PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peek on #14 - and, a question

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 9:44 PM
This is my first vase shape, and I have a question regarding the foot.
If I lay a ruler along the profile, the ruler almost touches at the rim, foot and the high spot on the ogee. The ogee protrudes a bit past the line.

I still have enough wood to change that portion of the profile some. Part of me says it needs a smaller foot, but I really think that if I did that, I need to pull the ogee in quite a bit.

Thoughts?

BTW, this is from a walnut blank given to me by Ken Fitzgerald - Thanks Ken!! Almost looks like Claro, and turns like Claro?!?!

Dennis Ford
02-18-2010, 9:57 PM
That is a very nice shape, I would not change the ogee. I do agree that the foot could be smaller, possibly shorter also. Great wood too.

Walter McGuire
02-18-2010, 9:57 PM
I haven't dove into the world of woodturning yet, but just from an aesthetic standpoint it's very pleasing to the eye as is. I've heard that once you get into this area of woodworking, you'll be hooked. If i ever decide to try it, I'm sure i'll be hitting you up for some advice.

David Christopher
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
John, I like the shape just as it is.....also beautiful piece of wood

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Rules are there to be broken, what is preventing you from going with a smaller foot ??
If not sure than draw the profile without a foot and try smaller ones to see what YOU like.
Me would go with what you have in the profile but with a slightly smaller foot, but it isn't me that's making the vase, looks like gorgeous wood John.

Baxter Smith
02-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Pretty wood, nice shape. Everytime I have been on the fence about making a foot/base a little smaller, then gone ahead and reduced it, I have been satisfied with the end results. This is not the voice of experience talking!;):) Leo's suggestion of drawing some pictures sounds good to me.

Curt Fuller
02-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Like the others, I would suggest a smaller foot. The curve is very nice. Just keep it going until you get somewhere in the ballpark of 1/3 the overall width of the rim, maybe slightly smaller. And if it were mine, I would then reverse the curve for just a small 1/8-1/4" foot to elevate it just enough to show the base.

That's some nice wood too!

Brian Effinger
02-18-2010, 11:45 PM
How would you feel about losing the foot all together, and rolling the ogee under to form the base? If not, then if it were me, I'd leave the base as is.

Just my opinion.

Brian

David E Keller
02-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Beautiful wood... I don't know the 'rules' for this form, but I like the current look. That being said, almost always for me, a smaller foot is a good idea... Maybe slightly smaller in circuference and smaller in height as well.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2010, 12:27 AM
John - I agree with Curt and would take the foot down to about 1/3 the size of the opening. At that point I would turn it to match the flare of the lip. Think of using a cove where the foot meets the form - with the bottom of the foot flared out to mimic the lip.

Just an idea offered for your consideration.

Very pretty wood! I look forward to seeing this one finished! It will be a show stopper! Very nice work so far!

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I have to agree with Curt and Steve. I like Steve's idea of using a cove. Can't wait to see what you decide and the finished piece.

Doug W Swanson
02-19-2010, 12:56 AM
John,

I think it looks fine the way it is. That's just me but everyone else will have a different opinion.

I look at it this way: if Leonardo Da Vinci had asked for opinions on the Mona Lisa before he was finished with it would it still look the same? What about a Sam Maloof chair?

With your skills and talents, I think you should just finish your pieces and let us drool over them once they are done!

JMO,
Doug

charlie knighton
02-19-2010, 5:10 AM
John, you will need to try the form both ways....in other words, just keep expermenting, it easier if you have both done sitting side by side, which may lead you to something else

Jeff Nicol
02-19-2010, 5:41 AM
John, It all has been said, it could be smaller it could be left alone. The hard thing is when it is still attached to the tenon and the chuck it sometimes thows off the eyes true perception of the finished look. Take a piece of paper or cardboard and cover up the chuck so you can see it as it would really look sitting on a table or shelf. This will give you a better idea of what to do.

No matter what you are hooked and a wonderful turner!

Jeff

P.S. Got the base plate yesterday.

