PDA

View Full Version : so , ummm the girl in the brown uniform

Keith Christopher
10-28-2004, 12:10 PM
stopped in a little while ago. :)

Ted Shrader
10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Keith -

You gotta love the rumble of the brown truck and the squeal of the brakes as it stops in front of your place. :D :) ;)

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
10-28-2004, 12:27 PM
You gotta love the rumble of the brown truck and the squeal of the brakes as it stops in front of your place.
Even better, I've rearranged how I park so that the big brown truck has plenty of room to turn around in our driveway area for safety since the visits are sometimes daily...thanks to both Dr. SWMBO and I :D Gotta keep Brown happy!!! (and alive...)

Congrats on the new toy, Keith!

Jerry Olexa
10-28-2004, 12:57 PM
You know you might be a WW if,,,,

Jim Fancher
10-28-2004, 1:10 PM
Give us some details on your fence. :D

Brown visited my house this week too. Woohoo!

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 1:26 PM
Congratulation on the Jointech. I've enjoyed mine about 7 years now.

larry merlau
10-28-2004, 1:31 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Even better, I've rearranged how I park so that the big brown truck has plenty of room to turn around in our driveway area for safety since the visits are sometimes daily...thanks to both Dr. SWMBO and I :D Gotta keep Brown happy!!! (and alive...)

thats agood one mr jim :D even made this orny old man laugh out loud. :D :D

Chris Padilla
10-28-2004, 1:34 PM
Keith,

Did you look at Incra's stuff, too? What in your eyes leaned you Jointech's direction? I have a lot of Incra stuff but I'm open minded! :)

Michael Stafford
10-28-2004, 2:05 PM
Santa wears brown...

John Miliunas
10-28-2004, 2:13 PM
"Brown" strikes again! :) Congrats Keith. I love my Jointech Smart Miter and can only assume the fence you have there is built to the same exacting specs! Enjoy! :cool:

Dan Gill
10-28-2004, 2:47 PM
Great delivery! A few years back my retriever Paco got out the front door once while the big brown truck driver was in the back getting my package. He just climbed right up in the cab and made himself at home. He was ready for a ride! Gave the driver a fright when he came out of the back. (Paco was about 115 pounds.)

Keith Christopher
10-28-2004, 3:40 PM
Keith,

Did you look at Incra's stuff, too? What in your eyes leaned you Jointech's direction? I have a lot of Incra stuff but I'm open minded! :)

chris,

I know this will sound dumb, but I seemed like the Jointech was much simpler to operate. I was looking at the twin linear (which I really liked) but the jointech just seemed better for me as most of my router table requirements are for a solid square fence. The thing that disturbs me most about these sysetm (incra and jointech) is they seem to focus on people making boxes and dovetails. I find myself doing more rabbets, channels, beads and coves on the router table. Not so many boxes or need for small dovetails. That and I got it at an excellent price.

Keith

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 4:01 PM
I looked at both. I liked the all metal lead screw vs. the plastic in the Incra. The center finder was a big plus. I also liked the overall look.

Now the real reason. I had drooled over the Jointech for a couple of years, watched a few demos by different guys. But one Saturday on a fathers day weekend, I went to a woodworking show here in Knoxville (rare place to find one). I had aranged to meet my LOML later to also go to an antique show. I was watching the demo when she called on my cell phone and asked me what I was doing and how long I would be. I said that I was watching a tool demo on something I was thinking about. She said "hurry up and buy it and meet me in 30 minutes". I did and have never been sorry. When asked how much did it cost, I looked her straight in the eye and said "I saved $150." :D

Chris Padilla
10-28-2004, 4:05 PM
Hal,

Could you expound on the metal lead screw? I'm trying to picture where on my Twin Linear fence system a plastic screw resides. It could well be there...I just don't remember.

