PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sandblasting

Mark Burge
02-18-2010, 5:24 PM
I want to try sandblasting on some of my turnings. Has anybody here done that? I see it every now and again as a finish technique on the AAW site, but I haven't found any information on what blasting media is used or what grit does what to the wood. Any info would be appreciated. Also, where do you get the media? Thanks in advance.

Doug W Swanson
02-18-2010, 6:00 PM
I haven't sandblasted any of my turnings but I have a small sand blasting cabinet that I have used for cleaning car parts, etching mugs and making a wood sign.

My set up works pretty well but my compressor is too small.

I've got a 5hp/33 gallon unit and I would recommend you have at least a 60 gallon. The 33gal will do the job but it will run constantly on larger items.

One of these days I'm going to upgrade my compressor but there are many things that need upgrading first (new table saw, exhaust for my 69 Fairlane, etc)

Hope this helps....

Doug

Dave Ogren
02-18-2010, 6:33 PM
Mark,
I use to do a lot of blasting in my shop. Had a cabinet about 3' wide by about 30" deep and about 2'++ tall with a vacuum dust removal system. Typical that you would see in a shop.
I have never blasted a turning.
The big deal is air, I used a 5 or 7 1/2 HP, 2 stage compressor with a 120 gallon tank at 150 PSI, and I want to tell you it ran hard.
Now I have a small portable siphon unit for car parts.
The media is sand, glass beads, nut shells from peanuts and walnuts and on and on. We have blasted with steel media of all shapes. We have even used baking soda. Sand is a one time use even at a low 30 PSI it breaks up. Glass beads you run fairly low pressure and they are re-usable. Every thing and air pressure gives you a different texture.

Something to consider is .....I have seen turners texture with an air driven de-scaling tool. Looked good, went fast and didn't use much air. I think HF sells them.

Good Luck,

Dave

charlie knighton
02-18-2010, 7:12 PM
i have not done any sandblasting, but the ones that i like are from woods that have noticable summer and winter growth rings, such as ash

Mark Burge
02-19-2010, 4:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have a 60gal compressor, so I'm probably good on the air. It sounds like I may be experimenting somewhat on wood/media combinations. I'll try to keep track of what I try and report back to y'all.

Jim Silva
02-19-2010, 4:40 PM
I've asked this same question about choice of media before to a resounding silence.:rolleyes:

I'd be very interested to hear the results of your SB media experiments. I had an idea for sandblasting a piece then re-turning so I'm looking into nut shells that would be slightly more tool-friendly but I've yet to hear from anyone who's used them for this purpose.

Good luck
J.

Darryl Hazen
02-19-2010, 6:09 PM
Mark,

Do a Google search for Sand Carving. There's a forum (Cutting Edge) that has info on sand carving wooden signs. One of the women on the forum has done redwood signs. You may find the info you seek there.