Donny Lawson
02-19-2010, 7:18 AM
I think it looks great just like it is.The vase has some very nice character to it.
Donny

Tony De Masi
02-19-2010, 9:30 AM
John, I will say that the overall shape it good but the foot COULD be smaller in diameter and height. If I were doing it that's what I would do but this is your piece and the design is all yours.

Tony

Hilel Salomon
02-19-2010, 9:40 AM
There are rules and there are rules. Classic form aficionados will say one thing, while free form lovers will say something else. I think that it is going to be a beautiful piece regardless of what you do or don't do. As for me, the LOL always wants a large flat bottom. Although she has incredibly refined taste in almost everything, when it comes to wood, stability is more important to her than form. She's less than happy with some of my most rounded bowls and happy with clunky ones.
Good Luck,

Hilel.

steven carter
02-19-2010, 9:52 AM
Function vs Form - seems to be the question we all ask again and again. For me it would all depend on the intended use of the vase. If you see it being filled with material that would tend to make it top heavy, then I would leave it as it is, if not maybe a smaller foot. As I said in a previous reply, your wife seems to have a very good eye for form and function, what does she think about it?

Steve

Thom Sturgill
02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
John, I concur with Kurt and Steve also. Try taking a profile photo and editing it (use paint if you don't have anything better). That way you can play with the impact of the changes before you commit it back to the lathe. Sometimes its hard to visualize the impact small changes can make, and for me what looks good while on the lathe may not look right once stood upright.

I also agree that that is a really nice piece of wood that Ken sent you.

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Great suggestions!! I will do some photo editing later on, and see what I can come up with. At this point, I think the suggestion by Curt and Steve is a good one, and I will work with that some.

Thanks for the kind comments on the piece. It is a fairly simple form, but the wood is very nice.

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I used Photoshop Elements and made the foot approximately 1/3 of the opening, and shortened it a bit. Here are two pics. On the second pic, there is a bead added at the transition point. What do you think?

Gary Conklin
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
My personal preference is for the first one. Either way it is a great piece! Very well done.

Gary Chester
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Nice curves.

I like the bead on the foot, it seperates the vase from the foot.

Bob Bergstrom
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
The curve leading into the foot should be continuous through the bottom and come up the other side. Right now it follows a curve into the chuck. Tuck the curve in a little more and you will be there. If you put a straight edge at the apex of the lower curve it should line up with where the diameter of the foot should be. Look on the front of Craft Supply Catalog and you will see some good examples.

Wally Dickerman
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I think that the ogee form is very good. I do feel that the foot is too wide. A suggestion...A dovetail foot goes very well with this form. It allows the very nice curve to continue further and still have a foot that doesn't appear to be too small for the form. If you do choose to use a dovetail shaped foot, it should be a bit taller than the foot you've shown.

Wally

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Bob, good suggestions on the CSUSA pic!! What about this?

Wally Dickerman
02-19-2010, 1:05 PM
Bob, good suggestions on the CSUSA pic!! What about this?

That's it! Now, if you make the foot just a little taller, allowing that curve to come in just a little further......

Wally

bob svoboda
02-19-2010, 1:09 PM
I think it has all pretty much been said. Whichever way you decide to go, it is going to be a knock-out piece. Beautiful piece of wood.

John Keeton
02-19-2010, 1:11 PM
Let me just say, that adding wood with Photoshop is so much easier than in the real world!! Is this better?

Bob Bergstrom
02-19-2010, 2:14 PM
You got it. Great job. Love the look and the stunning wood.

Thom Sturgill
02-19-2010, 3:32 PM
I'd leave the bead off this one, unless the whole foot was one bead. It has nice flowing lines and the bead just breaks the flow without quite enough mass to create a full stop.

Brian Effinger
02-19-2010, 5:05 PM
Let me just say, that adding wood with Photoshop is so much easier than in the real world!! Is this better?
I think you have it. :) My original thought was to lose the foot, but I think that looks better. Who knew that photoshop was a woodturning accessory? :D

Brian