Keith,

No reason is dumb...if it works for you, that is all that matters. John Lucas over at woodshopdemos got me hooked on Incra. I never even knew Jointech existed until a while later (after I bought a buncha Incra stuff). In fact, I can "blame" Mr. Lucas for a lot of stuff I have! :)

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 4:23 PM
Chris it's been 6 years, but here goes. From what I recall the Incra precision mechanism had 2 plastic "thingies" (technical woodworking term for mechanical things) that were about 4 inches long and maybe 3/4 inch wide and 3/16th thick that had threads molded in them. (Picture some warm wax about the size described above and picture what it would look like if you pressed a threaded rod down into it 1/6 - 1/8th inch.) These were considered wear items. I didn't buy the Incra, so I dont really understand how they fit the lead screw and where, but I think they are in the housing or near where the lock down handle is.

The Jointech use a precision ground lead screw and a bronze split-nut to position and eliminate backlash.

I can't find this in writing now, but I think that one time there was a fence system called Incra/Jointech and there was a falling out of the designers. I know there was a suit over who had the patent on the lead screw that Incra came out with because jointech said it was their design. To me it was a preference thing and if you read my post, the timing was right.

Tom LaRussa
10-28-2004, 4:33 PM
stopped in a little while ago. :)
Did she leave anything besides that catalog? :confused:

Chris Padilla
10-28-2004, 4:54 PM
Hal,

Yes, the way the Incra gets is positional accuracy is the use of these plastic pieces that have 1/32" "notches" molded into them. These notches mate with the clamp which locks the fence into position and allows precise/repeatable 1/32" changes.

Jim Fancher
10-28-2004, 5:06 PM
When asked how much did it cost, I looked her straight in the eye and said "I saved $150." :D
So THAT'S how it's done!

Hal Flynt
10-28-2004, 5:06 PM
Chris, here's a picture of the Jointech. First attempt of attaching a picture.

I think the accessories from Incra fit on the Jointech smartfence and visa versa. Mostly T-slots. and a couple of dovetail slots.

JayStPeter
10-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Nice score on the fence. I like mine.

I sold an Incra Pro when I bought the Jointech. Like the others I like the leadscrew. But, the fact that it's metal instead of plastic isn't the reason. I've used Incra stuff plenty and have yet to see anything resembling wear and tear. Nope, what I like is that you can fine adjust through the full range of motion. The Incra Pro had around +/-0.5" of fine adjustment. If you messed up and forgot to recenter it when you moved the fence, you may wind up with no fine adjustment. I believe the newer model Incra fences use a leadscrew also.

Another thing that Jointech does nice is the anti-paralax cursor. For those times that you are doing joinery, paralax stinks. The concept is simple, they put a line on both sides of the plastic cursor. When you look through you align both cursor lines with the mark and you can't have paralax.

I also like the fence on the jointech. It has all the necessary features, but is a simple box with built in DC. Incra seemed to go through great pains to make their fences have as many parts as possible. In retrospect, the dovetail slot that seemed so nice at first makes it much more difficult to make jigs and holddowns.
The jointech is a good general purpose router table fence. You must go with the WonderFence or twin-linear to get the ability to spin door making bits with an Incra fence. I made lots of mods to my Incra fence to allow it to be used as a general purpose fence and have DC. But, it still wasn't ideal.

Jay

Jim Becker
10-29-2004, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Even better, I've rearranged how I park so that the big brown truck has plenty of room to turn around in our driveway area for safety since the visits are sometimes daily...thanks to both Dr. SWMBO and I :D Gotta keep Brown happy!!! (and alive...)

thats agood one mr jim :D even made this orny old man laugh out loud. :D :D
Yea, it's funny at first...but actually true! The regular brown person (it's a state of mind, not an ethnic thing...:D) knows he has enough room to pull in around the shop and back up next to the Tundra with plenty of clearance for a three-point turn. Only an occasional substitute driver parks on the road which is right off a blind curve...'hope their life insurance is paid up! We've had mixed luck with "other color" trucks learning the ropes as the drivers change frequently it seems.

david hines
10-29-2004, 8:39 PM
Hi all lurking as usual, but as a residential delivery driver for ups you have no idea how a turn around space in a driveway is appreciated.You wouldnt believe how many houses dont have any place to turn around and i am talking about houses 1/4 mile off the road.