PDA

View Full Version : Wooden bowls with polymer clay inlay?

Brad Vaughn
02-18-2010, 4:11 PM
I have been reading about using polymer clay for pen blanks and was thinking how would it work for inlays in bowls. I bet some one on the forum and done it. I am thinking that one would need to use a heavy duty heat gun for drying the clay and not the oven as that might crack a bowl. Anyway anyone done it?
Brad

curtis rosche
02-18-2010, 4:14 PM
i dont think it would work, the clay would contract when it is dryied, and it would fall out of place. also, depending on the wood, you could put it in the oven just not for to many hours

Paul Atkins
02-18-2010, 5:03 PM
I'd think you would cure it first and then turn it to go into a recess.

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2010, 5:06 PM
Wood movement would have to be a major consideration when mixing these medias. As long as you allow for expansion/contraction with your design - no reason why is shouldn't work!

Richard Madison
02-18-2010, 8:12 PM
The folks on "craft" shows usually bake their polymer clay at 275 degrees for 15 to 30 minutes. Good point about wood movement. Seems like this could be a problem.

Curt Fuller
02-18-2010, 9:02 PM
I've never used it as solid inlay, but I have baked it, crushed it, and used it as faux turquoise set in epoxy. You can definitely tell it isn't real turquoise but it still looks pretty good and it's a heck of a lot easier on your gouges. I agree with the others though that shrinkage and wood movement would make it hard to use any other way.

Dave Ogren
02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Brad,

People in the pottery business have special rulers for measuring their products before firing. They plan on 12% shrinkage. And this will vary depending on the exact mix or formula of the clay.

Good Luck,

Dave