PDA

View Full Version : Sliding dovetail lids - anyone know how?

Dan Pinc
10-28-2004, 1:21 PM
Hi everyone,

Recently I saw a picture of a little box with a sliding dovetail lid (please see attached) I would like to use this technique to build some jewelry box lids. Would anyone know how to do this or have an idea how I could learn, like a specific book or article? Perhaps you might have an idea for a jig that you could share. I'm a beginning woodworker, but I think something on a router table may be the way to go. What do you think? Any information that you can share would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
danshirl@aol.com

Donnie Raines
10-28-2004, 2:24 PM
If it works like I think it does, I woudl do it this way. On the table saw, tilt the blade to the correct angle(a good angle for dovetails is 14 degrees...translate that over for your saws settings). I would set the fence for the correct cut in from the edge and make the pass(of coarse you need to se the height of the blade to the proper height..whatever that may be). Flip the item around and make the other cut. This will give you the two outside angles that look like the start of a dovetail. leav the saw blade where it is(angle wise) and cut the lid to fit. The angle of the blade will make the mateing cut...to giv you that dovetail look...

if I am seeing this right....... :rolleyes:

Bob Smalser
10-28-2004, 3:20 PM
While the box is still squared up but after you've drilled it out....simply cut the female dovetail in the box body on the router table and fence...

...then do the same to the edges of the oversize lid, working up to the edge in increments by trial fitting...then cut all your profiles.

Dan Stuewe
10-28-2004, 3:49 PM
This was a slightly different box, but the lid does slide on dovetails. I got the plans from Woodsmith magazine. I believe it was No. 105. It has been awhile, but from what I remember each piece had the dovetail (male or female) routed on the table before assembly.