PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bandsaw questions

Jack Gaskins
02-18-2010, 7:52 PM
I have a Grizzly 1hp bandsaw with 2 speeds

1. What speed do you normaly run yours at? 1500 or 3000,,,,
2. What size blade for resawing small boards around 4-6 inches wide by 1 inch thick into 1/2" and less. I need thin boards for laminating together with different colors so I plan on purchasing a DeWalt planer soon but need my bandsaw set up to resaw boards then run them through the planer.

Dave Sweeney
02-18-2010, 8:05 PM
Run the higher speed for wood. As for resawing on your saw, I'd recommend a ½" x 3 or 4 TPI hook tooth blade. I happen to prefer the Lenox line of blades.

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 8:06 PM
I have a Grizzly 1hp bandsaw with 2 speeds

1. What speed do you normaly run yours at? 1500 or 3000,,,,
2. What size blade for resawing small boards around 4-6 inches wide by 1 inch thick into 1/2" and less. I need thin boards for laminating together with different colors so I plan on purchasing a DeWalt planer soon but need my bandsaw set up to resaw boards then run them through the planer.

1. I would run at 3000 sfpm
2. Then use the 1/2" woodslicer from Highland I would prefer a wider blade for resawing but your saw won't be able to properly tension a 3/4" blade

Tom Veatch
02-18-2010, 8:06 PM
Somewhere around 3000 fpm is pretty standard for wood. The slower speed is more appropriate for metal.

For blade size, cutting through the 1" dimension, I'd suggest a blade that's no finer than about 6 TPI. A 3 TPI resaw blade is a little coarse for the 1" dimension. If you're talking about resaw through the 4-6" dimension, around 3 TPI is pretty standard.

As far as blade width is concerned, "conventional wisdom" states as wide as your saw can tension, but if your saw is reasonably well tuned, a 1/2" wide blade will do a fine job. I particularly like the 1/2" WoodSlicer from Highland, and the Suffolk Machinery Timberwolf blades are right up there, too.

You might give Suffolk a call. Their advice has been given very freely and has been quite helpful to me.

Jack Gaskins
02-18-2010, 8:45 PM
Somewhere around 3000 fpm is pretty standard for wood. The slower speed is more appropriate for metal.

For blade size, cutting through the 1" dimension, I'd suggest a blade that's no finer than about 6 TPI. A 3 TPI resaw blade is a little coarse for the 1" dimension. If you're talking about resaw through the 4-6" dimension, around 3 TPI is pretty standard.

As far as blade width is concerned, "conventional wisdom" states as wide as your saw can tension, but if your saw is reasonably well tuned, a 1/2" wide blade will do a fine job. I particularly like the 1/2" WoodSlicer from Highland, and the Suffolk Machinery Timberwolf blades are right up there, too.

You might give Suffolk a call. Their advice has been given very freely and has been quite helpful to me.

I have a Timberwolf 3/8th 4TPI blade on there I was thinking of going up to a 1/2". My band saw is the Grizzly 14" G0555. I was trying to tension the blade last week but it just would not get tension. I think my spring is to compressed?? The saw is 7 years old and I always left the tension on it so I am guessing it is time for a new spring?

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 9:40 PM
I have a Timberwolf 3/8th 4TPI blade on there I was thinking of going up to a 1/2". My band saw is the Grizzly 14" G0555. I was trying to tension the blade last week but it just would not get tension. I think my spring is to compressed?? The saw is 7 years old and I always left the tension on it so I am guessing it is time for a new spring?

Yep, time for a new spring and change your habits. Tension is bad for the saw and blade. I like the Timberwolf blades but for resawing on a smaller saw the Woodslicer is THE blade and at $30 it is very resonable. You might also have some issues with the belts having flat spots as well.

Jack Gaskins
02-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Yep, time for a new spring and change your habits. Tension is bad for the saw and blade. I like the Timberwolf blades but for resawing on a smaller saw the Woodslicer is THE blade and at $30 it is very resonable. You might also have some issues with the belts having flat spots as well.

Who sells the woodslicer? As for the tires, I installed the orange ones from Woodcraft last year so I think those are still in good condition.

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Who sells the woodslicer? As for the tires, I installed the orange ones from Woodcraft last year so I think those are still in good condition.

Highland:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades705to137.aspx

If you are ever around Atlanta try to make a trip to Highland, a very cool woodworking store.

Jack Gaskins
02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Highland:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades705to137.aspx

If you are ever around Atlanta try to make a trip to Highland, a very cool woodworking store.

Thanks. Any particular replacement spring I should get?

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks. Any particular replacement spring I should get?

Dunno what Griz charges for an OEM one but I would get a Carter Cobra Coil spring, about $20 and it is a good upgrade for any of the 14" cast saws.

I should point out that there are some that will argue that the springs don't go bad and they probably don't if they stay in the elastic range but there are myriad other issues at work.

In the end the Carter is a better spring so even if you don't need it, the Cobra is an upgrade.

Kent A Bathurst
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
FYI - dunno if this is the correct size for you, but Cobra Coil is a few bucks off here:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=8860

John Powers
02-19-2010, 3:24 PM
someone here recently recommended the Woodslicer to me. I just mounted and tried a 1/2 inch 3/4 tpi and it is great. it cuts effortlessly, pretty clean cut but the tracking is much improved. I may not need a bigger motor.

Jack Gaskins
02-19-2010, 7:19 PM
FYI - dunno if this is the correct size for you, but Cobra Coil is a few bucks off here:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=8860

Yeah, I noticed that on their website and swung by there after work to get one. Now just need to order a couple of the woodslicer blades.