PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a 15" budget planner

Jack Gaskins
02-18-2010, 9:15 PM
Is there a 15" or bigger value planner that is better than the DeWalt 735 but not costing and arm and a leg? Something that can handle hardwoods at a faster rate than a benchtop planer?

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 9:32 PM
Is there a 15" or bigger value planner that is better than the DeWalt 735 but not costing and arm and a leg? Something that can handle hardwoods at a faster rate than a benchtop planer?

The Griz 453 is a very good planer for about 1140 shipped. There are a few out there cheaper but I don't think I would test the waters on them given the quality of the Grizzly for the price.

Paul Ryan
02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Jack,

You are unfortunatly about 2 months 2 late. In dec. of last year you could have got the grizzly G0453 for $750 shipped. I think if you watch and are patient they may go on sale again. Not for that price again until maybe next christmas. The front page of wood magaizine has grizzly's lates deals. Nothing real good right now, but a new mag should be comming soon. Cross your fingers.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2010, 7:51 AM
Watch craigslist. I see larger planers out there in the 6oo-700 range often.

Matt Meiser
02-19-2010, 8:18 AM
If you are really on a budget, no-name versions of the 15" planer everyone imports show up on CL from time to time as low as $300. If something ever broke you'd have to do some digging in the Grizzly/Jet/Delta parts lists to find what you need. But I don't really recall seeing any posts about fixing these planers, other than gearbox leaks they all seem to have.

Jeff Miller
02-19-2010, 8:43 AM
I got this on Craigs List for $500.00,just be patient :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/GRIZZLY/Harley060.jpghttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/GRIZZLY/Harley060.jpg?t=1266583949

JEFF:D

Mike Cruz
02-19-2010, 8:48 AM
Too bad you aren't closer to me. I think I'm going to be selling my 15" planer very soon. Nothing wrong with it, just looking to upgrade to a 20".

Rod Sheridan
02-19-2010, 9:21 AM
Too bad you aren't closer to me. I think I'm going to be selling my 15" planer very soon. Nothing wrong with it, just looking to upgrade to a 20".

Hi Mike, it shouldn't be that expensive to put your planer on a pallet and ship it would it?

Regards, Rod.

Mike Cruz
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Not sure if that is a serious question... never done it. Jack if you have any interest, PM me. I really have no idea what is involved in shipping something of this weight.

Paul Ryan
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Jack

As others have said, craigslist is the best for finding something decent for a deal. But you have to be patient. Most tools around here sell for outragously high prices. We all have stories. I have been watching craigslist for over 2 years and hadn't got in on one deal until recently. A couple of weeks ago I came across a great deal on a 15" powermatic planer, and got the call in about 2 minutes before the next guy.

Install snafer and set it up to seach craigslist for different things. My snafer searches for about 2 dozen items.

Jack Gaskins
02-19-2010, 7:23 PM
Jack

As others have said, craigslist is the best for finding something decent for a deal. But you have to be patient. Most tools around here sell for outragously high prices. We all have stories. I have been watching craigslist for over 2 years and hadn't got in on one deal until recently. A couple of weeks ago I came across a great deal on a 15" powermatic planer, and got the call in about 2 minutes before the next guy.

Install snafer and set it up to seach craigslist for different things. My snafer searches for about 2 dozen items.

Thanks i will try the snafer thing and see how it works. I have seen a couple of Dewalt 735s around the tristate areas but since I am not in a hurry I will keep looking. I think my best bet is just to get a Rigid 4330 since I am not going to be using it for anything other than smallish boards anyway and then when I need to upgrade I will probably come across a good craigslist deal,,,,,,,,,,unless I hit one before I get the Rigid.

Richard Andersen
02-20-2010, 3:30 AM
Jack

What is snafer and how do I get it?

phil harold
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
What is snafer and how do I get it?

google is your friend

download.cnet.com/Snarfer/3000-2164_4-10478092.html