PDA

View Full Version : Self Feeding augers and hole saws

Andrew Nemeth
02-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I know this is more of a construction question but I thought you folks might be able to help me out. I just purchased a Milwaukee right angle "holehog" drill. Now I have to find bits for it. I assume that the bits should be self feeding since I will not be able to provide much pushing force since it will be drilling perpendicular to me. I think the minimum set I would like to have should work for 1.5", 2", and 3" PVC pipe. I was thinking about 2", 2.5", and 3.625" bits. Do those sizes seem right? Now, what brand and where to get them?

-Thanks
Andrew

Jim Heffner
02-19-2010, 12:13 AM
You might want to check with HD or Lowe's for some of those larger sized
forstner bits in their plumbing or electrical depts. A word of caution, they are expensive! The larger they are, the higher the cost!

Andrew Nemeth
02-19-2010, 12:16 AM
I expect the cost. I'm just trying to spend the money on the right thing, the first time.

Chris Rosenberger
02-19-2010, 8:22 AM
Amazon.com has a large selection of self feed bits.
Here is a link to the Sawmill Creek Amazon Store.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/shop
Just search for self feeding bits.

I have never seen a self feeding hole saw.
Be careful with that drill with large self feeding bits.
It can be an arm breaker.

Matt Worner
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Andrew,

The vendor from whom you got the drill should also stock the bits you need. Milwaukee makes self feeding bits with replaceable feed screws which are the only ones I personally would consider having; the cutting edges can be sharpened, but the first nail will make a mess of the screw and they cannot be easily sharpened. Usually one winds up sharpening off the first couple of threads and the point has to be slammed into the wood like an awl. Hard on the tool and the guy that paid for it.

As far as holesaws are concerned if you have more than one hole to drill in wood you will get plenty of practice wailing and gnashing of teeth.:mad: They really only work well with metal. I have found that the pilot bit of a holesaw should only extend far enough to get the cup started without walking. Having the pilot out far enough to penetrate the work will cause it to "punch through" and when the teeth slam into the work they will grab and bend the pilot bit. In fact if I have a lot of hole sawing I will drill a 1/4" hole and use the holesaw with a piece of 1/4" drill rod as a pilot. If the only thing available is the holesaw pilot bit use the mandrel without the cup to pre-drill then spin the cup on to cut the hole.

Now that I am retired I seldom need holesaws (praise the Lord) but when I do I still remember what 38 years in the trade have given me opportunity to learn. (Usually the hard way):o

Matt

Robert Reece
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
The last time my plumber showed up here, he had some new bits. He used to have those milwaukee self feeds, which I have. They are good bits, especially if you take care of them. However, what he had was essentially a self feed hole saw with one big replaceable carbide tooth on it. Yes, it had only one tooth on the outside rim. It cut quite well. I sort of prefer this new style because it doesn't make a gigantic pile of wood chips. I just guts a wood plug since it is more of a hole saw instead of a forstner bit type thing.

Edit: here it is. http://toolmonger.com/2008/06/11/one-tooth-hole-cutter/

Scott T Smith
02-19-2010, 8:08 PM
I use the Milwaukee self feed bits with my right angle drill, and have been extremely pleased with them. They work better than any forstner bit or hole saw that I've used.