PDA

View Full Version : New LN DT chisels

Jim Barrett
02-18-2010, 2:41 PM
Been a few weeks since I received my replacement set of LN chisels...went to work and using Rob Cosman's methods took the backs all the way up to 30k using my Shapton glass stones. Used Rob's sharpening technique and went to work on some through dovetails. Finally feel good about doing DT's...it has taken me a while but...pretty happy with my results. I typically can cut pretty straight using my DT saw but had a heck of a time "bruising" the line using my chisels. Learned to sneak up on it and have had much better results. Of course having some good sharp chisels really helps!
I also picked up Rob's new DVD on chisels. It is very informative and has a wealth of information on it. Take a look at it on his web site.

Jim

Gary Benson
02-18-2010, 2:53 PM
Looking good Jim. Very artistic picture as well.

Don't let him fool you guys, Jim is very good with the saw. Glad to see you are now happy with your chisels. One of the most valuable things I learned last summer in Calgary (among the thousands) was to overcut both pins and tails just slightly to the backside. Stop right at the gauge line on the front, then the corners are cleared out without having to chisel into the corner (thereby risking the bruising). I have also found that I like a 1/8 inch Blue Spruce chisel with the very thin side profile for those tight clean outs when needed.

Keep up the good work.

Gary

gary Zimmel
02-18-2010, 3:49 PM
You got to love a great set of dovetails...
Very nice work Jim.

And great setup for the pic..

Bruce Page
02-18-2010, 3:54 PM
Nice dovetails!
I agree about the picture construction. Maybe you could sell it to Cosman. :)

Mike Brady
02-18-2010, 4:00 PM
D-tails are looking very nice, Jim. You should take the credit, because its a lot more you than it is the chisels.
I thought you might comment on the replacement chisels. Do you feel they are substantially better than the originals, or do you think that your sharpening, like your dovetail cutting, has just improved that much?

Jim Barrett
02-18-2010, 4:06 PM
Mike, thanks!....probably a little of both. I can definitely tell the new chisels I have from LN are holding their edge much better. Before I would take one or two whacks with my mallet and the edge would break down. That was in some relatively soft western maple. The chisels are standing up to my mallet much better..

Jim

D-tails are looking very nice, Jim. You should take the credit, because its a lot more you than it is the chisels.
I thought you might comment on the replacement chisels. Do you feel they are substantially better than the originals, or do you think that your sharpening, like your dovetail cutting, has just improved that much?

Terry Beadle
02-18-2010, 4:37 PM
+1 on great DoveTails.

Looks like perfection to me!

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 4:49 PM
Jim, excellent work on the DTs and glad the chisel situation got resolved satisfactorily. Nice pic!! Agree on getting it to Rob with a testimonial.

I have also found that I like a 1/8 inch Blue Spruce chisel with the very thin side profile for those tight clean outs when needed. GaryGary, that is exactly what I use for those tight cuts - hard to beat.

John A. Callaway
02-18-2010, 5:20 PM
You have convinced me. I am gonna order Rob Cosman's book and DVD.... now, should I just get the first video with the shop copy book or should I spring and get the " Dovetail Degree " series from woodcraft

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080273/28377/Rob-Cosman-s-Dovetail-Degree-Kit.aspx

Is it worth spending the 90 bucks, or will the first DVD and book get me going good enough... ?

I am doing okay on my own, and I have several books that touch on cutting DTs but nothing specifically on them alone....

Josh Rudolph
02-18-2010, 7:05 PM
John,

I have just the first video and really wish I would have gotten the degree. I say go for the degree up front. Rob teaches great in my opinion. I hope to one day attend a class of his. That will be in the distant future for now though.

Josh

Martin Shupe
02-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice DT's Jim.

Can I ask what slope angle you are using?

It does not look like 1:8.

Maybe 1:6?

1:7?

Jim Barrett
02-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Martin,
Think I used 1:6 and 1:7 on them...actually I have done Dt's in 1:4 thru 1:8. I know Rob likes to use 1:7 and Lonnie Bird uses 1:4...I guess whatever "floats your boat". What I did figure out is that you want your pins vs your tails to be at least a 1:4 size ratio otherwise they look like box joints. For clarification... if the narrowest part of the pin is !/4" the tail should be 1".

Jim

Jim Barrett
02-19-2010, 12:13 AM
John,
I would buy Rob's series on DT's...he is an excellent instructor and you will gain quite a bit of information watching his videos.
I would get some poplar to practice on. Pine is a bit too soft for practicing your skills. Good DT's are very doable...it just takes practice. Some folks can knock em out first time....for me....practice, practice, practice.

Jim

John A. Callaway
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I am in Jacksonville today. After I get some sleep ( worked all night ) , I am going to call the woodcraft here and see if they have it in stock, if so ....off I go ... If not I will order it . Thanks for the input guys. His videos on youtube seem pretty good, and I like the idea of having the manual to go with it.