PDA

View Full Version : Sawmills & Fords--part 2

Gary Max
10-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Well I made the trip without anything real interesting happening. This is always a good thing at this point in life. Betsy has almost 700 board foot of lumber on her in the pics. Just ate some lunch and it's off to stacking wood.
Gee ain't this going to be fun.:)

Greg Heppeard
10-28-2004, 5:28 PM
Looks like Betsy is still good at her job after all these years

thomas prevost
10-28-2004, 6:05 PM
nice stack of lumber also.:) looks klike hours of fun with both- the truck and making saw dust.

Clint deal
10-29-2004, 7:54 AM
What does it take to make that ole girl squat down? How much weight do you suppose is on there now?
Nice haul by the way.
Clint

Gary Max
10-29-2004, 8:01 AM
She's a true camper special---has a ton rear with a extra set of overload springs.
As far as hauling wood---Betsy will handle all you can stack on her.
Of course this is Cedar which makes a difference. She also does the firewood runs around here. She's getting old and ain't worth a lot of money any more but I would be hard pressed to find a truck to replace her with only 4 tires. You would be surprised at how many heads she turns.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-29-2004, 8:53 AM
Hey, another classic truck driver!!

What year is the truck? I have a '73 Cheyenne Super Camper Special 3/4ton with a 1 ton axle I drive daily. I call it "The Buffalo"...short for the Great White Buffalo.

Nothin' better than a good old truck IMHO.

Gary Max
10-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Kelly she is a 1970 Ford 3/4 ton camper special---360--C6 tranny. I looked yesterday she had 55,650 orginal miles on her.

Clint deal
10-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Gary, that thing is only getting broke in good. Mine has over 300k on the body and chassis. Alot of people are fixing up the older Fords now so original parts are getting harder to find but reprduction parts are getting easier. I did a partial backyard restoration on my 71 about 4 years ago and it's all I drive now. i have done some upgrades on it.
kelly, My father used to have a 72 Chevy like that. Camper special, overloads and a 350 under the hood. It would haul about anything also.
I love my old truck and have no plans to ever sell it or buy a new truck. The new trucks just don't do anything for me and at the cost of a small house surely can't afford one anyway. I don't see how people can afford a house payment plus a new truck and a new car in the driveway. I guess they just make a whole lot of money. lol\
Clint

Kelly C. Hanna
10-29-2004, 5:44 PM
Gary, you don't even have it warmed up yet as far as the miles go! That's great it has less than 60k on it! Should last you the rest of your life. That's a good motor and tranny combo. Mine has a 350 & TH-400 w/4.10 gears.

Clint...most folks who own those trucks are mortgaged and leveraged to the nines. Imagine that since you pay 2.5-3 times the list price when you pay out a truck or car that $35-40k truck has now become a $87,500-$120,000 truck!! Course no one pays them all the way out these days, they trade them quite regularly. Personally I not only can't afford it, I couldn't let myself pay that much for a truck.

I also like having something not many others have...I've never been one to run with the pack.

Clint deal
10-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Wow kelly, I had'nt thought about the total after all the finance charges. I agree also about having something nobody else does and not running with the pack. That's why I'll be driving my 71 until I die or Uncle Sam outlaws the dino burning beast.
It does feel good when the guy in the Honda tries to jump in front of me at the light when he knows the lane ends. He thinks the old man in the 30 year old truck is just gonna go poking down the road. lol I make them earn it
Clint

John Miliunas
10-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Dem is a LOT of boards there, Gary! 700 bd/ft should last you a week or two, hey?! :) :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Scary huh? I'm with you..the newest thing in our driveway is a 1978. They'll haveta pry both of 'em outta my cold dead hands, that's for sure. Funny thing is both of them pass current standards for clean air emissions. Neither has any emission controls on the motor.