PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Deciding

Carl Eyman
10-28-2004, 12:44 PM
After so many of you made such flattering comments about the clock, I need your help. I sense my son and DIL for whom I'm building it don't like the Finial that was in the plans. (First picture) So I tried a practice flame finial (no 2 picture) I did not have a piece of walnut big enough; so you'll see the laminations I added. Of course, I'd find a piece big enough to do the final model. In your comments please remark on size, shape, or anything else you think important. Of course, considering the momentous events of the last 24 hours, maybe # 3 is appropriate.

David Wilson
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Carl
I like #2 better. I have a large slab of walnut that was given to me by a friend. If you PM me with the dimensions of the piece you need I would be happy to cut off a piece and send it to you.

Jerry Olexa
10-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Carl, I love #3. See my comments on the victory in Off Topic forum:)

Dave Anderson NH
10-28-2004, 1:12 PM
I'm sorry to say that with the possible exception of #3, I'm not real fond of them. The first one strikes me as too "mechanical" looking and the second is a bit too conical and regular for my taste. Maybe it's time to take a look through the cartouches and finials on the secretarys and high chests on the SAPFM website. Do you have any of the Winterthur books or Sack's The New Fine Points of Furniture- Early American? Mabe some of the SAPFM member links might offer some suggestions too. I think that with your carving skills almost nothing is outside of the realm of possibility. you've proven yor abilities on the chairs and the other claw and ball feet you've done.

larry merlau
10-28-2004, 1:21 PM
karl i am not in the catagory to judge anythng but my opinion is to make outa of the same wood as the rest and the top one is to plain in relationship to the rest of your clock. i feel mr anderson is heading you in the right direction and the offer of some bigger walnut would be a good idea too. just a beginners opinion :)