PDA

View Full Version : Turner's storage

Fred Perreault
02-18-2010, 9:27 PM
I have over time noticed that either I have aquired too many turning tools and accessories, or I have too few drawers. I mean, all the flat surfaces available were covered with dust, tools, turnings, sandpaper and "stuff". So I spent some time the past few weeks putting together a 12 drawer rolling cabinet to be right behind me while I am at the lathe. I don't have a lot of wall space so I put the chisels in the drawers. The top is some curly, or flame red oak I got somwhere in the past. The drawer fronts are red birch, the frame is red oak from my property and the beveled edge sides are of red maple from my property. I routed some maple stock for the drawer pull brackets, then put a shallow cut in the bracket to recieve the dowel puls. A little glue and a brad, and I was on the road. It was hard to focus on the cabinet and still get all the spinning done that I like. However, the only new items I purchased were the drawer slides, as all the wheels and wood were hanging around, collecting dust.

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 9:51 PM
Very well done, Fred!!! Wonderful style, and lots of storage. Really neat that you are able to harvest all that wood from your place. The one time I was on the Cape, I failed to notice much in the way of hardwood. But, I honestly wasn't looking for that - too much other neat sights to see!

Like your shop, too!

Pete Jordan
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
That is simply beautiful,Fred!

David E Keller
02-18-2010, 11:59 PM
That's a beautiful storage cabinet. Very nice attention to detail. Certainly a more attractive and economical alternative to the Mac Tool cabinet I was drooling over yesterday.

Baxter Smith
02-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Great job on the cabinet. Functional as well as very good looking.

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2010, 12:28 AM
That is a beauty Fred. Really well done.

Brian Brown
02-19-2010, 12:43 AM
That's just sick!
Something that beautiful hidden in the shop. Actually, it's very nice and looks very functional.

gary Zimmel
02-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Well done Fred.
Furniture for the shop, I love it...

Richard Madison
02-19-2010, 1:37 AM
Nice work Fred, but it is so (UGH!) flat.

Jeff Nicol
02-19-2010, 5:50 AM
Fred, the first thing I see is that I need to have a shop like yours! It looks very nice with great lighting and a beautiful floor! The tool chest is a perfect fit for all your goodies, I need to do some reworking of my tool storage, but time won't let me get much done.

Again very nice,

Jeff

Donny Lawson
02-19-2010, 7:11 AM
Nice cabinet,now if you can only find enough wood to build us all one.:D
Donny

Bill Bulloch
02-19-2010, 8:45 AM
I have the same problem that you have with limited space in my shop. As such, I have been thinking about building draws under my work-up-table to store my turning "accumulations". Those photos of your fine looking cabanet will surely be a motivating factor in getting me going toward that end. Thanks.

Matt Newton
02-19-2010, 9:23 AM
That is a most beautiful cabinet. Way too organized for me.:D Did you replace the legs on your Nova for a reason? I have the same set up as you (not as neat), and am always looking for was to improve.

Rob Cunningham
02-19-2010, 9:26 AM
Great looking cabinet Fred and a nice looking shop from what I can see. Love the wood floor, it's so much nicer than my hard concrete floor.

Fred Perreault
02-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Matt..... I love the Nova, but I thought that the original "hybrid" legs were a shortcoming. There was vibration, shaking and of course, the legs had the small diameter bolts attaching the foot pads, and the rubber pads only added to the overall movement. Just not as stable and heavy enough. I was inspired by what I saw another Creek member, name of Alan Trout, do for his lathe. He built his own stand. So, having been in the heavy construction business for decades, I found the necassary 4" angle iron, and fabricated my own heavy stand. I painted it with "hammer finish" gray. The front members are welded solid, and joined with the side members by bolts. That way I was able to handle all the pieces by myself. According to the weight charts for the steel I used, it weighs more than 360 pounds. And then I anchored it to my wood floor.
If you are ever this way, drop in....
Fred

Tim McClelland
02-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Some of you guys amaze me with how neat and cleran your shops are. I can spend a few hours cleaning up and organizing and then one tiny little project and it is chaos again:(. Great job on a great looking shop.:)

Lori Kleinberg
02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Very nicely done. I may have to steal the design one of these days.