the top 8' and the bottom 8' then you would have some kind of trim wrap at 8' to separate the panels.

I think as long as you use quartersawn white oak and flat panels, it will looks "Arts and Crafts" to the vast majority of the population.

Rob Fisher
02-19-2010, 1:46 PM
I don't know exactly what constitutes Arts and Crafts. I was thinking about a panel like the side of this dresser:

http://www.artofthecraft.com/_prod01.htm

With 16' vertical to work with, you may have to play with the proportions and the number of panels to get it to look right. I'd also use some kind of small trim wrap between each set of panels. For example if you wrap the top 8' and the bottom 8' then you would have some kind of trim wrap at 8' to separate the panels.

I think as long as you use quartersawn white oak and flat panels, it will looks "Arts and Crafts" to the vast majority of the population.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Think of it as a 16' tall piece of furniture. That said you could also incorporate some inlays if the panels get too plain. Something like this

http://bonniesfurnituredesign.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/f_89-0477_HEFallFrtBkcs_o_s_.43135441_std.jpg

You could also look at C R Mackintosh's work for panel decoration.

Rob

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2010, 4:57 PM
That's a great way to treat it, placing the tapers on top of paneled piers. Careful with the proportions, as splitting the 16' in half is going to look funny to the eye. Better to try for the lower third of the 16' to be a paneled pier, and the upper two thirds a taper, or battered column. That is very classic A&C.

Dan Forman
02-19-2010, 4:58 PM
Get thee to your public library and look for books about arts and crafts decor, as well as furniture. Search keywords: Bungalow, Arts and Crafts, Mission. There should be plenty of material for free in the library there in Montreal.

Also check your local book store for "American Bungalow" or "Arts and Crafts Homes" magazines.

Dan