PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly bandsaw?

Fred Perreault
02-18-2010, 8:48 PM
I have had a Delta 14" bandsaw for 15 years, but I just sprung for a Rikon 10-325. It is a very good saw after setup, for the price. I presume that $500-$1000 more gets a better machined, more precise unit. In any event, it seems that most of the bandsaws that I have seen over the years are somewhat wobbly. I imagine it is inherent in the tall shape, high center of gravity and small footprint of a bandsaw. And when they are on a wheeled base, they seem so much more flimsy. Maybe I have just seen the worst of them. I am lucky enough to have a large enough shop that I can locate my bandsaw in a permanent spot. So, I got some 3/16" threaded rod, two small turnbuckles and two lag type wall anchors. I cut a short section of 2"x2" angle iron, drilled 4 holes and attached the angle bracket to the top rear of the Rikon 10-325. I screwed the anchors into the wall, bent a hook on the ends of the threaded rod, attached it to the turnbuckles and then hooked the turnbuckles into the 2 holes I put in the angle iron. This has created an incredibly solid, stable, vibration free bandsaw setup.
Am I crazy?

michael case
02-18-2010, 8:53 PM
Whats crazy about a stable machine? Good job!

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 9:56 PM
Nothing crazy about safety!

One thing to consider about an $800 saw is that the low end of 14" band saw price is about $450 and 99% of the extra $350 you spent is on features not really increased overall quality. The manufacturers just sell more saws with bells and whistles than pure quality. Unfortunately, the point where all the bells and whistles are there and you start seeing more overall quality is north of $1,000 in the 14" saw range. Not saying sub $1k BS can't be excellent but they do take more tuning (and this case anchoring) to be really good at their job. To see what the extra cash will get you take a look at something like the Laguna LT14 SEL.

James Combs
02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Crazy like a fox maybe.:) I have done pretty much the same thing for my new Rikon 10-305 except that it was a wood brace from the wall attached to the supporting stand. I will be getting the 10-325 in a couple of weeks and I will probably do the same to it except now I will probably use your idea, thanks.;)

This has created an incredibly solid, stable, vibration free bandsaw setup.
Am I crazy?