PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Maple and Walnut potpourri

Curt Fuller
02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Steve Schlumph (thank you Steve) sent me some amazing pieces of birdseye maple. I've been trying to figure out what to make with them for a while and finally decided to try some segmenting. I'm definitely not a segmenter as you can see in the inside photo of this. It was supposed to have a segmented base, body, and collar. When I got to the collar I tried 3 times and couldn't get the glue lines to line up so I bailed and went with a solid collar. But it still shows off the beautiful birdseye maple. It's 6.5" x 2" and just has a little danish oil wiped on it so far.

David E Keller
02-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow... That is beautiful wood, and a wonderful creation to boot! I love the rich color and figure. It's just beautiful.

Baxter Smith
02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Very nice! I like the solid collar. Its not overwhelmingly segmented if that means anything. I can appreciate the contrast this way. Well done!

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Looks great Curt! Nice design! I think the solid collar ties everything together! Sure is some pretty wood and you really brought it to life! Very nice work!

John Terefenko
02-19-2010, 12:09 AM
That is simple yet elegant. Looks like a good project for someone like me who has never done a segmented project before to give a try. I also thing the solid color was a good call. Thanks for showing.

Robert McGowen
02-19-2010, 12:16 AM
I really like the contrast between the woods, but they both seem to have a rich, dark tone to the them that compliment each other. Nice job and the wood Steve sent you is really something else.

Wood movement wise, you would probably be better off (and easier!) to use a solid piece bottom, instead of segments.

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Simple but beautiful Curt. Really well done. I like how the collar on it seems to tie it all together.

Doug W Swanson
02-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Nice.

I like the color contrast. The shape is also very pleasing to the eye....

Doug

Jeff Nicol
02-19-2010, 5:46 AM
Curt, I have some birdseye from Steve also and need to find the perfect use for it also. Maybe something along the lines of your idea will do the trick. I need to make some Pot porri bowls anyway, might be the push I need.

Very cool!

Jeff

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 7:33 AM
Walnut and maple - the magic duo!! Curt, the segmenting really is complimented by the shape of this piece. And, you have just enough division with the size of the maple "slices" and the smaller, non-tapered walnut dividers really work. The one piece collar was definitely the way to go. Really, really a nice piece.

I have not given any thought to the dynamics of segmented pieces, but I think Robert is probably right on the stability of a nonsegmented bottom on a piece like this. But, with the use of all walnut, one would never notice the variance in the glue lines. I had to look for it after reading your post.

By the way, I really appreciate the timeliness of these pot pourri dishes - my lids should be in today!!

Dennis Ford
02-19-2010, 8:43 AM
Beautiful work! The wood is really nice but your vision and skill is what made this work.

steven carter
02-19-2010, 9:58 AM
Curt,

Looks pretty darn nice to me! That is some really good looking bird's eye maple. As other have said, I think the collar brings it all together very nicely, it brings attention to the bird's eye IMO.

Steve

Mark Hubl
02-19-2010, 1:47 PM
Very nice.

Jon Finch
02-19-2010, 2:11 PM
I really like that piece, Curt!

Brian Effinger
02-19-2010, 5:07 PM
That is really pretty, Curt. Great job on the segmenting, and the form is perfect. :)

mike fuson
02-19-2010, 7:50 PM
I like this one more and more everytime I look at it. Nice job Curt

Jon Lanier
02-20-2010, 12:34 AM
I love the segmenting. Really pretty piece.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-20-2010, 1:19 AM
Curt I don't care for doing segmenting, but I must admit this looks real good, very nice color combinations and proportions on it, nice piece, very nice piece :-))))

Van Huskey
02-20-2010, 5:05 AM
I like it a lot!

Roland Martin
02-20-2010, 8:37 AM
Very nice combination of wood. I really like the form of this one and the segmenting is done well. Awesome job Curt!

Pete Jordan
02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Stunning as always!

Ken Glass
02-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Curt,
What a nice piece. The two woods are really great together and form is spot on. Well done. Where do you buy your tops?

Richard Madison
02-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Beautiful piece Curt. As mentioned, just need to keep it in constant rh environment.

Michael Jasani
02-20-2010, 3:31 PM
Simple yet elegant! I am given to understand that there is nothing simple aboutsegmented turnings....its a lot of precision work!