PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova Chuck

Paul Ray Moore
02-18-2010, 5:57 PM
I have a Super Nova Chuck and was wondering if anyone knows if you can buy replacment jaw slides for it. I think I have bent them and they won't travel without a lot of difficulty.
I searched crafts supply but didn't see any.
Thanks,
Paul

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 6:22 PM
Paul, I would think that Teknatool would sell you just the jaw slides. They come as a set of four. Check this link (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Super_Nova/downloads/SuperNova%20Exploded%20Drawing.pdf).

Bob Haverstock
02-18-2010, 6:36 PM
I have a Super Nova Chuck and was wondering if anyone knows if you can buy replacment jaw slides for it. I think I have bent them and they won't travel without a lot of difficulty.
I searched crafts supply but didn't see any.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

Have tried to disassemble it? If you are lucky, it just needs a cleaning.
I have much more experience with scroll chucks for metal lathes. They do get full of crud and have to be torn down and cleaned. BTW, keep the jaw slides in sequence.

Bob

Paul Ray Moore
02-18-2010, 6:56 PM
John,
Thanks I'll give them a call if I can't fix it tonight. I'm really worried about what they will cost. I bought the chuck used, aobut $90, and it worked fine but I think I did something to it.

Bob,
I'm going to try and take it apart tonight when I get home. Keep your fingers crossed.

Joshua Dinerstein
02-18-2010, 7:03 PM
Paul,

I had a chuck that behaved so poorly I thought it was destroyed at the gears on the inside. I bought some PB BLaster from the local AutoZone and hit it with it. Within seconds of spraying and then manipulating it it was working like it had when it was new. I then went about a year without any trouble and then overnight I found it was doing it again.

I finally tracked it down to the type of wood i was turning. I was getting pitch/sap/something coming off and out and the end result was that it built up gunked it to the point where it was basically impossible to use. I kept it clean and lubricated with the spray penetrating oil and haven't had a lick of trouble since. (It was an open backed PSI Barracuda 2 chuck.)

If lubricating it the way that I did works then disassembling it might not be necessary for you. If not then will probably have too.

Just an alternative idea for you to try.

Joshua

Bob Easton
02-18-2010, 7:05 PM
I don't have that chuck, but I have noticed on many metal working chucks that the jaws have numbers stamped into them. Look for those numbers, and if the jaws don't have them, mark them in some way to assure correct reassembly sequence. It really DOES matter.

Gordon Seto
02-18-2010, 7:44 PM
The greatest thing about Nova chucks is all their jaws (except the Power Jaw for Titan chuck) are compatible with all Nova chucks (except Compac line) old and current.

Try Woodcraft.

Ryan Baker
02-18-2010, 7:51 PM
I doubt the problem is with the slides. The jaws would get trashed long before you could ever bend them, and there really isn't anywhere for them to move other than getting extended out too far. Much more likely they are just gummed up or jambed with something. As mentioned, take it apart, clean it out, and get it lubed up when you put it together. Yes, make sure to keep the slides in the right numbered positions. If that still doesn't work ,you can try getting the slides from Teknatool ... the shipping will probably be a lot higher than the part cost.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-18-2010, 8:01 PM
I'd go with the PB blaster or WD-40 first. That's cheap, fast and works. I'd clean off the lube and use a dry teflon though. IMO any oil will attract dust. And dust may very well be your problem. As Ryan said, probably not your sliders. If your chuck jaws closes nice and tight, your jaws are probably installed properly.

Mark Hubl
02-18-2010, 8:04 PM
Here is a link to a you tube video. Ernie goes through a Nova chuck showing how it works. Could be useful for taking apart your chuck and cleaning it. Also, what has been said about numbers on the jaws is important. Jaw number should match the slide number. On some of my older Nova jaws I have punched dimples instead of numbers, i.e. one punch=1, two punches=2, etc..

Here is the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwxeJn3K4CM

If you do need parts you can contact Teknatool U.S. rep - Tim Geist (tvgeistmfg@aol.com). He is out of West Virginia.

Gordon Seto
02-18-2010, 8:09 PM
BTW, the SN is an open back chuck. Try soaking it in kerosene or mineral spirit and see whether your problem goes away before taking it apart.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-18-2010, 9:03 PM
BTW, the SN is an open back chuck. Try soaking it in kerosene or mineral spirit and see whether your problem goes away before taking it apart.

Mine is closed.

If it is open, then the first thing to do is to blow it out with air and see if that dislodges any large amounts of dust and....

Gordon Seto
02-18-2010, 9:12 PM
Mine is closed.

SN2 is closed; the original SN is open.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-19-2010, 2:20 AM
Ah, wrong again.... LOL I do have a SN2.

Matt Newton
02-19-2010, 9:38 AM
Ray, The person to talk to is Tim Geist. (304) 295-8166. He is the North American rep for Teknatool. I had a problem with the gear stripping out where you put in the hex key. I spoke to him and he sent me two replacement pieces at no charge. He also walked me through the replacement process. Very pleasent to deal with. Definitely a go to guy.

Paul Ray Moore
02-19-2010, 9:49 AM
I got home last night and began to take it apart. After buying a wrench to take off the snap ring I banged it on a piece of wood to get the gear out. Once that fell out one of the slides fell out but the other three were stuck. I was turning the outside of a winged bowl and just using pressure from the tail stock to hold the piece against the jaw facings. It seems I bent the slides so that they got stuck. I banged them out and used a file to get them to slide without binding. I cleaned everything and put it back together and it works now. Next time I'll rough it out between centers instead of doing it against the jaws.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Roger Chandler
02-19-2010, 7:23 PM
I changed the slides on my SuperNova chuck last year when I saw that I had burrs developing in the mechanism. It was catching some, but I caught it in time. I ordered from the Teknatool rep there in Parkersburg, WVa.

He was very helpful, and you can get the instructions on replacement on their website. Follow the sequence exactly, because it does matter, and match up the numbers on the slide in the correct positions, as well as the rotation of the scroll.